Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Emergency rescue from Napoleon Route on April 28th?

billbeahen

Hi
I walked the camino in 32 days in 2008 starting from SJPDP on April 30th. As I walked through the pass there were many patches of snow near the summit. Another peregrino told me that there had been a blizzard on April 28th and that five pilgrims had to be emergency evacuated when they became snow bound. I would like to have confirmation of this information if anyone knows.

I have written a book about my camino experience entitled "One Step at a Time: Encountering the Many Faces of the Camino de Santiago - Natural, Human and Divine". I am in the process of submitting the manuscript to potential publishers and if anyone has any advice on agents or publishers who would be interested in such a work, I am open to all suggestions.

Bill Beahen
Ottawa, Canada

A

Anonymous

This is the French newspaper for the region

http://www.sudouest.com/

and you can make searches for specific dates and so on ... very easy to search (I had a quick look but didn't find anything).
If your French is hopeless try using the Google Translator.

Hope this helps

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hi Bill,
I am half-way through reading a book by Rob Ward, another Canadian, called "All the good Pilgrims" in which he writes about the many pople he meets along the way - including Saint James!!
The blurb says:
In All the Good Pilgrims Ward returns to walk the camino for the fifth time and shares the way with a Canterbury Tales cast of characters, including a Brazilian wizard, a Bavarian Buddha, a repentant French legionaire, a hard drinking Quixote is a wheelchair, Our Lady of the Bundle Buggy, the Three Marias, "Spice" pilgrims, Templars and Saint James himself, in the guise of a sturdy Dutchman.

I'm not sure about publishers in Canada, but in South Africa, getting a book published is extremely difficult, almost impossible if one has already been written on the same subject. If you don't have too much luck with your book, you might want to consider self-publishing through Lulu.com, or any of the other web-based self publishing houses.

Good luck!

billbeahen

Thanks Br David and Silly Doll for your information.

I checked the French newspapers for the region as you suggested Br David and came up empty. I will put this down to the camino misinformation service which sometimes offers fanciful tales based on imagination.

All the best,

Bill

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Bill, if I remember correctly somehwehere on this forum there is a report of the incident you are talking about. have a good hunt on here and I am sure you will find the posts. if I remember correctly there were links to the reports. Cheers, Janet

Advertisement

Booking.com