• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Elevation Tracking

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
I have been keeping an eye on different apps, seeing what I would like to use next spring when I walk the CF. I have a fitbit, so have used that app for a while. I have also checked out mapmywalk, and only slightly browsed polarsteps and walkmeter. With fb it's just flights of stairs....I'd like to have a bit more in depth tracking, but not willing to pay either. Obviously step apps are a dime a dozen, but what apps have you used for elevation tracking?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will require a good quality digital thermometer, a kettle and some source of heat.

At sea level, water boils at 100 °C (212 °F). For every 500-foot (150 m) increase in elevation, water's boiling point is lowered by approximately 0.5 °C (0.9 °F). At 8,000 feet (2,400 m) in elevation, water boils at just 92 °C (198 °F).

At regular intervals stop, boil your kettle and record the temperature.

Yes, you will get some strange looks along the way but think of the new friendships to be made as you sit back, sip your cups of tea and enjoy the view together . . . .

I once read the journal of a Victorian explorer who did just this and spent 10 years of his life in search of the perfect cup of tea.

I have been using Gaia app. Tracks all you want plus stats at the end of the day, + tracks and live maps, it even makes tea after a long day

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second GAIA GPS. The few times that I have calibrated, it's been very accurate. Also, they keep expanding their maps of US national parks and wilderness areas. They went to a subscription model a few years ago. I have one. Not sure if there is a free version. However, I've heard a lot about Strava and seems to be a favorite of runners. I may use that (along with GAIA) for my next camino.

edit: One other thing about GAIA. It is rock solid. I have used several other tracking apps (paid and free) and none were as stable as GAIA. They would crash and/or stop tracking for huge sections.

I use the OsmAnd+ offline mapping and navigation app which I installed on my 8" Android tablet. I love it. It is feature rich. One can command it to record one's track. The track records show elevation, total climb, total descent, speed, etc., and can be exported to other devices or shared with other people. The app is extremely economical, does not need internet connectivity after one has downloaded the maps, and the maps, which are open-source, are free and show the Caminos and other hiking trails as well as lodging places, cafés, ATMs, laundromats, etc. etc.

I have no economic interest in OsmAnd, am simply a very satisfied user.

Last edited:
Wikiloc and Gaia are my favorites. Wikiloc was developed in Spain and has a large number of Spanish tracks on its site, so in addition to seeing your own elevation stats, you can see others’ for any deviations you might be considering.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use AlpineQuest.
Best €10 I spent on navigation/mapping/tracking app.
Comes with all the hiking trails laid out

I have been using Gaia app. Tracks all you want plus stats at the end of the day, + tracks and live maps, it even makes tea after a long day
IGN Mapas de España is also awesome and it is free, it has tracks for ALL the caminos, maybe it has way too much info for the app addicted pilgrim...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IGN Mapas de España is also awesome and it is free, it has tracks for ALL the caminos, maybe it has way too much info for the app addicted pilgrim...
I just downloaded this app. But rather than having tracks for ALL the caminos, it seemed to come with no tracks at all, just the base map (very nice though that base map may be). Maybe the tracks came from elsewhere and were just openable in the app?

I just downloaded this app. But rather than having tracks for ALL the caminos, it seemed to come with no tracks at all, just the base map (very nice though that base map may be). Maybe the tracks came from elsewhere and were just openable in the app?
Just look around for "caminos de Santiago" and it will lead you to a menu w all the caminos it will also read gpx or kml tracks

Click on the black diamond with the right turning arrow, 1st choice

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I discovered that this app actually gets its tracks from elsewhere. It can be used to display any track. I liked the idea of having detailed topo maps but it looked too complicated for casual use. The BASIC instructions ran to ninety or so pages in Spanish. It looked like there were many features that professionals would love though.

On my just finished camino I used Wikiloc to keep me on track and OSMand to navigate within the destination towns (because the Wikiloc tracks might end at a different place than where you want to go).

David Tallan:

The same publisher offers another app that focusses on the Camino.

Search for "Cno. Santiago by Centro Nacional de Información Geográfica".

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.