• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Emilio Estevez interview about the Way re-release

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Heads up to fans of The Way. A nice interview about its re-release on Morning Joe:

He mentions many people wanting a covid reset, saying its themes now are even more resonant than 10 years ago. True enough. There may be another big wave of people inspired by the movie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Heads up to fans of The Way. A nice interview about its re-release on Morning Joe:

He mentions many people wanting a covid reset, saying its themes now are even more resonant than 10 years ago. True enough. There may be another big wave of people inspired by the movie.
VN,
I wonder if that potential Big Wave will surge/crash at this casa rurale with a family connection in Vilviestre de Muño mentioned in 2018 by Saint Mike Ii here and me here ?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wonder if that potential Big Wave will surge/crash at this casa rurale with a family connection in Vilviestre de Muño mentioned in 2018 by Saint Mike Ii here and me here ?
Good question. Are these connections are widely known?

I find myself wondering if there'll be a new spike of walkers - those who are only now learning about the movie.

Good question. Are these connections are widely known?

I find myself wondering if there'll be a new spike of walkers - those who are only now learning about the movie.
VN,
How lucky all of us are who were able to walk the CF as it was when we did.

I recall what JabbaPapa so beautifully wrote early in December regarding his fond memories of the good ways "...that which has long been and that we hope to see continue"

Indeed. May those good simple ways continue.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it is unlikely. There wasn't any significant spike after the initial release. The growth in numbers since 2010 has followed a trend that was already clear long before then. What is true is that numbers of pilgrims from the USA and Canada have increased in that time and many of those have been inspired by the film. But I don't think that it has had much influence outside the English-speaking world and we Anglophones are still a minority on the Caminos. As I understand it the planned showing of the film is a one-off single day event. My impression is that demand for it is mostly coming from those who have seen it in the past and those who have already walked Caminos. Preaching to the choir!

My impression is that demand for it is mostly coming from those who have seen it in the past and those who have already walked Caminos. Preaching to the choir!
Yes, and...coverage on the big US morning TV shows is bound to create new interest (or at least to re-ignite latent interest). That's a big market.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it is unlikely. There wasn't any significant spike after the initial release. The growth in numbers since 2010 has followed a trend that was already clear long before then. What is true is that numbers of pilgrims from the USA and Canada have increased in that time and many of those have been inspired by the film. But I don't think that it has had much influence outside the English-speaking world and we Anglophones are still a minority on the Caminos. As I understand it the planned showing of the film is a one-off single day event. My impression is that demand for it is mostly coming from those who have seen it in the past and those who have already walked Caminos. Preaching to the choir!
I selfishly hope you are right.

I have this movie on DVD and I have watch it often. I love it. It inspired us many years to say one day we will walk the Camino. We walked from Leon to Santiago in 2021. Last year we walked from Porto (central) and this year we are planning on walking the Coastal Route from Porto. This movie inspired our son as well who walked part of the Camino in 2012.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count on the times I watch this movie.
For me, double that, every year, since it came out.
It turns out that Martin's Mom was born in the same town as my GG Grandfather, Borrisokane, Tipperary, Ireland. In this part of the World, two family names dominate, Hogan and O"Meara. I am a Hogan, She was an O"Meara. So, it is very likely that Martin and I share distant relations.

I had never heard of this pilgrimage before seeing The Way. After seeing it, I couldn't get the idea out of my mind. My wife couldn't understand how it moved me in the way it did--and she wasn't in favor of my going. So I went anyway. Some will say I was thoughtless and I should have tried to understand her feelings in a way I didn't. I get that, but there are sometimes things that you must try to experience. I can honestly say there are very few days since my trek that I haven't thought back on it and relished the experience, the people I met, and even the blisters and pains I developed along the way. And, yes, I'm still married to the same woman and very happy I am. I just may have to go see the movie again for old times' sake.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

This film inspired me to figure a way to walk The Camino.
I saved money and found the time in 2015 to walk The Portuguese. What a wonderful experience.
I have since walked the Frances and parts of Norte.
I feel strongly these walks have helped me to open up to being more pleased with the unknown and open about dealing with the oddity of all humans.
I like who I have become and feel strongly that The Camino has guided me to this place.
Life is grand !

Just watching the trailer still brings tears to my eyes. I saw this film in 2011 and walked my first Camino in 2013. Emilio Estevez’ character resonated with me as I was (at the time) a 40 year-old who had recently quit a ‘cushy’ job to travel the world (ended up being ‘on the road’ for almost a decade since). The amount of negative feedback I received at the time from family, friends and colleagues was most disappointing and shocking (ie: ‘you’re throwing your life away, grow up, you’re too old,’ etc.). Throughout my world travels and especially along the Camino I fortunately found like-minded individuals where I felt completely welcomed and loved. There is a line from ‘The Way’ that I’ve since quoted to many and continues to serve as my mantra…
’You don’t choose a life, you live a life.’

I’m presently walking Camino del Norte (in Gernika) and word is there haven’t been this many pilgrims even BEFORE Covid. Not a problem so far tho. It’s awesome to see so many pilgrims walking from all over the world! Ultreia!🥰👍

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
VN,
How lucky all of us are who were able to walk the CF as it was when we did.

I recall what JabbaPapa so beautifully wrote early in December regarding his fond memories of the good ways "...that which has long been and that we hope to see continue"

Indeed. May those good simple ways continue.
How lucky we were,!
Those first steps taken after leaving an albergue in the early morning, not knowing where we would sleep that evening! No need for reservations! We simply walked😉

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count on the times I watch this movie.
The first time I saw it I thought it was pretty good but nothing spectacular. Then I watched it a second time and was hooked. I've watched it a couple dozen times now, both before and after I walked the Camino and love everything about it. I purchased the movie on Amazon Prime and can watch it anywhere now. I'll listen to the soundtrack around the house when I'm in a mood to chill.

The first time I saw it I thought it was pretty good but nothing spectacular. Then I watched it a second time and was hooked. I've watched it a couple dozen times now, both before and after I walked the Camino and love everything about it. I purchased the movie on Amazon Prime and can watch it anywhere now. I'll listen to the soundtrack around the house when I'm in a mood to chill.
Do you live in Terlingua? The Big Bend area is one of my favorite places.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great interview...I also saw this one on you tube
he announces at the end that a sequel is in the works...

Great interview...I also saw this one on you tube
he announces at the end that a sequel is in the works...
Thanks for posting, Bill. Most interesting in the last minute about the proposed sequel. Of course! Tom will read Jack's book, and off we go!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After 5 caminos, I still watch The Way with affection and a sense of deja vú.. after all I have but seen it before, but now I am kidding myself and feel the first time experience. - with a glass of good Ribeiro del Duero wine at my side...
I saw the film after my first camino, and what I do is to buy 2 dvds online and give out to friends that want to see it and some of them come back....

Last edited:
Another article in La Voz de Galicia where Estevez talks about the sequel in development. To be set in Nigeria, Brussels, Amsterdam and the Camino del Norte. He also mentions the possibility of further films or even a tv series.

I was to start on May 16th which would have been my Mother's 101st birthday, but the airlines had other ideas for me. So the 17th it is. I watched The Way in a movie theater a decade ago. I would say that it sparked the interest I had in walking the Camino. I will be on the Portuguese Coastal route, honoring my Portuguese heritage and my mother.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was to start on May 16th which would have been my Mother's 101st birthday, but the airlines had other ideas for me. So the 17th it is. I watched The Way in a movie theater a decade ago. I would say that it sparked the interest I had in walking the Camino. I will be on the Portuguese Coastal route, honoring my Portuguese heritage and my mother.
Bom Caminho!

Another article in La Voz de Galicia where Estevez talks about the sequel in development. To be set in Nigeria, Brussels, Amsterdam and the Camino del Norte. He also mentions the possibility of further films or even a tv series.
I'm delighted that this is going to happen. Although he doesn't give too much away in the interview, the locations seem to imply that at least Jimmy Nesbitt - he mentions Ireland - and Yorick will be back. The Brussels connection is a puzzle.

Another interview: US Travel writer Rick Steves talks with both Sheen & Estevez on his podcast.

Yup, in the US it's showing in select theaters only on Tues., May 16. And I agree that the primary audience is probably people who've already seen it, or have already been planning/dreaming about their camino(s), or are remembering their own past camino(s).

Only 605 miles from Port Aransas..easy drive

Zoom Discussion of The Way​

Hi everyone! I wanted to invite you to join us for a post-screening discussion of the movie "The Way" on Wednesday, May 17th on Zoom.

We will have an open discussion on the themes of the movie and how they relate to our personal journeys. It's an excellent opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals and explore the spiritual themes of the movie in a supportive and inclusive environment.
Topic: The Way Discussion
Time: May 17, 2023 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://als-org.zoom.us/j/87367426759?pwd=SHpjWUMyT1NsUlJWTDM5WEtYVjI2dz09

Meeting ID: 873 6742 6759
Passcode: 363438

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Way.... I saw it so many times... "Don't choose a life... live one...."
The Camino itself is an amazing experience, but for me - my last camino in 2022 was a bit of a disappointment: it's more commercial and less of a Christian pilgrimage... In 2016 and 2019, for example, there was a community evening with personal sharing and prayer in Granon, in 2022 it was just... just what? no prayer, no sharing... Before there was a big picture on the wall with the cross from Taize, now there was a clean place... In the Cathedral of Santiago, the front entrance is closed (there's that column of St James that every pilgrim for a thousand years could touch - now it's part of the museum visit - paid, of course. And a few others like it.. unfortunately.

Where on earth can I watch this movie? It is widely unavailable and even used DVD copies say the format would be incompatible with UNited States DvD players

He is very diplomatic about the Catholic nature of the Way of Saint James by putting forward the very universal reasons of why it is open to one and all.

Very clever.

This insight gives me hope for the sequel.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Watched the movie in 2013 and started planning my Camino the next day. I was on the Camino Frances a couple of months later, with my wife! After my first Camino I returned home and spent the next six years building my business to levels I never imagined, and I credit my first Camino for this. I have since walked three more times looking for more clarity and inspiration. The Camino is one of a few life changing experiences I've had.

One regret I have is being able to share this with my sons. Many of you speak about experiencing the Camino with your children and it makes me envious. I can only speculate what this experience would have done for our relationships.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me, double that, every year, since it came out.
It turns out that Martin's Mom was born in the same town as my GG Grandfather, Borrisokane, Tipperary, Ireland. In this part of the World, two family names dominate, Hogan and O"Meara. I am a Hogan, She was an O"Meara. So, it is very likely that Martin and I share distant relations.
Wait a minute, @MichelleElynHogan! I will send you a private message but my mom’s family, Heenan, is a big name in Borrisokane. I took my parents there on their 50th wedding anniversary, years ago. And this is how I got my Irish passport!

Sorry for the off-topic ramble.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back