• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Emergency Sleeping Bag & Liner combo? Lightweight options

sparkart

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
Hi All!
Being the OCD lightweight packer I am, I'm in the process of accumulating my camino gear, even though I'll be starting at the beginning of October. I only plan to do about 3 weeks worth (100-200km from Pamploma, bus to Ponferrada or Sarria, and continue on to Santiago), and most likely to stay in hotels half the time or more, depending on availability and which towns I end up at the end of each day.

I've read a variety of helpful comments on the pro's and con's of taking a sleeping bag vs a liner. The sleeping bag I currently have is 450g. Very lightweight but I still want to reduce, mainly because I have scoliosis and I want my overall pack to be less than 5kg (ideally 4kg). I feel like a silk liner may not be enough for me either (temperature wise).

I was actually wondering is anyone has had any experience using an emergency sleeping bag, eg:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017Y5ISWU/?tag=casaivar02-20

I'm contemplating taking this as it's 113g, and a silk liner (less than 100g). I would be interested to hear if anyone has used this combo or even just the emergency sleeping bag :)

And if anyone has any other suggestions for an uber lightweight yet warm experience I'd be interested to hear!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All!
Being the OCD lightweight packer I am, I'm in the process of accumulating my camino gear, even though I'll be starting at the beginning of October. I only plan to do about 3 weeks worth (100-200km from Pamploma, bus to Ponferrada or Sarria, and continue on to Santiago), and most likely to stay in hotels half the time or more, depending on availability and which towns I end up at the end of each day.

I've read a variety of helpful comments on the pro's and con's of taking a sleeping bag vs a liner. The sleeping bag I currently have is 450g. Very lightweight but I still want to reduce, mainly because I have scoliosis and I want my overall pack to be less than 5kg (ideally 4kg). I feel like a silk liner may not be enough for me either (temperature wise).

I was actually wondering is anyone has had any experience using an emergency sleeping bag, eg:

I'm contemplating taking this as it's 113g, and a silk liner (less than 100g). I would be interested to hear if anyone has used this combo or even just the emergency sleeping bag :)

And if anyone has any other suggestions for an uber lightweight yet warm experience I'd be interested to hear!
If this bag 'reflects heat' as described it may have a foil lining which could mean it is noisy like the emergency foil blankets? If so, it may not be popular with others trying to sleep. In an emergency most wouldn't care, but night after night?

Have to agree with CathyJ...this is probably a noismaker.

You might want to check out enlightenedequiptment.com
They have quilt that go as lightweight as 300/320 grams. I have one of there quilts and its superlight yet very comfy.
Just a silk liner in oktober would not be enough for me and i dont like to use albergue blankets....brrrr. This maybe may be fine at the start of the season, but at the end? But who am i ... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

They have quilt that go as lightweight as 300/320 grams. I have one of there quilts and its superlight yet very comfy.
Just a silk liner in oktober would not be enough for me and i dont like to use albergue blankets....brrrr. This maybe may be fine at the start of the season, but at the end? But who am i ... :)

Awesome! Never came across these quilts before :D I have my short height to play in my favour too (hello junior sizes). May I ask the temperature you've selected for your quilt? The lightest option for me is 50°F/10°C with a 950 down but am not sure if it'll suffice for October...

Yes Dutch, thanks for that website. Those quilts look awesome.

You might want to have a look at this liner instead of a silk one as the reviews I've read indicate silk doesn't add much in the way of warmth. I'm combining this liner with a -7c bag for Kilimanjaro this April for the really cold nights at the summit. S2S claims it will give you 25f/14c additional heat. I think that's optimistic but still worth the 400 gm of weight for the heat it does provide.
http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Thermolite®+Reactor+Extreme+Liner&o1=0&o2=0&o3=149
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I just received my quilt from Enlightened Equipment (they take about five weeks to deliver.) I got the Revelation http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-ready-to-ship/ that goes down to 20 degrees for my April to June walk. Warmer than I'll need, but given the cost, I'd like to use it for colder backpacking trips down the line. I am also bringing a silk liner http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX9Z7W/?tag=casaivar02-20. The Revelation bag only has a short zipper at the bottom, it's really more of a quilt than a mummy bag, so the liner is needed underneath. The silk liner is less weight than the thermolite type.

I just received my quilt from Enlightened Equipment (they take about five weeks to deliver.) I got the Revelation http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-ready-to-ship/ that goes down to 20 degrees for my April to June walk. Warmer than I'll need, but given the cost, I'd like to use it for colder backpacking trips down the line. I am also bringing a silk liner http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX9Z7W/?tag=casaivar02-20. The Revelation bag only has a short zipper at the bottom, it's really more of a quilt than a mummy bag, so the liner is needed underneath. The silk liner is less weight than the thermolite type.
Hi Sabbott
You are correct that the silk liner weighs less. For Sea to Summit it's 130 gm vs 400 gms but the thermal properties are very different. Sea to Summit however only notes that a silk liner "Increases the thermal performance of sleeping bags" whereas with the Thermolite "Increases sleeping bag performance by up to 25 F (14 C) ". Again, I have healthy skepticism that it will achieve a full 14c but do know that it greatly increases the warmth inside my sleeping bag. If one was worried about the cold, I'm not sure if silk would be the best option even though it is a weight savings of 270 gm.
Just my thoughts about weight vs. function!
Buen Camino.

I most note again that weight is a major factor for me due to my scoliosis, while still retaining some functionality :) Although my current sleeping bag is 450g, I'll ideally like to have something that's under 300g, keeping in mind that I will choose to stay in hotels whenever I can and therefore carrying a sleeping bag/quilt/liner etc is secondary for 'just in case I have to stay in albergue' nights.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I most note again that weight is a major factor for me due to my scoliosis, while still retaining some functionality :) Although my current sleeping bag is 450g, I'll ideally like to have something that's under 300g, keeping in mind that I will choose to stay in hotels whenever I can and therefore carrying a sleeping bag/quilt/liner etc is secondary for 'just in case I have to stay in albergue' nights.

Then just go for the silk liner and when in albergues sleep in it with al your clothes if necessary.
And if your back gives you too much concern you could use the service of a transport like Jacotrans.

@sparkart i got the 50F but the long and wide version. Its still superlight and will be just fine in oktober.

It does take a while to get the quilt as they are order made. Also had some custom wishes i added to my order. Worth the wait

This quilt is so comfy.

When on Camino finishing early October, I saw another person's 'sleeping bag' that was very thin, made of stretchy lightweight material. I can't now remember the brand, and it was used by itself, but could be used as a liner also. The person loved it for ability to move easily in it, warmth, weight. Does anyone know about these for comparison to a silk liner?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No need for the sleeping bag or quilt - just bring the silk liner plus something to wear like Helly Hansen polyester long johns (and can also wear these under trousers during the day) - and, remember, this is Spain not the Antarctic - a merino wool top can also do double duty during day and night if needed

No need for the sleeping bag or quilt - just bring the silk liner plus something to wear like Helly Hansen polyester long johns (and can also wear these under trousers during the day) - and, remember, this is Spain not the Antarctic - a merino wool top can also do double duty during day and night if needed
I've spent many an hour reading forum posts on what to bring during various seasons, and many experienced walkers here do recommend a sleeping bag, especially in spring/fall. Doesn't it come down to how much you feel the cold? I do, and would rather walk with 2 lbs of liner and sleeping bag in my pack than be chilly at night. Maybe folks should try their sleeping bag/ no sleeping bag set-up at home, and see if they're comfortable.

Use your existing sleeping bag. Cut the weight of your actual pack. Take a look at zpack. Also, consider a bag service. I'm kinda on the ocd side myself, but, only so I can add an DSLR camera and extra lenses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All!

Something like this http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/sleeping-bags/magic-125?gid=62&vid=6 might do the trick for you, 265g
Buen Camino, SY

I finally got the web site to respond with this URL: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

Their products look to be an excellent solution to the value for weight proposition. The prices are tad high. But, I suppose, as these bags are all custom made, one gets what one pays for.

My only concern is for those of us who are allergic to down products....(sigh)... But for those who are not allergic and can afford the toll, these quilts and bags look like an idea solution for Camino, at least IMHO.

What kind of bag do you have. That seems light to me

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In May and June I only use a silk liner, and would consider just taking the liner in September and October too. I find almost all the Albergues I have stayed in have blankets available if you need them.

Im not sure if its a matter of "do they have 'm", but more a question of "do you want to use 'm". I know i wouldnt want to use them.

Im not sure if its a matter of "do they have 'm", but more a question of "do you want to use 'm". I know i wouldnt want to use them.
Why not? Most people do. :rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well I seldom did and only after thorough inspection....
Each to their own SabineP.

I have used them dozens of times and never had a problem with Albergue blankets.

Why not? Most people do. :rolleyes:
First: You just gave the answer yourself....most people do and i dont think they get washed on a daily or even weekly basis.

Second: my quilt is so much nicer to sleep under than a blanket thats been used by who knows how many people before being washed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First: You just gave the answer yourself....most people do and i dont think they get washed on a daily or even weekly basis.

Second: my quilt is so much nicer to sleep under than a blanket thats been used by who knows how many people before being washed.
Well all I can say is that the silk liner is the only part of the bedding I am in contact with. If you stay in a hotel, the sheets are clean, but the blankets are no different to Albergue blankets. Do you really think that hotel blankets and pillows get washed before you use them?

There are two things that I avoid using in albergues (and elsewhere):

Automatic vending machines of hot drinks (the open, drips in a plastic cup variety) because I saw them when open and saw how rarely they got a good clean.
Blankets: As a hospitalera I spend a lot of time washing (often hand washing them) and I saw the rinse that came off them and wondered if I was the only one ever washing them.

And no, I am not overly picky and used to simple life, but those two ...
SY

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well all I can say is that the silk liner is the only part of the bedding I am in contact with. If you stay in a hotel, the sheets are clean, but the blankets are no different to Albergue blankets. Do you really think that hotel blankets and pillows get washed before you use them?
First thing I do when I am on road trips and walk into a hotel room is remove the bedspread and blanket and replace them with my duvet. Same witht the pillows. I only use the, to rest sitting up in bed, but only sleep on my own. When flying I tend to stay in better hotels where one would hope hygene is better, but even that may be wishful thinking.

But I do KNOW how the bedding is treated by pilgrims in albergues: dirty backpacks, feet, dirty laundry, and yes the occational nose dripping. Yuk.

And alas the blanket does touch you, at least if you want it to cover you all the way up to your chin or if you take your arms out of the liner.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

the hotels i stay in use bedlinnen, not bare blankets and pillows. and the bedspray/blanket thing you so often find on bed (as decoratiom?) get thrown in the closet never to be used.

On the camino i bring my own small down pillow, down quilt and very lightweight matras sheet and will not use whats provided, other than the paper throw aways or washed bedlinnen. The last one is rare though.

I am not picky and will sleep anywhere, but i do draw a line somewhere.

Hi All!

Emergency blanket for sure is not breathable, you will find yourself drenched in your own sweat in the morning. I use silk liner while sleeping under albergue blanket.

.... I'll be starting at the beginning of October. I only plan to do about 3 weeks worth (100-200km from Pamploma, bus to Ponferrada or Sarria, and continue on to Santiago), and most likely to stay in hotels half the time or more, depending on availability and which towns I end up at the end of each day.

....The sleeping bag I currently have is 450g. Very lightweight but I still want to reduce, mainly because I have scoliosis and I want my overall pack to be less than 5kg (ideally 4kg). I feel like a silk liner may not be enough for me either (temperature wise).

I am an older guy and have been doing Mountaineering on glaciers and ultralight backpacking. When it was time for me to get my ultralight down sleeping bag, I talked to the owner (who is even older than I am and known for his summiting of lots of local peaks) of a local Mountaineering gear store about what I should get. He told me that he no longer bothers to use his winter rated down sleeping bag. He advised me that I would be far warmer to use a lighter weight (warmer temperature) bag and combine it with a pair of ultra lightweight insulated puff-style belay pants. The reason is that rather than insulation in the bag getting compressed by body weight and much of the mummy bag insulation weight being in places that really don't conform to the shape of your body, the belay pants are right there next to your body in all the right places. So you get the same or more "insulation material" for a lot less weight.

He told me that in the summer, he actually just takes an ultralight weight bivy sack and his belay pants along with some thermal underwear it it gets real cold on a glacier at night.

My advice and what I am looking at trying to decide between is a "breathable" metalic coated (Omni-Heat) thermal bag liner made by Columbia Sportwear, that I own, a Fleece Sleeping bag liner, and my ultra light belay pants, with Omni-Heat Columbia Sportswear thermal underwear.

Omni-heat is a metalic dot matrix on a breathable synthetic so you get both breathability and heat reflection. Nice stuff that I have used before. Very light and for me very very compact. The ultra light belay pants I would avoide anything that doesn't breath for two reasons. The next day you will have a hard time drying it out and you will end up being wet from condensation. If you wear all your clothes because you are cold and end up wet, you will not be happy the next morning when you start moving out in the cool morning air.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My Omni heat liner is less than 10 oz. My belay pants are 9.3 oz, or about 263 grams. You might want to look at such pants or lighter ones as your light weight bivy. The two combined are more than your lightweight 450 gr bag, but have the flexibility of being warm pants that can be used as pants on a cold day, pants in a Hostel, or pants under rain gear on a very ugly day. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FL4AL2W/?tag=casaivar02-20

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back