• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electrolytes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are eating a balanced and sensible diet while walking then you should have no need for electrolyte supplementation. If you are sweating excessively and losing crucial elements in consequence you need to reconsider your clothing and your hydration regime. Electrolyte supplements are recommended in cases of diarrhea and or vomiting. Not for moderate exercise in sub tropical environments. A pilgrimage to Santiago is not a triathlon.

Your liver will thank you for a little moderation in all things

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I call it a day after walking I grab the biggest bottle of water from a bar after a beer and drop the required electrolytes in and drink it whilst I unpack and sort myself out and the head out for dinner. The rest I drink in the morning …..works for me and everyone I’ve walked with.

Not sure if serious 🧐

Electrolytes are in the body to help control fluids and muscles. Sweating and exertions will lose electrolytes throughout the day causing muscle cramps and less effective fluid management in the body. However, drinking them, in tablet form as an example, in your water keeps the body ”running” efficiently.

A useful and informative article about electrolytes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any recommendations regarding replacing electrolytes during and after a long day's hike?

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.
Hi John,
I use Hydralyte while walking...but not every day, just after those long, difficult & hot days. I'm amazed how quickly it picks me up!
Comes as liquid, powder or disolvable tablets (I use the fizzy tablets, most convenient method), different flavours & reasonably priced.
Not sure of availability in NZ, but as they're readily found here, I'm sure you can source them too.
Hydralyte.jpg
Happy trails.
👣🌏

Last edited:
Not sure if serious
I was serious in my agreement with the question. Walking all day does not seem to me to be, typically, beyond the range of conditions that normal body functions can handle. Therefore I rely on healthy food and drink to compensate for the extra stress, rather than taking specialized tablets. Of course if someone is prone to an imbalance, or has other conditions, some special measures may be wise.

Bananas, fresh orange juice, and my personal favorite - Aquarius, which is sold in every bar in Spain just for this purpose. It's essentially Gatorade, but I think it tastes better.
I second the Aquarius suggestion. My first Camino trip I started to collapse after a hard 30k because I tried keeping up with a young soccer player. An Aussie nurse recognized the dehydration signs and got Aquarius into me and then some water. Worked like a charm! I always walk with Aquarius supplementing my water now and never have cramps or any issues. Aquarius has less sugar than most “sport drinks” and also has a sugar free version if you are so inclined.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I Cramp..bad,hard and long after exertion.
When shooting Rugby matches all day on the beach, ime having my legs turning hard as wood and cramping by hr six of at least 12 hr days.
I use Pedialyte.its for little ones...some to all have a slippery thickness to them so from the first huge swigs i refill the bottle with water until its down to the last 3d
Any number of pickle juice in little bottles in between
Gatoraid/poweraid is just sugar water to my system.
Ill down in between 16 to 20 12 oz bottle waters, which i hear can be dangerous.although I can do 4-5 gallons ish a day when down in industrial situations
I Am about 270lbs and 2 meters tall and require a lot of liquids!😆

Eating foods such as bananas, watermelon and salted nuts should be enough that you don't need electrolyte tablets but they're light and convenient and it wouldn't harm to have a few emergency supplies on hand if your dietary intake isn't optimal on any given day, for whatever reason.

Either/or ... dietary or tablet form - whatever works for you is the best.

I normally try to rely on diet to keep everything okay but I do carry some dissolvable electrolyte tablets in case of need. My use is very occasional -generally overexhertion on a hot day, more often than not they just end up coming home with me again, but they are nice to have if I do feeling out of balance (often quite literally )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A banana in the morning and Aquarius once or twice a day. Maybe a small bottle to add electrolyte tabs to if you sweat a lot. I don't add anything to water I carry in my CamelBak to avoid bacterial/fungal growth.

Look for electrolyte capsules geared towards ultramarathoners and cyclists. I use products like Hammer Nutrition’s Endurolytes and SaltStick capsules. There are other brands as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any recommendations regarding replacing electrolytes during and after a long day's hike?

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.
Best easily transportable solution we found was electrolyte powder or Magnesium powder/sports powder to add to your water. We Bought packets in the US before going on Camino and when we ran out we found some in a sports store in Pamplona and then in a Pharmacy/Pharmaceria while on Camino, we were also able to find some in a larger “super mercado” Or supermarket located in the sports drink area.

Aquarius drinks are fine when You’re stopping and they’re available to you however the 2 downsides to them, are they come in either a can or a 1.5L bottle which we found large, heavy and cumbersome but better than nothing for sure!

Photo added of what I bought in the US, they are small packets, light and easy to transport, they worked the best! Buen Camino!

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If your muscles are cramping, give a little thought to your heart, which is also a muscle. Bananas and Aquarius work for me to prevent cramping of leg muscles and the little muscles in your hand, the first place your body starts to cut the supply of electrolytes. I am not a doctor, by the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't own any stock in this company, but I purchase at the local Walmart a product called "NUUN" hydration. It's cheap (about $ .50 a tab) and it's designed to go into a standard (plastic) bottle of water. It wasn't my go to before but has become that. It's very easy to carry (small plastic tube) and not heavy. Not unpleasant to taste. It's an add on to the thing you do with your diet. (By the way, on my first Camino there was a wonderful nurse from Australia who happened to carry a number of small Pediolyte packages that saved my .... stupidity... ). They may be the most effective option but fairly $$.

I found a Powerade around 10 am gave me a nice pick-me-up for the rest of the day's walk. The drinkable yoghurt was a good way to start the day ... as well as being quite cheap.

If you are eating a balanced and sensible diet while walking then you should have no need for electrolyte supplementation. If you are sweating excessively and losing crucial elements in consequence you need to reconsider your clothing and your hydration regime. Electrolyte supplements are recommended in cases of diarrhea and or vomiting. Not for moderate exercise in sub tropical environments. A pilgrimage to Santiago is not a triathlon.

Your liver will thank you for a little moderation in all things
Agree with Tincatinker. I have taken various physical fitness courses, had gym memberships and trained with the military. I learned that only extremely arduous/long sports activities and intense training practice in very hot weather require supplements. In 10 Caminos with numerous 40 km days in a row, I have never taken supplements or bought those fancy "electrolyte" replacement drinks--and never had any heat related problems. Just drink lots of water and eat healthily. Caminos are not triathlons.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.
Most people who walk the Camino are not experienced long distance hikers or athletes. And most people are not aware of the amount of hydration their bodies need in general, not to mention during any sort of exertion.
It is actually possible to drink TOO MUCH water as well, therefore possibly causing other problems. It cannot be assumed that everyone will automatically be well hydrated by simply eating a balanced diet and drinking some water. Many people don’t drink enough fluids even while just sitting around their house on their day off. Subpar hydration is a common issue among all ages.
Pilgrims would do well to learn about hydration during activity before setting out on the Camino.
With regard to electrolytes, especially with warmer weather on the way, it is not a bad idea to be prepared by carrying some electrolyte tablets or powder in case these are needed. They aren’t needed on a regular basis but are handy in case of an emergency or sometimes just for a little boost.
It would be nice if everyone understood how to hydrate sufficiently in order to avoid dehydration, but people often do not have that knowledge. Another fact people may not be aware of— both coffee and alcohol are dehydrating, so folks need to keep this in mind while trying to achieve a balance.
I carry electrolytes and end up giving them away more often than taking them myself.
But there have been times when I was darn glad I had them in my kit.

I am on the Camino now. I brought some electrolyte replacement powder stuff with me, thinking that it might come in handy if the temps went crazy, especially on the meseta. I think I’ve used it twice, and less than the recommended amount, on days on which I felt like I was sweating a lot or was especially worn out. It did pick me up again amazingly fast, and I’m glad to have it, in case it’s needed. But it’s not something I need every day. That said, for most of my Camino, it’s been unseasonably cool. If you end up in a hot stretch, I imagine you’d find yourself reaching for it more.

I also read something about electrolyte levels being key to the prevention of blisters. Something or other about fluid and tissues. I don’t even know if that’s true, but it makes sense to me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.
I bring along small packets of , EmergenC electrolytes power and dump one in every liter of drinking water. I feel a difference . I walked the Camino once in August( never again) and it was tough enough . But I generally carry a dozen little packets

My practice is to purchase a couple of bananas along with other fruit when I am shopping during the latter part of the day. One gets eaten immediately, and the other the next morning. When I arrive at an albergue or other place I am staying, I will make up an electrolyte drink, and consume that while I am unpacking and setting up my bed.

On brands, if I can find NUUN, I will get them, otherwise I visit a pharmacy along the way and get a pack, normally of sachets. Most sachets only make up a cup or less of drink, so normally I add a couple to a 500ml bottle.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This thread got me thinking. Some of my favourite go to trail foods are bananas, yogurt, canned fish - foods that came up on the link about electrolytes. I love the gazpacho hint. I salt my food and eat plenty of olives. 🫒
I stop and eat some of the above food every couple of hours while walking and drink smaller quantities of water very often. I was told that is a better way to stay hydrated, rather than a big drink less often.
A previous thread on recovery food and times also has me eating fairly soon after I stop walking, rather than waiting till all the normal Camino ‘housekeeping’ is done.
I always have some electrolytes with me but have rarely used them and actually didn’t like them in my water - so guessed they weren’t needed.
However - I do take magnesium as this is one mineral that this body needs regularly even when not walking.
How fast and far we walk, what and when we eat, weather, and individual body type are all a factor In whether to use electrolytes or not.
Thanks for all the tips on good electrolyte brands. I will still continue to carry them, if not for myself then maybe for someone else.

This thread got me thinking. Some of my favourite go to trail foods are bananas, yogurt, canned fish - foods that came up on the link about electrolytes. I love the gazpacho hint. I salt my food and eat plenty of olives. 🫒
I stop and eat some of the above food every couple of hours while walking and drink smaller quantities of water very often. I was told that is a better way to stay hydrated, rather than a big drink less often.
A previous thread on recovery food and times also has me eating fairly soon after I stop walking, rather than waiting till all the normal Camino ‘housekeeping’ is done.
I always have some electrolytes with me but have rarely used them and actually didn’t like them in my water - so guessed they weren’t needed.
However - I do take magnesium as this is one mineral that this body needs regularly even when not walking.
How fast and far we walk, what and when we eat, weather, and individual body type are all a factor In whether to use electrolytes or not.
Thanks for all the tips on good electrolyte brands. I will still continue to carry them, if not for myself then maybe for someone else.
Thank you, Rita. I love olives. I'm starting my Camino on the 26th of August. Can't wait! 😎

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.
My approach to to carry electrolyte tablets - bought Hydrolate in Australia- and would put a couple into my 800 ml water bottle and drink the lot after the day's walk, as soon as I had signed in at the night's accommodation. When the Hydrolate ran low, I simply too the pack to a Pharmacia and asked for an equivalent. Language was seldom a problem - while I speak little Spanish, someone in the Pharmacia generally spoke passable English, and having the Hydrolate tube meant that I was able to get an equivalent product...

I sweat readily when working and thought I would need electrolyte replacement. In the end, had no problems with muscle cramps or other conventional symptoms of electrolyte depletion.

A couple of caveats...
  • I initially put the tablets into the water bottle before starting walking and sipped the solution whilst walking, but I found that, despite rinsing the bottle at the end of the day, mould began to grow inside the water bottle (with predicable gastric consequences...) so I limited myself to taking them after the day's walking.
  • One of the products that I bought in Spain had very high (by Australian standards - 600 mgm vs 200 mgms from memory) levels of Potassium and Magnesium, so I was quite strict with myself and limited myself to two a day - too much potassium can stop the heart, and I wasn’t going to test the boundaries of a safe dose...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you drink water and eat good food, you don't need any special electrolyte drinks. It's not a timed race, stop every couple of hours and have a snack or a meal.

The Pilgrims in the Middle Ages were able to walk the Camino without a bottle of Gatorade, Powerade or Aquarius.

-Paul

I don't own any stock in this company, but I purchase at the local Walmart a product called "NUUN" hydration. It's cheap (about $ .50 a tab) and it's designed to go into a standard (plastic) bottle of water. It wasn't my go to before but has become that. It's very easy to carry (small plastic tube) and not heavy. Not unpleasant to taste. It's an add on to the thing you do with your diet. (By the way, on my first Camino there was a wonderful nurse from Australia who happened to carry a number of small Pediolyte packages that saved my .... stupidity... ). They may be the most effective option but fairly $$.
I’ve noticed several advocates for Nuun but beware of the effects. On one of Camino I used it by dropping a tab into my water bottle in the morning and sipping it all day. The effects were explosive. On another occasion on a hike in the USA I did the same with the same results. Very embarrassing!!!
Follow the instructions on the pack religiously.

I’ve noticed several advocates for Nuun but beware of the effects. On one of Camino I used it by dropping a tab into my water bottle in the morning and sipping it all day. The effects were explosive. On another occasion on a hike in the USA I did the same with the same results. Very embarrassing!!!
Follow the instructions on the pack religiously.
Sounds like you experienced a side effect of some forms of magnesium.

Thanks in advance.
Buen Camino.

Take a look at this video. I found it really useful and well researched. (his other videos on hydration and nutrition worked for me too)

To jump to the answer, I took saltsticks whilst walking and an Aquarius at the end of the walk.

Just as an aside. This was the first Camino (3 previous) that I did not have joint pain, muscle soreness, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis. I put it all down to electrolyte supplements. It was the only thing I changed from previous Caminos.

Obviously your conditions and mileage will vary.......

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nunn! They are brilliant. My husband uses them often when working (we are landscapers) as he can sweat for Wales.... When cycling both of us need them daily or we get cramp.... I think some people use up their electrolytes more quickly than others.... We certainly have a healthy diet and plenty of water - but without the Nunns - both of us get cramp - but he is far worse than me.... A tab a day each in hot weather if cycling!

Everyone's body is different, and blanket statements about the Camino not causing dehydration because it's a relatively easy walk are actually dangerous for many people. Dehydration occurs under many conditions, and sweating profusely, or even feeling thirsty, is not always necessary. If your body is losing muscle strength and you are feeling unusual fatigue, even if you are not climbing mountains or running a marathon, please stop and do what is necessary. Better yet, maybe have an Aquarius as preventative care. I'm looking forward to having my first of this year's trip in about 4 weeks.

I am training for my 1st Camino. It's HOT where I live. I started using a Nunn tablet electrolytes in the water I carry with me on training walks and OH MY!!!!! I'm very glad I could access a restroom- quickly. I didnt realize it would have "that" effect.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To anyone advocating Aquarius have you actually read the label here in Spain (I suppose it's possible that it's different in different countries) but there's really not much in there to help in cases of dehydration?

Apart from dehydration, there can be an almost opposite effect where too much water can effectively "flush out" the electrolytes we do have in our bodies. There's a medical term for it and it's not pleasant and potentially fatal.

Electrolytes are available in just about every farmacia either as (flavoured) powders or tablets (soluble and not).

Powdered ones are great to make tepid water more palatable but can interfere with nozzles on bottles and camelbacks. I find the tablets the most convenient. Swallow with water 😀

As suggested above, moderation in all things is probably the best way but I'd always look to have some electrolytes if out in hot weather. Edited to add: On me. Available for use, not take them daily.

Last edited:
My walking companion was responsible for us adding a sachet of no-name farmacia llitines to a litre of water each morning which we dutifully sipped till it was (thankfully) finished on the CF in 2006.
On subsequent caminos also.
It tastes not so nice. We did not invest in commercial drinks.
I got nosy about this thread so looked up the name my friend gave the little sachets - litines. Just now I found a website with information. In Spanish. No need really to translate. Essentially, the perspective put forward seems to me to liken the product to snake oil. Not that I ever tried snake oil. 😁
I have no recommendations to make, just adding the link in case anyone would like to give it the once-over...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No need really to translate. Essentially, the perspective put forward seems to me to liken the product to snake oil. Not that I ever tried snake oil.
I have no recommendations to make, just adding the link in case anyone would like to give it the once-over...
In all fairness, the website is little more than a blog and the equating of re-hydration powders with these different products that are little more than ways to make fizzy drinks at home from a century ago is unfair and potentially dangerous.

Proper rehydration products are far from snake oil. Your companion, for whatever reason, was giving you something that was unpleasant to taste and served little purpose. There's a different lesson to take from that other than electrolytes are snake oil.

Used quite some electrolytes on my last Camino. Different brands, whatever they had in the pharmacy under "electrolitos deportivo". Honestly, i did not bother reading the label. I guess some might have been better than others, but all in all, i think they did help me quite a bit, especially on hot and/or tough days. Also, i say this with a bit of emberassment, after evenings where the quality of the drinks was lower than the quantity.

In all fairness, the website is little more than a blog and the equating of re-hydration powders with these different products that are little more than ways to make fizzy drinks at home from a century ago is unfair and potentially dangerous.

Proper rehydration products are far from snake oil. Your companion, for whatever reason, was giving you something that was unpleasant to taste and served little purpose. There's a different lesson to take from that other than electrolytes are snake oil.
Does this add anything more balanced?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Electrolytes are available in just about every farmacia either as (flavoured) powders or tablets (soluble and not).

I get my electrolytes from Chorizo sausage, Jammon, cheese, olives, nuts and chocolate with water. They taste much better than any flavored powders!

-Paul

I get my electrolytes from Chorizo sausage, Jammon, cheese, olives, nuts and chocolate with water. They taste much better than any flavored powders!

-Paul
Paul, don't know why you chose to reply to me?

Yaaay! for you that you get your ecectrolytes that way.
Not terribly helpful for vegetarians or vegans, though.
Not terribly helpful for someone suffering a sudden depletion after say, a bad dose of the runs?

You're perfectly correct that a well balanced died and a reasonable approach to the Camino will probably be fine. Some people, though, find that the Camino is very different to their usual diet and that the daily activity/sleep pattern is very different from the normal. (Indeed, isn't that why a lot of people do this?) Sometimes a little assistance in rebalancing is no bad thing.

They're great for a hangover too! :)

You're perfectly correct that a well balanced died and a reasonable approach to the Camino will probably be fine. Some people, though, find that the Camino is very different to their usual diet and that the daily activity/sleep pattern is very different from the normal. (Indeed, isn't that why a lot of people do this?) Sometimes a little assistance in rebalancing is no bad thing.
Hear, hear. Thank you, @Flatlander for putting this so succinctly.

If you have asthma and use certain inhalers, they are well known for depleting Potassium and Magnesium. Alcohol will do the rest if you drink it in the evening, then you can look forward to excruciating cramp through the night.

Eating a banana helps, but a sugar free electrolyte tablet in a couple of litres of water that you drink before bed, through the night and upon waking will do the trick without the sugar.

I carry any generic electrolyte tablets I can find. Also some generic dioralyte for when it gets really bad. I also use sodium salt when eating. That takes care of the main electrolytes.

Aquarius is nice and I do admit to occasionally liking the odd green Monster mixed into a 2L bottle of water, especially during really hard days (anything mountain related and 25+ mile days).

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.