• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Embalse albergue is OPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No es possible!!!

Can’t help but wonder what ever happened to the stiff fine they had to pay for dumping their grey water, and other waste, into the reservoir...

Intersting for some maybe, the conditions to get the concession for 10 years: 1000€ monthly in rent, plus income taxes, add to that 2 months of rent as a deposit/bond and another 3 months worth as another guarantee.

Not a bad gig if you consider you have a captive clientele for the bar/menu on top of the bed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wonderful news, indeed!

It looked really nice from the outside...

Best news in a while for VDLP fans: after being closed for 2 years or so, the albergue at the Alcantara embalse is open for business! 26 beds, no kitchen but a bar with menu and breakfast in,cded for 15€.

https://www.gronze.com/noticias/via-plata-reabre-albergue-embalse-alcantara-14355
Is this new concrete & steel one, closer to the road, or the one another 350/500 metres further on (the old hotel?). I have fond memories of the spartan one, it was where my first attempt at a camino finished in 2013.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is this new concrete & steel one, closer to the road, or the one another 350/500 metres further on (the old hotel?). I have fond memories of the spartan one, it was where my first attempt at a camino finished in 2013.
Looks all concrete and steel to me, very sharp design, all on one floor as well. Which is why it was so ironic that its plumbing would be such shoddy work.

Just goes to show how bad my memory is maybe, but my distinct impression was that the "industrial" type building, the municipal albergue, was off the road and right at the water. While the old hotel (once known as Lindamar and with many other names through the years) was right on the camino. Do you have a different memory Mike?

Wow! The Camino provides!!! I've just started planning the Via de la Plata for next year and was wondering how I was going to walk 38 kilometers on my arthritic knees. Thats the best news.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow! The Camino provides!!! I've just started planning the Via de la Plata for next year and was wondering how I was going to walk 38 kilometers on my arthritic knees. Thats the best news.

My guess, you would have tsken the train from Caceres to Canaveral with dozens of others. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just goes to show how bad my memory is maybe, but my distinct impression was that the "industrial" type building, the municipal albergue, was off the road and right at the water. While the old hotel (once known as Lindamar and with many other names through the years) was right on the camino. Do you have a different memory Mike?

Hola Laurie, I was in a bad way, leg & feet wise when we arrived here. From memory it was the first of the two structures in that area. The old Lindamar was around another 500 metres further down the very rough track. Both places had great views over the water.
As for the comments about sewage disposal, well I thought it was a govt construction so it would have had the necessary permits? I thought the story behind its closure was that they just could not get anyone to manage it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

That is how I recall it. The ex Lindamar is right by the road, we stayed there in 2015 (very nice btw but obviously now not interested in pilgrims :()
I walked to the municipal albergue, it is further down the path.

As for the comments about sewage disposal, well I thought it was a govt construction so it would have had the necessary permits? I thought the story behind its closure was that they just could not get anyone to manage it!
Nacho, manager of the albergues in Rio Lobos and Galisteo said it was because of a sewage issue. Maybe it needed different treatment before discharging into the reservoir.

It was also Nacho who explained that the fine was something along the lines of 10M€ but that considering that it was one level of gov’t owing it to the next (muni owns the albergue and owes the fine to the next level of gov’t, the one that looks after the reservoir and/or environnement type of set up) that no one would ever pay for this poor construction flaw.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it's the other way round. I think the Lindamar was off the road and the Albergue farther down.
Johnnie -this is not a really good shot but it was taken from the muni albergue looking over the hotel as the sun sets
upload_2017-11-3_22-27-57.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gronze saysit’s open in winter but thst you must reserve. This is the email addy:
embalsealcantara@gmail.com

As to where it’s located, again Gronze says its 600 m off Camino

Se encuentra a pie del pantano 600 metros fuera del camino, en un desvío de la nacional a mano izquierda bien señalizado, 1 km después de cruzar el río Tajo. Es una construcción aislada, sin servicios cercanos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It says on the gronze website that it's open all year but you have to book in Winter. (Ie warn them someone is coming! :) )
https://www.gronze.com/extremadura/caceres/embalse-alcantara/albergue-embalse-alcantara
Cheers domigee, I’ll carry a phone this time. I was told by a fellow pilgrim in feb 2016 the albergue was open. I arrived at dusk and was resigned, to continuing along the road to the next albergue. As, I was making my way back to the main road a young couple with a baby stopped, asked if I was lost. They ran me to the next albergue. They refused money for fuel. I believe they live in one of the little shacks/ shelter on that road leading down to the albergue. They had very little, yet they were the most genuine human beings, I’ve ever met on any of my travels. The next morning, I got a taxi from opposite the albergue, which took me back down to where I was picked up, the previous evening. I had a bit of a heated discussion with the taxi driver,he was looking for double the quoted fare. Needless to say, I paid the agreed amount. One day I was humbled by kindness and the next, nearly coming to blows with an opportunist. The variables of human nature! Cheers, Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back