• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Electric Coil?

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Hello All,
I have frequently read comments by others about the usefulness of an electric heating coil to be used for boiling water along the way. I am considering purchasing one of these for our upcoming Camino. Where can I buy one (I live in Barcelona)? Thanks for any ideas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello All,
I have frequently read comments by others about the usefulness of an electric heating coil to be used for boiling water along the way. I am considering purchasing one of these for our upcoming Camino. Where can I buy one (I live in Barcelona)? Thanks for any ideas.

Once in France try Darty for a thermoplongeur. A cup of water takes no more than 2 minutes to boil.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I will not be in France this time as I am walking the Del Norte route.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello All,

Hi @lindam. For a limited time, the Electric Coil Club is offering reduced membership rates.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

I have not found one in Spain and have had to use one bought in the US with an adapter plug taped on with duct tape. My coil bit the dust at the end of my 2018 camino, but—talk about synchronicity—i met up with @C clearly the next day and she gave me hers. So yes it’s true that not everyone loves their coils but I wouldn’t walk a remote camino without one!

I remember years ago I found an in-line ferretería in Spain that sold them. I’ll have to hunt for some posts with that info.

Thanks for your reply, Laurie. I am wondering if yours died as a result of using an electrical adapter rather than a converter? I'll keep looking to see if I can find one with Euro specs. I see them listed on Amazon Spain but will see if I can find one in a shop or a second hand on-line site.

Thanks for your reply, Laurie. I am wondering if yours died as a result of using an electrical adapter rather than a converter? I'll keep looking to see if I can find one with Euro specs. I see them listed on Amazon Spain but will see if I can find one in a shop or a second hand on-line site.
No clearly not, it has both 110 and 220 or whatever those numbers are. I used it for at least 8 years. Try ferreterĂ­a julio online if it still exists.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Found two on that site. Big price difference.

http://www.ferreteriajulio.com/Mobile/calentador-por-inmersion-rower-c2x15256684

http://www.ferreteriajulio.com/Mobile/calentador-de-vaso-economico-c2x20844663

Thanks for the link but I can't see them listed on this site.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Found them. One seems to be more industrial and the other for travel (the lesser priced one). Thanks for the information.

You'll find them in well-stocked hardware stores in Spain. That's where I finally found one about halfway through my Camino.

I bought several earlier this year trying to find the smallest of a good quality, bought several which where either too big or I did not trust the quality (only one very thin copper wire inside the plastic cable). I did find one which I have used frequently on this year's camino. I do not know where you live - here you can find it on amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U0PA7M/?tag=casaivar02-20

It has an US plug and I cannot remember whether it came with an adapter for Europe. Anyway it is very good and small enough to go into a cup or glass.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used one and found it very helpful, while traveling and while staying in snooty hotels who want you to buy their $9.00 cup of coffee rather than be able to make that first eye opening cup of the day in your room. Unfortunately I neglected on one occasion not to heed the warning not to have it plugged in unless the coil was submerged in water. That was it for that coil!

I have used one and found it very helpful, while traveling and while staying in snooty hotels who want you to buy their $9.00 cup of coffee rather than be able to make that first eye opening cup of the day in your room. Unfortunately I neglected on one occasion not to heed the warning not to have it plugged in unless the coil was submerged in water. That was it for that coil!
Ah yes, the cardinal rule of the electric coil. It must be immersed in water whenever you either plug it in or unplug it. I learned that rule years ago from @mspath and it is important, especially since it is not totally intuitive.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought my electric coil from Amazon. It came with a North American plug and a standard European adapter plug, which plugs in to the American plug, but no adapter to change the electrical current. It boils very slowly if plugged into lower power American current, but much faster with the European plug when plugged in to European current. As I bought it for use on camino, it is quite satisfactory for my purposes. Like peregrina2000 I keep the European plug attached at all times, but it is identical to the plug that I use for charging my phone in Europe, so either can be used if one is missing or broken. And don't forget to put the coil in water before you plug it in and leave it in water until it has boiled then unplug it before taking it out. Otherwise, for safety reasons, it becomes immediately unusable.

I bought one online last year only to have security at Sydney airport take it. I don’t see the difference between that and a hair straightener or hairdryer but we all no that there is no point arguing.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Back