• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Embarse de Alcantara is Open!

tominrm

Time of past OR future Camino
I am about two days away from Embarse de Alcantara and remember reading about the albergue being closed. I do not know how up to date the information is. My guide (2018 Kelly ) and German Outdoors guide do not mention the closure so I assumed it is open. However, the web site for the albergue is not working (alberguedealcantera.com) so I wonder if it is. If I walk 22 km and find it is not open, I will be in big trouble as there are not much of anything in the area. Has anyone stayed there in the last few days? Can anyone confirm it is open/closed? Thank you in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Delighted that the albergue at Embalse de Alcantara has reopened.I stayed here in 2011 and not long after that I saw it listed in the Guardian Newspaper Travel Section as one of the top 10 best hostals in Europe.I couldn't believe after such a great review that it had closed.Glad to see that it is maintaining the same standards today.It is in a stunning location and the ambiance was very friendly and relaxing.

Open today and with a new manager as of last November. The building is owned by the Junta de Extremadura and they have a license arrangement with a private person. The young man employed here is employed by the licensed. He does everything—cooks (food reported not bad; I haven’t eaten yet), cleans, checks people in, etc.

15€ for bed, breakfast, and laundry. Men and women in separate rooms. Small bottles of beer are1€, which my German beer drinker friends say is very high. Dinner, I think, is 10€.

At least four people that I know of must have missed the turn-off because they never arrived. As you are walking on the side of the highway next to reservoir, keep an eye out after you pass the entrance for the Tajomar nautical club. It’s right before the spot where the camino is about to take you off the highway on the right side. The entrance is on the left, a few hundred meters down the road. Sign says Albergue Turístico.

I am bumping this thread up to the top. (And I also removed the question mark and made the title a statement rather than a question).

On a recent Live from the Vdlp thread, there was confusion about the albergue at the embalse de Alcántara, which is in between Casar de Cáceres and Cañaveral. It makes a good stage from Cáceres if you like 30 km, or shorter from Casar de Cáceres.

It is definitely open, the guy with the contract who is in charge can be contacted via whatsapp at 34 664 26 27 42 (C Clearly has confirmed that it’s fine to post the number). They take reservations.

Highly recommended place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back