• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electric Coils - Mugs - And the Passage of Time.......

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, having read all the great tips here, an electric coil is on my list.

But 2 questions........

What type of lightweight mug do you use with the coil? Metal burns the mouth when drinking, so plastic? But what type of plastic will stand up to the heat of the coil?

I have been looking at mugs here......
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/kitchen-stuff-c8/cups-mugs-plates-bowls-c90
Some nice stuff on this site!

The other question is related to time.........and kind of related to the mug too.

I want to use the coil to boil rice, to take with us in a flask. Yes I know, ......... Don't ask....... Long Story..........
But if "she who must be obeyed" can be assured of warm Rice on tap, a happy little teddy bear she will be.

So ... the coil may be bubbling away for 15-20 minutes.

Is the coil likely to blow?

And maybe a metal mug would be safer ?

Any tips from coil 'experts' most appreciated. Or electricians!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As long as the plug is in the water, there is no risks: the water will limit his temperature to 100 degree C
The problems will then arise if all the water boils out....
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What type of lightweight mug do you use with the coil? Metal burns the mouth when drinking, so plastic? But what type of plastic will stand up to the heat of the coil?...

My cup is study dishwasher proof plastic. You can see it here.

No brand. Bought off the shelf while in NZ years ago. Embossed 'dishwasher safe' on the bottom. Like most of my kit inexpensive, sturdy and dependable!!

MM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No brand. Bought off the shelf while in NZ years ago. Embossed 'dishwasher safe' on the bottom. Like most of my kit inexpensive, sturdy and dependable!!

MM

Then I shall find a similar one and test it out :) Many thanks.

Based on the recommendation from another member of the electric coil club (of which you are now also a member, robo, :)), I bought this cup.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.js...ZRz0-TOeAVpPRArT3js1hZ80sNRdkuq6aK0Ztsw_D_BwE

Wow, that's a long address (Margaret, I need to learn to do what you did in your response with a one word link!), hope it works. I love it because it has a webbed handle, so it's easier to fit in the pack than ones with a rigid handle, and it's very light (I tossed the lid since I won't be walking with liquid in it).

Buen camino, Laurie

Wow, that's a long address (Margaret, I need to learn to do what you did in your response with a one word link!)...
Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,

Copy the actual link into your browser. Click on a word or phrase in your post to use as a link lead in. Click the 7th icon above which resembles a flat oval and insert the actual link from your browser into that space. Voila!

Happy linking,

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A titanium mug with a plastic rim.

Either the plastic mugs or a titanium mug may be enough if your rice volume is small, but if you need/want more volume, something like the MSR Titan Kettle might be a better bet. At 118 grams with lid and handles for nearly a litre volume, it's a good volume to weight ratio. Evernew also makes so fairly good and lightweight pots in this category too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.