• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Emergency phone number 112

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
It has been mentioned a number of times that the emergency phone number in Europe is 112. It occurred to me to wonder if that would work from my Canada-based phone number, or if I'd have to add some prefix numbers. However, some googling tells me that it will work, so I thought I'd post this in case you were wondering too:
  • The GSM network uses 112 as a world-wide emergency number. When 112 is dialed from a GSM phone, the network will automatically redirect you to the local emergency dispatch, if it’s available.
Good to know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, useful information for wherever one is travelling.

Yes, useful information for wherever one is travelling.
GSM is far from a worldwide mobile standard. The USA, Japan, a fair proportion of South America, New Zealand, etc, etc have other emergency numbers. Some carriers will download the emergency number information to your phone when you join their network, but I have not had to test this, fortunately, and have no experience of its effectiveness.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back