A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Embalse de Alcántara open again!!

Flem

"The old man"
Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances
2016 Finisterre-Muxia, Portogues
2017 del Norte, Ingles
(2018 Via de la Plata)
There have been some roumers that the albergua is closed. But I just recieved a mail from the albergua. It is open for pilgriims.

Advertisment

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Yes. The German pilgrim who died last week was planning to stay there. When he found it closed he kept walking. We know this because he then realised he was in trouble and telephoned his wife in Germany. Sadly he did not make it to Cañaveral.

The Embalse albergue was one of my favourites but if it is closed it is a very long stretch without faculities, in particular no water, no food and almost no shade. I would now always check before relying on it.

Flem

"The old man"
Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances
2017 del Norte, Ingles
(2018 Via de la Plata)
Probably a good idea to give them a call a couple of days ahead.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
If one happens to be caught in the vicinity without water and during hot weather, there are cottages and (usually, I think) people around, not to mention a reservoir full of water. Although one would be tempted to push onward rather than making that detour, it may not be wise. (Easier to say in retrospect, though.) Another point is that the spot where the road goes down from the highway to the albergue is a good meeting spot - for example, if you have called ahead to Canaveral for a taxi.

Flem

"The old man"
Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances
2017 del Norte, Ingles
(2018 Via de la Plata)
Thanks C clearly I will have that in mind.
Pitty though if all pilgrims skip this albergua i an area with long walk in hot weather.
Anyway it is good with several options: call the albergua to see if they are alive or call a cap if the my feet wont carry me further. ;o)

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Open / closed? This revolving door of alburgue status is doing my head in. I note on Gronze that it was closed on the 12th and enquiries on the 14th had is still closed... But the OP indicates it reopened on the 15th.

Last time we walked the Vdlp many of the flash alburgue touristicos were closed undergoing indeterminate repairs, was hoping for better luck this time.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
It would be good news indeed if this place could manage to stay open. Best of luck to them. I wished it was open when I passed last year!

Davey

Open / closed? This revolving door of alburgue status is doing my head in. I note on Gronze that it was closed on the 12th and enquiries on the 14th had is still closed... But the OP indicates it reopened on the 15th.

Last time we walked the Vdlp many of the flash alburgue touristicos were closed undergoing indeterminate repairs, was hoping for better luck this time.
Well, what I can tell you is that there was new management that opened the albergue a few months ago, after a three or more year closure to deal with sewage and other infrastructure issues. The issue that caused the most recent closure of a couple of weeks was not defined but described as “serious” (grave was the Spanish word the licensee used in a WhatsApp to me).

The good news is that there is no issue with management. This guy has a multi-year contract. The only question is whether all of these repairs have solved the indeterminate issues, and I woud recommend a whatsapp the day before to confirm the albergue´s status if I were you.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%