A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

"El Peregrino Pasante"

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC 77; Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones18; Logrono-Leon 19.
'Net surfing on an idle afternoon, I stumbled across this: https://www.diariodepontevedra.es/articulo/pontevedra/peregrino-pasante-el-camino-es-una-droga/201811151744191009476.html.

Can it be that the Passing Pilgrim is calling it quits?!?! The end of an era: he's been walking the Way since 1972! I wonder if he'll still be there in his little stall when I pass the Logrono reservoir for the last time, this coming September! I'd enjoying seeing him again!

I encountered Marcelino in his stall back in 2015. It was a beautiful day, a quiet day, and we chatted for a quarter of an hour about -- of all things! -- Franco and the Nationalist Crusade ... See photo. ... A crank? Perhaps, but I found him to be absolutely charming, and blessed with a keen mind.

(BTW, the lady in purple is the Forum's own 'Sillydoll'.)

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Can it be that the Passing Pilgrim is calling it quits?!?!
Doesn't look like it at all from the article -- "Además, rechaza fijar un plazo límite para finalizar la peregrinación. "Para mí el tiempo no existe", explica tras poner de relieve su rechazo a las nuevas tecnologías por la carga de estrés que aportan al día a día."

Somehow, I've never come across this chap.

BTW there's something quite silly in the box at the bottom of the article -- suggesting that 870 Credenciales were used for 3200 KM and attached together to form a giant 14 meter long one -- well, my current Credencial is for 5000K, is 8 of them, and is 3m40 long -- about 11 times that number of Credenciales would add up to about 37.4 meters, not 14 ; and 14 meters would still be just 4 times the number I'm using this year, so about 32 of them, and if these were the type that you can only stamp on one side, just about twice the space I have on mine for stamps (but at least that sounds practicable).

870 is more likely to be the number of Credenciales that he's accumulated since 1972, and the author of the article likely mistook that number as relating to his latest 2018/2019 14m one.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
Doesn't look like it at all from the article
But yes: "Recorrer el Camino de Santiago acabó convirtiéndose en una necesidad para Marcelino Lobato, 'el peregrino pasante', que pasó por Pontevedra con destino a Santiago, donde pondrá fin a medio siglo de caminatas en las que acumuló 110.000 kilómetros."
That day will come for all of us at some point, sooner...or later. Not many of us will have accumulated that many kms before that happens, though.
Buen camino, @rappahannock_rev , every single precious step of it.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
I can remember meeting Marcelino after Logrono in 2006. He offered us apples and gave us a nut which he had signed. I still have it.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
But "fin a" just means "after", it doesn't mean he's stopping.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
but the newspaper article says "pondra fin a" and this means "he will put an end to". So I guess, he intends to put an end to his pilgrimage due to age/health reasons now.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
To me it looks like he is quitting after 50 years. His legs are giving out and he hurts on some of the climbs and it is taking some of the the joy out of the camino and I guess he wants it to be full of joy. He will be cutting his hair like matadors (I guess a symbol that his career is over).

Although the subtitle for a few paragraphs say he accumulated 14 meters of credentials in a year a paragraph below indicates that these are credentials he has gotten since 2004.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
but the newspaper article says "pondra fin a" and this means "he will put an end to". So I guess, he intends to put an end to his pilgrimage due to age/health reasons now.
OK

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%