• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"El Peregrino Pasante"

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
'Net surfing on an idle afternoon, I stumbled across this: https://www.diariodepontevedra.es/articulo/pontevedra/peregrino-pasante-el-camino-es-una-droga/201811151744191009476.html.

Can it be that the Passing Pilgrim is calling it quits?!?! The end of an era: he's been walking the Way since 1972! I wonder if he'll still be there in his little stall when I pass the Logrono reservoir for the last time, this coming September! I'd enjoying seeing him again!

I encountered Marcelino in his stall back in 2015. It was a beautiful day, a quiet day, and we chatted for a quarter of an hour about -- of all things! -- Franco and the Nationalist Crusade ... See photo. ... A crank? Perhaps, but I found him to be absolutely charming, and blessed with a keen mind.

(BTW, the lady in purple is the Forum's own 'Sillydoll'.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can it be that the Passing Pilgrim is calling it quits?!?!

Doesn't look like it at all from the article -- "Además, rechaza fijar un plazo límite para finalizar la peregrinación. "Para mí el tiempo no existe", explica tras poner de relieve su rechazo a las nuevas tecnologías por la carga de estrés que aportan al día a día."

Somehow, I've never come across this chap.

BTW there's something quite silly in the box at the bottom of the article -- suggesting that 870 Credenciales were used for 3200 KM and attached together to form a giant 14 meter long one -- well, my current Credencial is for 5000K, is 8 of them, and is 3m40 long -- about 11 times that number of Credenciales would add up to about 37.4 meters, not 14 ; and 14 meters would still be just 4 times the number I'm using this year, so about 32 of them, and if these were the type that you can only stamp on one side, just about twice the space I have on mine for stamps (but at least that sounds practicable).

870 is more likely to be the number of Credenciales that he's accumulated since 1972, and the author of the article likely mistook that number as relating to his latest 2018/2019 14m one.

Doesn't look like it at all from the article
But yes: "Recorrer el Camino de Santiago acabó convirtiéndose en una necesidad para Marcelino Lobato, 'el peregrino pasante', que pasó por Pontevedra con destino a Santiago, donde pondrá fin a medio siglo de caminatas en las que acumuló 110.000 kilómetros."
That day will come for all of us at some point, sooner...or later. Not many of us will have accumulated that many kms before that happens, though.
Buen camino, @rappahannock_rev , every single precious step of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can remember meeting Marcelino after Logrono in 2006. He offered us apples and gave us a nut which he had signed. I still have it.

But "fin a" just means "after", it doesn't mean he's stopping.

but the newspaper article says "pondra fin a" and this means "he will put an end to". So I guess, he intends to put an end to his pilgrimage due to age/health reasons now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To me it looks like he is quitting after 50 years. His legs are giving out and he hurts on some of the climbs and it is taking some of the the joy out of the camino and I guess he wants it to be full of joy. He will be cutting his hair like matadors (I guess a symbol that his career is over).

Although the subtitle for a few paragraphs say he accumulated 14 meters of credentials in a year a paragraph below indicates that these are credentials he has gotten since 2004.

but the newspaper article says "pondra fin a" and this means "he will put an end to". So I guess, he intends to put an end to his pilgrimage due to age/health reasons now.

OK

Has he been in his stall by the reservoir this summer? With fruit on the table, and walking sticks on the side?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think I met him in Finisterre in Nov 2017. He was standing on the side of the road to the lighthouse handing out his note cards to passing people, with additional cards for sale.

Didn't realize he was a camino institution.

About "pasante"...I don't know why he adopted this nickname.
But pasante could mean "passing" (as in heraldry, related to an animal painted on the shield in an attitude of walking). Or (much more usual) a person that has finished his studies but not his thesis; and an intern, a person that works for a legal firm or an institution for a limited period of time, to gain experience, and skills.
Just another unrequested and uninteresting footnote from Felipe. :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I met him in Finisterre in Nov 2017. He was standing on the side of the road to the lighthouse handing out his note cards to passing people, with additional cards for sale.

Didn't realize he was a camino institution.

I know him in Finisterre, it is a different guy

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do you remember what day you met him Rev? I think I was pretty close to you and I met him September 15 that year. (2015)

If anyone picks up news of the Peregrino Pasante, please post it to the rest of us.

If he was solely dependent upon Camino custom to support himself, he'll be hurting by now....

If anyone has any 2022 news of the Peregrino Pasante, please post it to the rest of us. I've enjoyed several curious conversations with him over the years. Not a bad guy! .... I'm thinking about walking past his booth sometime next year.

1664236204300.png1664236204300.png

He even has his own signpost on the camino.

Hot bout dat!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20170927_101241905.jpg
    IMG_20170927_101241905.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If anyone has any 2022 news of the Peregrino Pasante, please post it to the rest of us
I emailed my brother Jim, who will be passing by in a couple of days. Could it be my brother will get El Cello Finito from him? Perhaps that will be worth a lot of money.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back