• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Elvis' bar

Juliec55

Whilst walking the Camino last month I happened to go to Elvis's bar. For those of you who may have done this in the past, do you see a resemblence to Ramone in the movie "The Way"? The reason I ask, is when I asked him where the bathroom was he pointed to the back yard. I nearly died. Of course there were two toilets out there, but you should have seen my face, I looked at him,looked at the back yard, looked at my friends and burst out laughing. If any of you are planning on walking the Camino I would really recommend you go, he makes the best Boccadillos around, you can even tell him what you want on them. Really nice, funny guy who looks just like Ramone. Felt so at home and a great place to rest along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where is it Julie? I've missed that one, and for me to miss a bar rings alarm bells.

This year my best bocadillo was in Itero de la Vega. The owner slices the ham freshly. I made a point of telling him that I remembered his place from last year and that the freshly sliced ham was really nice. Bring on this year's bocadillo with....DOUBLE HAM! Buen hip hip ham Camino! :D

Reliegos. He too carves the ham right of the ham shank. Plays all sorts of great music,Rolling Stones, Mo town. It is a funny little building all painted with graffiti type drawings. Quite funky really. If you google him I am sure you will see some photos. Quite the experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah yes, I do know it. Phew! - I thought I was losing my touch. :D I was in the other bar almost next door and just had a quick look inside trying to find someone. That's one for my list next time.

Buen Camino!

Sounds almost tempting, I really have grown to dislike bocadillos, not chorizo not jamon not serrano not lomo not york not queso sometimes tuna will do but for every one great one there are ten or twelve which can hardly be eaten. Some where near Santiago on one of the milestones - well - half kilometer stones - a grafitti may be found stating "No More Bocadillos", I didn't and wouldn't write it there but my opinion is shared by others. I am no health freak not a vegagtarin but salada mixta does it for me, costs the same and you get the bread too. The best one I ever ate? Azambuja, 50 kilometers north of Lisbon, Portugese black ham, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, and piripiri sause.

I have always likened this bar to the one in the film "dawn till dusk" it comes after a long hot haul on the Meseta-the road goes on and on and then this graffiti covered bar-my first time in the place I called in for a quick drink while waiting for the shop bus to arrive-never got to shop-the evening became a blur of rock music-good food and a salsa dancing barmaid from Brazil.
my second time around an afternoon vanished in the company of an Irish guy and a young Korean girl who sat cross-legged on the bar stool outdrinking-out-singing the pair of us-the owner seemed to pay for most of the drinks while waving a large knife and placing plate after plate of tapas in front of us-we swopped hats after he took a liking to mine-refused to let me step outside for a smoke-we somehow made it to our destination for the night 7km down the road where I had the weirdest conversation with a French woman who claimed her husband didn't sexually satisfy her anymore-we were joined by her wine carrying Husband who loudly joined in the conversation :shock:
I caught the bus into Leon the next day.
so be careful there is a shift in the time warp around this bar.
Ian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sagalouts said:
I have always likened this bar to the one in the film "dawn till dusk" it comes after a long hot haul on the Meseta-the road goes on and on and then this graffiti covered bar-my first time in the place I called in for a quick drink while waiting for the shop bus to arrive-never got to shop-the evening became a blur of rock music-good food and a salsa dancing barmaid from Brazil.
my second time around an afternoon vanished in the company of an Irish guy and a young Korean girl who sat cross-legged on the bar stool outdrinking-out-singing the pair of us-the owner seemed to pay for most of the drinks while waving a large knife and placing plate after plate of tapas in front of us-we swopped hats after he took a liking to mine-refused to let me step outside for a smoke-we somehow made it to our destination for the night 7km down the road where I had the weirdest conversation with a French woman who claimed her husband didn't sexually satisfy her anymore-we were joined by her wine carrying Husband who loudly joined in the conversation :shock:
I caught the bus into Leon the next day.
so be careful there is a shift in the time warp around this bar.
Ian

This sounds like my kind of bar. Actually, it sounds a lot like Tuesday night at my local wine bar. :)

Yes, that's the one Julie mentions. There's another one round the corner to the right, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It just happened that it was showing the Grand Prix when I was there. The olives were rotten, which is unusual and not nice. :(

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Favorite bar on the camino.

He was so embarrased to be out of rabas/calimari, that he insisted on grilling me shrimp on the spot and made his version of a "New Orleans" rub because I am from New Orleans. It wasn't anything like New Orleans (far better actually), but I loved the spur of the moment.

Great music. Odd/fun vibe.

It blows the Meson Cowboy and Casa Verde out of the water for best odd bar on the Camino.

And if you take the roman road option through here (like we did), it is only a short crossover at Reliegio, which takes you right by the bar on your way to the other option, and it feels like an oasis when you hit it.

As for The Way, I know he claims his bar was in it and has pictures of him with martin sheen hanging in the bar. I don't know the film well enough to know where in the film it appears (nor do I wish to get to know the film that well haha). I do know they never show the inside of it.

Also, worth noting, it isn't actually called the Elvis Bar. That is just one of a couple of names painted on the side of it. It actually has an official name, but I'm not sure what it is.

9299559172_9f321d5a12_z.jpg

9299551536_03310a354c_z.jpg

According to my credencial I think it's called Bar Torre, aka The Hippie Bar, The Blue Bar etc ... Had a great night there, good food, fabulous tapas, lovely wine and of course wonderful company. Unfortunately I lost them all again the next day, as I woke up to find my boots locked out in a closed garden in the next bar, where I'd got a room, so I and a fellow pilgrim had to wait until the bar cleaning lady arrived at eleven ... Definitely a weird time/space thing going on around that place. Look forward to going back!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I could see this!
I loved that little place, and the nice gal who worked with him, super sweet and each drink you bought you got a nice bite of food with it. I sat there for hours...sigh I miss the Camino!

In "The one albergue you should not miss" topic forum member @slarti mentioned that this bar is also Albergue de Reliego de las Matas. Is this correct? It is not listed (as isn't another one in Reliegos) in forum list of the albergues...

Anyway, I was in Reliegos in 2011, but stayed in another albergue. I didn't even know, that this Bar is also an albergue. Nevertheless I went in for some cigarettes and stayed there for several hours. Rock music, beer, homemade spirits, talkative owner, really something quite opposite of the meditativness of everyday Camino life :twisted:

This man is the funniest! He was awesome! :D Made us vegetarian dinners even though they weren't on the menu. Great spirit, I recommend everyone to have a stop there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
completed the camino sept 2013. you will have to trust me on this but this "Elvis Bar" is the best bar in the world run by the best bar man in the world. it is an experience in itself....... even spiritual. the test is can you leave it. trust me.

Since this thread has been resurrected allow me to kick things up a notch. La Taberna in Castrojeriz!!! Family run place very "tavernish" appearance great food and nice atmosphere, a warm welcome by the landlord. Stardust? La Taberna is mentioned by both Hape Kerkeling and Shirley MacClain in their books-not the reason to step in for sure since without them it is truly a great experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I spent a "lost afternoon" in there last fall with Grant Spangler, who keeps him supplied with Elvis memorabilia. When I learned he had none, I gave him a CD of Billie Holliday music from in my car. When we finally peeled ourselves off the barstools I brought home with me tomato seeds from his cousin's garden, three bottles of the local fire water, a chestnut seedling and a washing-machine repairman! (This guy LOVES Hospitaleros!)

Hi, Snake!

When was this picture taken? Because I was there on 9th July this year and the facade looks completely different :)

@Al the optimist - his Orujo is really great, but you should let him pour you better of the two he has, hehe. Not to mention jamon and queso, of course!!!

The picture was taken Sept 2012.

Buen Camino

"Snake"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It was the better one! When I asked for Orojo he asked me which one I wanted. I don't remember what the choices were but I recognised them well enough to remember which was the best of the two. I was so cold that I actually had two!:):)

My brother had a right hooley in this bar one day in June 2013 (were you there then sagalouts? ;)).
Being a day behind, I received a number of indecipherable texts from him all throughout the evening and it wasn't until the next morning when I got another text explaining all.
He went through the wormhole when he opened the door to this bar!!
Being a vessel of infinitely greater capacity than my brother to store alcohol, I was informed that this bar was "right up my alley" and the one I'd been waiting for all along the Camino.
Joyously, I bounded along all day refusing myself even water so as not to quench my thirst. I practically ran into Reliegos.
The bar was closed :(
I waited for two hours outside the bar next door and no sign of it opening.
Now, "Ramone" my friend, I'm not angry - everyone has the right to open and close their bar when they want.
But you're due a double day session from/with me on my next Camino, amigo!!!:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.