• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Emergency SOS function on iPhones

Jill81

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ’14,’19
Portuguese ‘15
Via Francigena ’16
Kumano Kodo, Japan 2017
VdlP 2018 to be cont’d
No one likes to think about the possibility of being confronted with a threatening situation in our day to day lives, let alone when walking a Camino and our first reaction is often to reach for our phones in an emergency. Here’s something that could be really useful, especially if you walk on your own a lot and wonder how you would manage if something nasty happened unexpectedly.

It’s called Emergency SOS and it’s included on the latest update for iPhones. Perhaps it’s been around for a while but I’m a bit slow keeping up with all the tech stuff in my life! Depending on the model of iPhone it allows you to automatically call the emergency services in whichever country you’re in by simply pressing the external buttons on the phone several times.

It’s not necessary to even look at the screen to call. However it’s been designed so that it’s unlikely you’ll activate it by mistake because of the number of times you have to press the button. For example, some models require pressing a button five times in quick succession. And there are other safeguards such as a warning sound before the call connects that you can select if you’re worried about finger trouble.

Additionally, it sends a text to your designated emergency contact(s) such as a friend, spouse, or parent informing them that you have called the emergency services, as well as providing your location, and updating the location if it changes. The phone then locks so it can only be accessed with your numerical pass code.

So take a minute, go to Settings on your iPhone, then Emergency SOS. It’s easy and straightforward to activate and worth doing I think!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great information to have. I have an iPhone, but I'll have to check to see if I have the latest update and the SOS function. Thank you for providing the information.

No one likes to think about the possibility of being confronted with a threatening situation in our day to day lives, let alone when walking a Camino and our first reaction is often to reach for our phones in an emergency. Here’s something that could be really useful, especially if you walk on your own a lot and wonder how you would manage if something nasty happened unexpectedly.

It’s called Emergency SOS and it’s included on the latest update for iPhones. Perhaps it’s been around for a while but I’m a bit slow keeping up with all the tech stuff in my life! Depending on the model of iPhone it allows you to automatically call the emergency services in whichever country you’re in by simply pressing the external buttons on the phone several times.

It’s not necessary to even look at the screen to call. However it’s been designed so that it’s unlikely you’ll activate it by mistake because of the number of times you have to press the button. For example, some models require pressing a button five times in quick succession. And there are other safeguards such as a warning sound before the call connects that you can select if you’re worried about finger trouble.

Additionally, it sends a text to your designated emergency contact(s) such as a friend, spouse, or parent informing them that you have called the emergency services, as well as providing your location, and updating the location if it changes. The phone then locks so it can only be accessed with your numerical pass code.

So take a minute, go to Settings on your iPhone, then Emergency SOS. It’s easy and straightforward to activate and worth doing I think!

=======

This IS a great feature. HOWEVER, and this is important; you MUST ensure that the function transmits your current ACTUAL location, not your registered location. The difference is simple but profound. Imagine being on Camino and pushing the button, only to have first responders go to your home in the US, Canada, UK, etc., not where you are, and need help.

Perhaps setting up a speed dial position for 1-1-2 is the better choice...?

When I change carriers at home, I must reregister my HOME ADDRESS so any call placed to 911 (112 in Europe) sends my home address.

All I am saying is, think this though and read the directions, BEFORE you are in need.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
=======

This IS a great feature. HOWEVER, and this is important; you MUST ensure that the function transmits your current ACTUAL location, not your registered location. The difference is simple but profound. Imagine being on Camino and pushing the button, only to have first responders go to your home in the US, Canada, UK, etc., not where you are, and need help.

Perhaps setting up a speed dial position for 1-1-2 is the better choice...?

When I change carriers at home, I must reregister my HOME ADDRESS so any call placed to 911 (112 in Europe) sends my home address.

All I am saying is, think this though and read the directions, BEFORE you are in need.

I hope this helps.

That is a good point, but for the iPhone Emergency SOS it doesn’t look like it’s necessary to reprogram any location. It uses your present location at the time of the call. Other manufacturers may have different requirements, if they offer similar services.

From their website: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208076

“Here's how it works
When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number. In some countries and regions, you might need to choose the service that you need. For example, in China you can choose police, fire, or ambulance.

You can also add emergency contacts. After an emergency call ends, your iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you choose to cancel. Your iPhone sends them your current location, and, for a period of time after you enter SOS mode, it sends updates to your emergency contacts when your location changes.”

The reason I like this feature is that if I was ever faced with a threatening situation I would hopefully be able to reach in my pocket, press the button on my phone five times and the call would be made, assuming there was a signal of course. For me, and many others I expect, that would be much faster than getting out my phone, turning it on, and dialling 112. In some situations those few seconds could make a huge difference.

Thankfully the incidence of harassment and crime on the Camino are rare, but I offer this information with the hope that it might help someone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.