• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Elevation Gain on Camino Frances

stevelm1

Past and Future Perigrino
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015, CP 2019, Camino Catalan 2023
After I did a search of the site (and the web) I was surprised to not find one post on the total elevation gain while walking the Camino Frances. Perhaps I am just a poor searcher, so if someone can point me to the information that would be great, or if you have it and are willing to share, that too would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My own checking of GPS tracks and analysis tools show that the cumlative elevation gain from SJPdP to the high points on the Valcarlos and Napoleon routes are about the same. Although the high point of the Valcarlos route is substantially lower than the one on the Napoleon there are a lot more ups and downs.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues next year and am starting to plan my training for the walk. I used the height measurement to get an average height gain per week to give me a number to train to for a while (I know they are different trails). I expect to walk more than 1000 training miles before I start the Camino. I can do this because I am retired. ;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues next year and am starting to plan my training for the walk. I used the height measurement to get an average height gain per week to give me a number to train to for a while (I know they are different trails). I expect to walk more than 1000 training miles before I start the Camino. I can do this because I am retired. ;-)
Why would you search for Camino Frances elevation/profile info if you are going to walk Caminho Portugues??? :):):)
Use the same links I posted and look at the Portugues... Easy peasy.

Bom Caminho!

Our total elevation gain from SJPP to Santiago was 13,000 meters. The hills at the end add up on a daily basis.

My biggest elevation gain per a Fitbit was from Ruitelan to Fonfria. That surprised me. It was 200 floors, about 2,000 feet. There is a surprising amount of "undulating" terrain with a couple of known climbs to La Faba and O Cebreiro.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wait, if you end up with a net elevation gain between SJPP and Finisterre at the ocean, does that mean SJPP is at an altitude below sea level?

Wow that is some serious training for the Portuguese. You could do the Frances twice

Wait, if you end up with a net elevation gain between SJPP and Finisterre at the ocean, does that mean SJPP is at an altitude below sea level?

I think they were talking about total/cumulative rather than net elevation gain :):) St Jean sits around 180m above sea level (varies a bit with all its ups and downs). But I'm enjoying the image of a below-sea-level version of the place!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think they were talking about total/cumulative rather than net elevation gain :):) St Jean sits around 180m above sea level (varies a bit with all its ups and downs). But I'm enjoying the image of a below-sea-level version of the place!
Except that the first link, which the OP said provided exactly what was required said:
  • Elevation Gain: 18,666 meters (61,240 feet)
  • Elevation Loss: 17,778 meters (58,328 feet)
That seems to work out to a net elevation gain, implying that the elevation at the end, on the shores of the Atlantic, is higher than the elevation in SJPP.

Except that the first link, which the OP said provided exactly what was required said:
That seems to work out to a net elevation gain, implying that the elevation at the end, on the shores of the Atlantic, is higher than the elevation in SJPP.
The finish point might be SdC (above sea level) but something still looks off.

Those figures would seem to imply that, yes! Weird.... Well - unless you and I are both missing something (or the cliffs at Finisterre are a lot higher than I thought!:eek:), I think the guy whose website gives those numbers made a mistake.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will confirm this (or point out how those numbers could be correct after all!) and perhaps provide a source for accurate elevation gains/losses to help the OP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK, so a nice gentle stroll along the Camino Frances involves the equivalent of climbing Everest from sea-level twice (no cheating by starting on the Tibetan plateau). It also involves the equivalent horizontal distance of me walking to my local pub, there and back, on 250 consecutive days. Given the average 34 day Frances that means I'd have to visit the pub 7 times a day with an extra visit on Saturdays.

I'm off to get some training in....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone know the total elevation gain and loss on the Norte?
I just did a quick check on wikiloc.com and saw a few tracks listed at over 400 miles. The elevation gain for these were about 45,000 feet (which Google says is 13,716 meters).

One of the longer tracks said it was a coastal variant and the gain was almost 50,000 feet.

I just did a quick check on wikiloc.com and saw a few tracks listed at over 400 miles. The elevation gain for these were about 45,000 feet (which Google says is 13,716 meters).

One of the longer tracks said it was a coastal variant and the gain was almost 50,000 feet.
Thank you!

Does anyone know the total elevation gain and loss on the Norte?

Gain: 20923 m
Loss: 20692 m

Irun to Santiago
Source: Gronze

edit: Just goes to show how misleading feelings can be. I did Norte in 2017 and Primitivo in 2019 and thought Primitivo was much harder. The Primitivo's cumulative gain/loss is 43 m/km. Norte's is 48.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gain: 20923 m
Loss: 20692 m

Irun to Santiago
Source: Gronze

edit: Just goes to show how misleading feelings can be. I did Norte in 2017 and Primitivo in 2019 and thought Primitivo was much harder. The Primitivo's cumulative gain/loss is 43 m/km. Norte's is 48.
Did you do the math based on Gronze figures, or is there a link to the total elevation gain/loss?
I don't doubt you, I just want to see all the numbers.

No, there is no link to the numbers as far as I know. I download the kml files from Gronze and use those for planning, i.e. calculating distance, elevation changes, stops, etc.

Did you do the math based on Gronze figures, or is there a link to the total elevation gain/loss?
I don't doubt you, I just want to see all the numbers.

I used the Camino del Norte book by Dave Whitson and Laura Perazzoli

Length 820 km, unpaved 265 km, total ascent 17,500 m and total descent 17,100 m

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back