• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Embarazada en el Camino!

Sue Whyte

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
Hola dear Camino friends!

I am planning to do the Camino Primitivo the first two weeks in August. I will be 25 weeks pregnant starting, am quite fit and enjoying a healthy and carefree pregnancy so far thankfully. I have done many Caminos before and am still hiking regularly and feel great.

I am just wondering about the suitability of the Camino Primitivo...I believe it is quite rocky and can be muddy. What are people's experiences of hiking this route - would I be in much danger of falling? I am known as the mountain goat by my hiking friends but obviously my centre of gravity will be a little off! I am also concerned about being left bedless - I have no problem booking ahead in the privately owned albergues, but are these to be found along this way (I know they won't be in the same abundance as on the Francés route).

Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated, but no judgement please!

Sue

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Primitivo is far from technical, and muddy after snow melt, which is not in August.

If you want to make sure you have a bed, just book ahead. Easy peasy.

One thing, bars are few and far between, so peeing in the bush may happen more often than not, and also make sure you being enough water.

You will need 3 liters of water. That's what I carried in May when temps were in the 70s and 80s. There are almost no fountains along the Primitivo. Read my blog and you will see how after escamplero there is nothing.
The route is very steep in places but it's just walking through paths. No danger of falling off a cliff. Poles will help you on the steep downhills and help you maintain balance.
But be aware, the majority of the first 10 days or so (until Lugo) is very rural and you won't even find a bar for 10 km at least. Most days not even until you finish walking 20-25 km later. If you have any emergency situation you won't be near a major city. Make sure you have a phone with you just in case. Like Anemone said, book ahead so you won't have to worry about getting a bed. There are plenty of private albergues and pensiones. We stayed mostly in those.
Musingsfromthelastfrontier.com

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take a hard look at your travel insurance and make sure it covers the cost of complications and all the costs that arise if you are stuck in Spain with a premature baby. Not saying this will happen, but if it does, then you'll be glad that you spent some money on the best insurance.

Another important point to consider, some airlines have restrictions until which week they will let a pregnant woman fly. I don't know from where and how you are traveling to the Camino, so that might be something you want to check out beforehand also (if you haven't done so already). Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much for all the tips everyone, very much appreciated. I have really good travel insurance that I've double checked covers me in pregnancy, as long as there are no complications. In terms of flying, the limit technically is 36 weeks, but most airlines require a letter from your doctor saying you're okay to fly from 30 weeks onwards, some even 27/28 as you found Domigee and SYates.

My main worry was hydration; I know how much I usually drink on the Camino, but as you mentioned HeidiL, it is even more important in pregnancy. Are there any parts of the route where you would have to go longer than 10km or so without being able to refill on water (my camel pack holds 2l)? Alaskadiver...you mentioned there are no bars on this route for 20-25km in some parts, does this mean there is no access to water at all?

With regards to peeing in bushes Ivar, that's no issue, I'm well used to it!

Again, thanks so much to everyone for all your practical advice.

Sue

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And what will you do if there are? Buen Camino, SY
Get to a hospital? Like every body else would? It's a walk, from village to village. Surely their are pregnant women living in those villages?

And as a bonus, the child gets a EU citizenship!

Get to a hospital? Like every body else would? It's a walk, from village to village. Surely their are pregnant women living in those villages?

Sigh - I was referring to the limitations on her travel insurance that excludes complications. Please note what I have quoted from her post. BC SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Probably not, unless that child is born on Spanish soil and either the father or mother are Spanish OR the complete opposite: if the State does not know who the parents are. Also, if the child of a foreigner is born in Spain, and the country of origen does not provide the child with a nationalty, then the child will get the Spanish nationalty.

If the child is born in Spain, the parents will have to take certain bureaucratic steps to assure that the child gets their nationality so they can return home together.

Probably not... .
No right of land? Wasn't long ago it also wasn't right of blood. Oh, well, the OP can now walk after her baby is born as there is no bonus citizenship to be earns. You have to admit that beats a Compostela any day! :cool:

Thanks so much for all the tips everyone, very much appreciated. I have really good travel insurance that I've double checked covers me in pregnancy, as long as there are no complications. In terms of flying, the limit technically is 36 weeks, but most airlines require a letter from your doctor saying you're okay to fly from 30 weeks onwards, some even 27/28 as you found Domigee and SYates.

My main worry was hydration; I know how much I usually drink on the Camino, but as you mentioned HeidiL, it is even more important in pregnancy. Are there any parts of the route where you would have to go longer than 10km or so without being able to refill on water (my camel pack holds 2l)? Alaskadiver...you mentioned there are no bars on this route for 20-25km in some parts, does this mean there is no access to water at all?

With regards to peeing in bushes Ivar, that's no issue, I'm well used to it!

Again, thanks so much to everyone for all your practical advice.

Sue

Once past Escamplero we had very little opportunity for water. Assuming you walk and don't taxi you will go stretches of more than 10km without having a water source. Some possible bars mentioned in the guides are closed on Monday. We did get water on two separate days from locals but even that is not possible on some stretches. There is no water on the hospitales route until you reach Lago. That's more than 20km past Campiello. The entire hike into Grandas de Salime- only water was 2 miles before arriving at the hotel/bar. Like I said, read my blog and you will see how we went without a single water fountain for days. A minimum of 2 liters is a must and if walking in the heat of summer then I'd say 3. After Lugo it's not a problem.
Many people walk in a dehydrated state and don't care. I don't recommend that considering that you are pregnant. I carried 3 liters. It's not a big deal.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would really reconsider this route in your pregnant state. That's my unsolicited advice but I feel the need to offer it. There are many, many stretches that are very remote. At one point, when I was in so much foot pain from my plantar fasciitis, we asked some locals if there was a way to call a taxi. They had no clue. Literally, had no clue how to go about calling for a taxi. We were in some remote village area with a road going nearby and the locals had no clue. LOL. I walked the remaining 10km an got to where we where going but it gives you an idea of what it's like out there.

Don't cry for me Argentina...
Water available from Esclampero to Grado. Not 20km +.

Don't cry for me Argentina...
Water available from Esclampero to Grado. Not 20km +.
Not on Mondays. The day we walked from Escamplero to La Doriga was a Monday. There is only 1 bar before Cornellana and that was closed. We had to get water from a local who shouted at us from the street. La Doriga to Salas was also without water. We had to get it at a local house.
Berducedo to Grandas-no water until the dam at around 19-20km
The hospitales from Campiello to Lago has no water. The bar in Borres doesn't open until after 6:30 or 7:00 and it's too close to be helpful. That's well over 17km without water over steep terrain.

Please don't give the OP the sense that water is plentiful. I just walked this route less than a month ago and she needs to know to carry at least 2 liters.

Your song reference is bizarre. What were you trying to imply?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not on Mondays. The day we walked from Escamplero to La Doriga was a Monday. There is only 1 bar before Cornellana and that was closed. We had to get water from a local who shouted at us from the street. La Doriga to Salas was also without water. We had to get it at a local house.
Berducedo to Grandas-no water until the dam at around 19-20km
The hospitales from Campiello to Lago has no water. The bar in Borres doesn't open until after 6:30 or 7:00 and it's too close to be helpful. That's well over 17km without water over steep terrain.

Please don't give the OP the sense that water is plentiful. I just walked this route less than a month ago and she needs to know to carry at least 2 liters.

Your song reference is bizarre. What were you trying to imply?
Yes on Mondays. Who walks from Esclampero to La Doriga, especially when in need for water?

Why not stop at the many points in Grado, including the albergue (open all days?!) or filling up at the vending machine in town, or at the farm to your left as you leave town, and then at the albergie in San Juan de Villapanada?

Why scare people making ok routes look difficult? Not qs sexy in a blog, but also not the truth.

What I am implying? That you are making a big deal out of nothing when it comes to the Primitivo. There is water, food, and the terrain is far from need following blogs to make it. Only iffy spot is the Hospitales route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Forum, Sue, and congrats on your pregnancy! Is it your first?

I haven't walked the Camino Primitivo yet but I *have* been pregnant four times and suffered from dehydration with the first and wanted to share a bit of my story: when I was 20 weeks pregnant with our first baby we moved from an apartment to a townhouse (in the US). During the move I was so busy I forgot to drink as much water as I should've been, probably over the course of two days. One evening I started getting back pain...this became so severe that I had to stay in bed for hours while the pain got worse and worse. I had no clue what was happening or why I felt so poorly... when I started getting contractions and threw up we went to the hospital and with an ultrasound they determined I was going into premature labor. They gave emergency meds through an IV line to stop the contractions and since they had determined I had been dehydrated, the meds also were for rehydration. If the contractions had continued and not responded to the meds there would've been no way to stop them and I would've delivered a little boy who wouldn't have survived (back then he would not have been viable at 20 weeks). This is going to sound melodramatic but I'll say it anyway that sometimes I still get tears when I think about how close it could've been, and thank God that we have our healthy teenager with us these days, instead of having had to deal with a stillbirth because I simply didn't drink enough water and overexerted myself during the move.

After an overnight in the hospital I could go home, but the obstetrician prescribed strict bed rest for two weeks so contractions wouldn't start again.

If you feel walking the Camino, and the Camino Primitivo, are for you this season and your doctor agrees, go for it. But - and unsolicited advice here - having gone through the beginning stages of premature labor and knowing the medical care I needed - I would not walk at all, or I'd choose a different route based on the good knowledge that @alaskadiver has as far as the inaccessibility of water when you might need it. Knowing that the August heat can cause you to become dehydrated even before you might know it, too - there are very serious, dangerous situations that can occur for your baby in an "inhospitable" environment. I would recommend that you ask yourself, "Is this wise?" before embarking on a Camino in August. Only you can determine that, and I respect that you're trying to get input and counsel before making your decisions. Keep us posted and happy pregnancy!!
Faith

What I am implying? That you are making a big deal out of nothing when it comes to the Primitivo. There is water, food, and the terrain is far from need following blogs to make it. Only iffy spot is the Hospitales route.

I would think @alaskadiver is, rightly, more making a big deal out of being pregnant, and how important it is to keep healthy to not jeopardize the baby. If there are even moderate stretches without enough water that would be a huge deal if I were pregnant and contemplating the route.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would think @alaskadiver is, rightly, more making a big deal out of being pregnant, and how important it is to keep healthy to not jeopardize the baby. If there are even moderate stretches without enough water that would be a huge deal if I were pregnant and contemplating the route.
But there are bars and restaurants every few km, except on the Hospitales route. There is also little walking away from roads, so a taxi is always a few minutes away. Honnestly, the Primitivo is not super adventurous. Sorry if this makes for a less interesting blog or tales, but it is what it is.

@Anemone del Camino I have met @alaskadiver personally here in Santiago and neither she nor her husband are sensationalists! They simply have walked the Primitivo very recently (weeks ago) and share their experiences here on the forum and on their blog to help others.
Buen Camino, SY

PS As @natefaith has stated, there is a big difference in walking the Camino and and walking the Camino whilst pregnant, especially when it comes to (de)hydration ...

Yes on Mondays. Who walks from Esclampero to La Doriga, especially when in need for water?

Why not stop at the many points in Grado, including the albergue (open all days?!) or filling up at the vending machine in town, or at the farm to your left as you leave town, and then at the albergie in San Juan de Villapanada?

Why scare people making ok routes look difficult? Not qs sexy in a blog, but also not the truth.

You are insulting as usual.

We wanted to stop in Doriga. There is an albergue there.
We did stop in Salas. We filled up with water there because we nearly ran dry. That's why it's important to carry enough.

I'm not trying to scare people. Just making sure they carry enough water.

Write your opinions and stop trying to disparage me.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.