• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El Perro -

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Time of past OR future Camino
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Deeply engulfed by my hood of my jacket in the rain, a little after Silleda this September on the Via Sanabrés, I hear a loud sniffing to my left.
Peering out I spotted a large white herding dog that had crept up on me and was now eagerly greeting me. For some reason she was following me... I could see that she was slightly dirty, drank half the water in a fresh puddle and seemed to have been walking for quite some time...
Ever so often she would wait at a corner and signal "ye´ coming", as if to guide me along.....
We crossed the AP53 and spying Bandeira in the distance, I hoped that this was her home and current destination. But no, as we came into the town I barely managed to bar her from following me into a lazy Sunday café...
I then progressed to Albergue Casa Leiras near Dornelas, and entering the place, I now saw this white dog again, quite done, lying on the cement...
She had followed another couple to this place , and not for the first time, it seemed, as the agitated Italian owner was explaining..., he was quite fed up with this dog El Perro...
He threw it out onto the street by nightfall and barred the gate in the wall, but it came back again .
Next morning she was gone, hopefully home, we hoped, whereever that would be...
The narrative was, it had turned on humans as her clientel, instead of herding cattle.
She was between jobs, we joked as we ate our lovely evening meal..thinking she would not be seen again..
Until Susanah, that is, when I spied it leading an American couple to the nice Albergue Reina Lupa by the roadside of the N525, just 10 K short of SdC.
Fate finally caught up with her shenanigans.
Mamma at the Cafe who owns the albergue, called the owner many times to have her picked up....But they were milking, they later explained , so had not heard the telephone for the longest time......
The old girl was deaf as it turned out, and was known to bark at the lorries passing by and so she did into the small hours of the night !! - She could only hear the deep hum of these lorries and bark endlessly.
She had gone without proper food for days as noone wanted her follow them..

Luckily the owners came to fetch her again very late, but she nearly made it to Santiago, as a herding Pilgrim´s Dog...!
They were living at least 30 kilometres away..
It was said it took three to handle her and she did not get into that car willingly...

El Perro- the Escapiste...

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Deeply engulfed by my hood of my jacket in the rain, a little after Silleda this September on the Via Sanabrés, I hear a loud sniffing to my left.
Peering out I spotted a large white herding dog that had crept up on me and was now eagerly greeting me. For some reason she was following me... I could see that she was slightly dirty, drank half the water in a fresh puddle and seemed to have been walking for quite some time...
Ever so often she would wait at a corner and signal "ye´ coming", as if to guide me along.....
We crossed the AP53 and spying Bandeira in the distance, I hoped that this was her home and current destination. But no, as we came into the town I barely managed to bar her from following me into a lazy Sunday café...
I then progressed to Albergue Casa Leiras near Dornelas, and entering the place, I now saw this white dog again, quite done, lying on the cement...
She had followed another couple to this place , and not for the first time, it seemed, as the agitated Italian owner was explaining..., he was quite fed up with this dog El Perro...
He threw it out onto the street by nightfall and barred the gate in the wall, but it came back again .
Next morning she was gone, hopefully home, we hoped, whereever that would be...
The narrative was, it had turned on humans as her clientel, instead of herding cattle.
She was between jobs, we joked as we ate our lovely evening meal..thinking she would not be seen again..
Until Susanah, that is, when I spied it leading an American couple to the nice Albergue Reina Lupa by the roadside of the N525, just 10 K short of SdC.
Fate finally caught up with her shenanigans.
Mamma at the Cafe who owns the albergue, called the owner many times to have her picked up....But they were milking, they later explained , so had not heard the telephone for the longest time......
The old girl was deaf as it turned out, and was known to bark at the lorries passing by and so she did into the small hours of the night !! - She could only hear the deep hum of these lorries and bark endlessly.
She had gone without proper food for days as noone wanted her follow them..

Luckily the owners came to fetch her again very late, but she nearly made it to Santiago, as a herding Pilgrim´s Dog...!
They were living at least 30 kilometres away..
It was said it took three to handle her and she did not get into that car willingly...

El Perro- the Escapiste...

I had the same experience with the same dog last June. She followed me for about 25 km. When I stopped in a bar on the outskirts of Santiago she switched to a group of three peregrinas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had the same experience with the same dog last June. She followed me for about 25 km. When I stopped in a bar on the outskirts of Santiago she switched to a group of three peregrinas.
I rest my case, she knows the ropes....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Awwww.
Good to know - heads-up to all the Sanabres and Invierno pilgrims. 😊

(I never saw her. Which is probably a good thing. Had she followed me into Santiago, she would have been one heck of a surprise for @SYates!)

Been there, got the feline (in that case) t-shirt ...
BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back