• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for Lightening my Backpack for a 6-day Camino Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
just weighed my all in, everything I think I need backpack and it came in at 7.85kg/17.2#. All opinions welcome. Picture below.
I am a first time walker, walking May 29-June 3, travel days on either side. I will either be walking 6 days on the CF starting in Pamplona or 6 days Ingles, depending on my ability level closer to the trip (I walk 3/km an hour with my pack and can only do 15-20km a day at the moment and still be a pleasant person). I am open to private or albergue but would like to try an albergue at least once. I have purchased the lightest weight gear I can afford at this time, so new gear isn't an option unless it can be replaced for $20 or less.
(All clothing choices are in the backpack weight, so a small bit will come off but not enough to move the needle.)
Row 1: Osprey Kyte 36 pack (3#), poles (Walmart), quilt (16oz), memory foam pillow (9oz)- note- I tried the inflatables first and they sucked
Row 2: contacts, glasses, hearing aid charger, prescription meds- necessary
Row 3: rain jacket (10oz), sun hat, 2 collapsible water bottles (4 oz total), daypack (4 oz), 3 nylon shirts- 2 short, 1 long sleeve
Row 4: nylon hiking pants, 2 nylon shorts, 2 pairs undies, 1 bra, 3 pairs socks and 1 liner, teva sandals
Row 5: travel toothbrush and mini toothpaste (airline amenity kit, super light), travel shampoo and conditioner (doubles as soap and laundry), sewing kit mimicking a first aid kit (don't have yet), power bank mimicking my phone (had to take the picture), phone cord, USB plug mimicking the travel adapter (haven't bought yet), mini flashlight, car sham mimicking a towel (haven't bought yet), foot goo, KT tape, conditioner mimicking sunscreen (haven't bought yet), tissues/TP, chapstick
Row 6: lacrosse ball, comb and hairbands, deodorant (will get a smaller one), eye mask and ear plugs, base layers (only warm thing I packed), fleece buff, nylon gloves, plastic fork, nylon dress for night
Thanks for the help!
More: Not sure if you're thinking about rain pants - if you want them, consider sewing up a pair of leg sleeves (chaps) of light weight silicone impregnated nylon. Size them to your inseam on the inside and your hip on the outside, with ties to your belt or belt loops. They should be loose enough to fit over your shoes. Mine are 2.4oz, add warmth and wind protection, and can be an extra layer when sleeping.

I prefer dedicated flashlights lights over phones - a pinch light that won't blast other's eyes indoors might be all one needs and I once hiked half the night with one. If you might be hiking at night, a single AAA cell flashlight that throws a beam (1oz with battery) will do the job.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walmart poles are heavy in general!
Switching to Gossamer LT5 poles will immediately drop a pound from the weight. They are a little more expensive than other poles, but worth every cent.

I will not repeat what has already been said several times by many.

What may be of benefit, and this comes from my personal experience, no matter how light / heavy your pack is on your first Camino, it will be much lighter, possibly by half, on your Second Camino.

The secret to this is making one thing do at vert least, two jobs. As an example, I would never take a long sleeve t-shirt. Instead, I have a rain jacket and I also have a microfleece pullover.

Hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
just weighed my all in, everything I think I need backpack and it came in at 7.85kg/17.2#. All opinions welcome. Picture below.
I am a first time walker, walking May 29-June 3, travel days on either side. I will either be walking 6 days on the CF starting in Pamplona or 6 days Ingles, depending on my ability level closer to the trip (I walk 3/km an hour with my pack and can only do 15-20km a day at the moment and still be a pleasant person). I am open to private or albergue but would like to try an albergue at least once. I have purchased the lightest weight gear I can afford at this time, so new gear isn't an option unless it can be replaced for $20 or less.
(All clothing choices are in the backpack weight, so a small bit will come off but not enough to move the needle.)
Row 1: Osprey Kyte 36 pack (3#), poles (Walmart), quilt (16oz), memory foam pillow (9oz)- note- I tried the inflatables first and they sucked
Row 3: rain jacket (10oz), sun hat, 2 collapsible water bottles (4 oz total), daypack (4 oz), 3 nylon shirts- 2 short, 1 long sleeve
Row 4: nylon hiking pants, 2 nylon shorts, 2 pairs undies, 1 bra, 3 pairs socks and 1 liner, teva sandals
Row 5: travel toothbrush and mini toothpaste (airline amenity kit, super light), travel shampoo and conditioner (doubles as soap and laundry), sewing kit mimicking a first aid kit (don't have yet), power bank mimicking my phone (had to take the picture), phone cord, USB plug mimicking the travel adapter (haven't bought yet), mini flashlight, car sham mimicking a towel (haven't bought yet), foot goo, KT tape, conditioner mimicking sunscreen (haven't bought yet), tissues/TP, chapstick
Row 6: lacrosse ball, comb and hairbands, deodorant (will get a smaller one), eye mask and ear plugs, base layers (only warm thing I packed), fleece buff, nylon gloves, plastic fork, nylon dress for night
Thanks for the help!
That looks pretty good. I would be inclined to take more water at that time of year. I don't know the routes and availablity of water but wherever you are in Spain end of May-June is warm.

More: Not sure if you're thinking about rain pants - if you want them, consider sewing up a pair of leg sleeves (chaps) of light weight silicone impregnated nylon. Size them to your inseam on the inside and your hip on the outside, with ties to your belt or belt loops. They should be loose enough to fit over your shoes. Mine are 2.4oz, add warmth and wind protection, and can be an extra layer when sleeping.

I prefer dedicated flashlights lights over phones - a pinch light that won't blast other's eyes indoors might be all one needs and I once hiked half the night with one. If you might be hiking at night, a single AAA cell flashlight that throws a beam (1oz with battery) will do the job.
Ola,
My wife and I completed the Costal Camino de Portuguese last summer where I paid a company to transport a carry-on size luggage with our extra stuff to each of the 13 stages at the cost of about 120 euros. Which was money well spent in not having to carry a lot of weight on what is already a challenging endeavor. A problem I‘ve observed on the Camino is people struggling with huge backpacks that are most difficult to manage. I contacted the company we used on our last Camino to transport our luggage to each of the 6 stages of our upcoming camino and they quoted a price of 35 euros per stage, which is pricey per stage especially for a weeks long camino. I’m still in the process of finding a company to transport our luggage and hopefully I’ll meet with success.
Bom Camino,

Gerardum (Given Latin name on my Compostela)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bookgirl305 (Miami)?
We did Camino at the end of August-October, nice weather, some cold weather in the mornings, and a few days of rain. we had the same Osprey bag, the only difference is that we realized toiletries are easily found throughout Spain so don’t bring a lot, and pharmacies are like going to the doctors, they give you what ever you need. Pillows are provided at all stays, all you need is your own pillow case! We did have a headlamp which was fantastic, cause there was a few days we left really early or arrived late and frees your hands if you used a flashlight or phone. One thing I did bring was Ktape, I have really bad knees and it help me. We also had a lightweight rope for laundry and we used it a lot in hotels or pensiones in our room after washing duties. Clothes usually dried overnight and if they didn’t, like socks we hung on the outside of the backpack! Tevas for us was salvation! There’s a time in Camino where the feet need a break from the boots. I used my Tevas for an entire 15 mile section of the meseta. Gave my feet a break, so bring a pair of sturdy sandals. We only brought 3 pairs of socks, 3 underwear and 2 bras. Our hiking pants were treated with waterproofing, so we only had a rain jacket, one Columbia 50SPF long sleeve and 2 synthetic dry t-shirts, we also brought a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket that stores in its own pocket, and we needed it leaving Saria temperatures dropped to high 40° F and that for us is cold coming out of Florida. Large brim hiking hat and collapsible walking sticks which we were able to put inside the backpack for the trip to and from Spain. (Checked in) we purchased a string lightweight pack in Spain for like $4, and used it a few times when we sent our bags ahead vía currier (5€ back in 2014) don’t know know, but this gave us a break on days where the climbing was steep or treacherous. Something I learned from my Camino, I took a lot of stuff and clothes I didn’t need, and by the time we reached Pamplona I mailed it all back to the States. I hope this helps!! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my last camino I needed to get everything in to a 5-6 litre capacity running hydration pack so I could comforably run/walk Pamplona to Sahagun (June time). To achieve that I carried just one change of super light shorts/shirt/undies, no fleece, but did have a wind breaker/rain jacket. Silk liner only, running cap, 3 pairs socks altogether. Shemagh scarf/towel. Running shoes only. Travel sized toiletries. Did not even bother to weigh everything but it must have been a lot less than 5kg with 1.5 litres of water in the bladder, since it didn't cause any issues to run with etc. So when you DO need to get the weight right dow it is possible in the warmer months.

When there's no need to squeeze everything into a 5-6L pack then a light 33l has bags of room and a 5-6 kg pack is possible even with a light fleece and summer super light sleeping bag + hiking towel.

On my various caminos I've gone from quite light at about 7 kg with luxuries to these days usually aroung 5kg with zero luxuries without water (based on an Osprey Talon 33 pack).

One set of clothes on, carry the other, sleep in your fresh clothes, light fleece and super light sleeping bag and hiking towel (in shoulder season), no fleece and silk liner only with a shemagh as a towel in the warmer months.

Don't take any "Just in case" items. If you find you really do need an item then buy it when there, it's a walk across a Spain and not Patagonia. :)

i just don't like the attitude of throwing something away just for the sake of a lighter backpack and purchase a replacement after the trip....this "consumer society" is damaging enough for our environment.
you can suggest to give this pillow someone who needs it! In Santiago for example are living enough people on the street who would appreciate this gift!
While your point is well taken, your tone is a bit harsh. Toss it can be a figure of speech, same as unload, jettison, etc., and not necessarily mean throw it in the gutter or garbage can. Perhaps ask for clarification first. Lambasting people generally has the opposite required effect.

With respect to the pillow I completely understand what you meant, describing the thought of others having slept on it. I'm a pretty easy going person. I can go with the flow but the thought of putting my head on a strange pillow will make me itchy all over and I won't be able to lay still (the mattress strangely doesn't bother me, but the blanket would be right up there with the pillow). So I plan to take one of those bed bug prevention pillow cases and my own pillow case from home. I figure the extra few ounces will be balanced out by a good night's sleep.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
lacrosse ball???
You must live in the DC - NY corridor!
Are you gonna find other Americans to have a game on the Camino?? haha
I think the lacrosse ball is for fixing trigger points that cause referred pain. I use a tennis ball.

While your point is well taken, your tone is a bit harsh. Toss it can be a figure of speech, same as unload, jettison, etc., and not necessarily mean throw it in the gutter or garbage can. Perhaps ask for clarification first. Lambasting people generally has the opposite required effect.
Please keep in mind that many posters here do not speak English as a first language, and they do admirably well with it. The nuances of tone in a second language are an advanced skill, and very difficult to master, as are informal and idiomatic expressions such as “toss it.” Often people can sound more harsh and direct in a second language than they intend. I know that I often blurt something out in Spainish that is much more direct than I would ever say it in English.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most of what you are taking looks right. Here are a few suggestions. I find that one water bottle is enough in the spring. There are cafes and stores along the way where you can refill your bottle. Each one quart bottle of water weighs 4 lb. Every albergue provides pillows, you don't need to bring one. If it is just for the plane ride, then toss it when you arrive and buy a new one fro the return trip. Unless you are planning to have your backpack transported each day you don't need a day pack. Assuming your I-Phone has a light, you don't need to bring a flashlight. There are pharmacies in every town so you don't need a first aid kit, a couple of band aides or gauze pads and tape will do. Buy more as needed. A three lb backpack is too heavy, perhaps you could borrow or buy a used ultra-light pack, a 30 to 35 liter pack would do and it would save 1 to 1.5 lb. Leave the night dress at home, sleep in one set of the shorts and shirts you are bringing.
Have a good camino, Joe
The rain jacket could do double-duty in being a layer that I seem to need for the first 30-60 minutes each early morning

same for you! clarify first, before you assume i would lambasting someone! Toss in this case means what, when someone suggests to buy a new one? reuse obviously not? or? The last I want is to be harsh or to insult someone! Just to make this clear for you.
btw you can ask me in a private conversation about it and tell me that. I am open and well self reflective.
please read Esperanzas message. I think she got it :)
Thanks Esperanza!

Is that blue container deodorant?
We all stink on the Camino! Consider a very small container of liquid deodorant. The wax stuff may melt in your bag

same for you! clarify first, before you assume i would lambasting someone! Toss in this case means what, when someone suggests to buy a new one? reuse obviously not? or? The last I want is to be harsh or to insult someone! Just to make this clear for you.
btw you can ask me in a private conversation about it and tell me that. I am open and well self reflective.
please read Esperanzas message. I think she got it :)
Thanks Esperanza!
No need to continue, we've both expressed ourselves.

I’ve found taking a European pillow slip helped if you don’t want to sleep on their pillows and fill up with clothes that way and pack back into pack like that. Wore clothes to bed for next day walk. Saves time in the morning and disturbing people when getting up early. A sarong was great. After shower sitting outside or walking around. We walked April May and found there was some warm days. Also it was great to wrap around the bunk at night when you’re wanting to go to sleep and the lights still on. Wear earplugs also. Although not sound proof muffles the snorers 😆 A must is a universal plug. We found a lot of places didn’t have one if you wanted to wash clothes. Also if you have a night in a hotel and there’s a bath we found they didn’t have plugs! A light weight clothes line and pegs. Not enough pegs in the albergue. I wrapped the line around my bunk and hung my clothes on that. Head lamp for early morning starts when it’s dark and yes a cake of plain soap as universal washing e.g hair, body, clothes

I plan to take one of those bed bug prevention pillow cases
there really is not such thing
There are pillow cases that might protect the pillow they encase (keep the bugs out of the pillow), but they won't prevent the bed bugs from biting you on top of the pillow! 😂

In fact, most of the pillows in albergues already have impermeable covers on them, so you only need something (e.g. a regular pillow case) to provide the comfort and general cleanliness that you want.

Last edited:
There are pillow cases that might protect the pillow they encase (keep the bugs out of the pillow), but they won't prevent the bed bugs from biting you on top of the pillow! 😂

In fact, most of the pillows in albergues already have impermeable covers on them, so you only need something (e.g. a regular pillow case) to provide the comfort and general cleanliness that you want.
Of course, you are correct, but I think that the idea expressed was that the pillow case would keep bed bugs from biting you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I plan to take one of those bed bug prevention pillow cases
I suggest you - and everybody! - instead pack a small, but strong light of some form, or find out how to use the torch function on their mobile. Then use it to check the mattress - underneath, corners, creases, bed frame and surrounding wall - for signs of bugs! You might not be able to see the little critters themselves during the day, but they leave small tell-tale black droppings. Google will have photos.
And if anyone reading were planning to take anti-bed bug oils or sprays: Please don't spray your mattress and pillow every day with smelly, toxic stuff that builds up! Tomorrow that bunk is someone else's and they might not enjoy the lavender smell or be sensitive to chemicals. If you check your bed and you find signs of bugs, alert the hospitalero/a so they can call in the pest control people, and find somewhere else to stay. Some people avoid the blue rubber covered mattresses; I love them because they are so much easier to clean and check and there is virtually nowhere for the bugs to hide.
(Sorry about bold shouting; forum veterans know this is my bugbear)
Buen bug free camino!

*lightly edited

Last edited:
These are the things I would jettison: pillow, collapsible water bottles (they suck. I would prefer just reusing a single use one or what I use are nalgene.), the daypack (unless sending backpack ahead), 1 pair of nylon shorts (no need for 2), tevas (Too heavy. Replace with flip flops that weigh nothing to wear in showers and around the albergue. Not sure why you bringing them, but on a six day Camino, I don’t think you need a back up pair of hiking shoes.), and the night gown.

Not sure what you mean by base layers. Usually that means long underwear. If you’re bringing that, then you can sleep in them if you’re resistant to sleeping in your hiking clothes, which is what I do. I shower in the afternoon, change into fresh clothes, wear them until the next day’s shower. I take the pants off at night, and I don’t wash them every day, just top, bra, undies. Also, if you’re bringing a long underwear top, maybe don’t need a long sleeve T-shirt.

Things I would add: a second bra because they get sweaty and I wash mine everyday. A fleece jacket or down or puffy vest or something to layer under your rain/wind jacket. That is a really important item/combo to have along. It can be chilly in late May/June, especially in the morning and evening. I know when I walked at that time, there were definitely mornings when I wore a long sleeve turtleneck base layer, a fleece and a gortex jacket, a headband-type hat, and gloves. And it wasn’t even raining. Most evenings I wore the fleece to dinner or while hanging out around the albergue. You definitely need a warmth layer.

Otherwise, it looks good.
Definitely two bras. I would add a very light fleece.

I suggest you - and everybody! - instead pack a small, but strong light of some form, or find out how to use the torch function on their mobile. Then use it to check the mattress - underneath, corners, creases, bed frame and surrounding wall - for signs of bugs! You might not be able to see the little critters themselves during the day, but they leave small tell-tale black droppings. Google will have photos.
And don't spray your mattress and pillow every day with smelly, toxic stuff that builds up! Tomorrow that bunk is someone else's and we don't want your chemicals, thank you. If you check your bed and you find signs of bugs, alert the hospitalero/a so they can call in the pest control people, and find somewhere else to stay. Some people avoid the blue rubber covered mattresses; I love them because they are so much easier to clean and check and there is virtually nowhere for the bugs to hide.
(Sorry about bold shouting; forum veterans know this is my bugbear)
Buen bug free camino!
Thank you for sharing this important information, however I didn't say anything about spraying chemicals on anything. I'm sure your argument will be about my using the pillowcase. Prior to retirement I owned a tourist resort and I can tell you that most places (not mine) do not properly clean their pillows. It's not a topic I wanted to get into here, but simply was understanding the OP's concerns and offering her a solution.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I guess I was not very articulate in my post. I wasn't commenting on bed bugs and never meant to start up the topic. The OP was concerned about dirty pillows (to put it bluntly). I, too, have a small phobia for unclean pillows and I find those Walmart bed bug pillow cases under my own familiar pillowcase calms my mind when I travel. It's the thought of dirty pillows and being unclean that give me the creepy crawlies.

So it looks like I was not very articulate in my post above so I will clarify. Prior to retirement, I owned a cottage resort for many years and I can tell you that many tourist establishments do not properly clean their pillows (not mine). This is not meant as an attack on anyone or any place. Just an explanation on where my small sensitivity came from. I wasn't commenting on bed bugs and never meant to start up that topic. The OP was concerned about dirty pillows (to put it bluntly). I, too, have a small phobia for unclean pillows and I find those Walmart bed bug pillow cases under my own familiar pillowcase calms my mind when I travel. It's the thought of dirty pillows and being unclean that give me the creepy crawlies. I hope this clarifies my comment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess I was not very articulate in my post. I wasn't commenting on bed bugs and never meant to start up the topic. The OP was concerned about dirty pillows (to put it bluntly). I, too, have a small phobia for unclean pillows and I find those Walmart bed bug pillow cases under my own familiar pillowcase calms my mind when I travel. It's the thought of dirty pillows and being unclean that give me the creepy crawlies.
You will be happy to know that many Albergue pillows are encased in a vinyl type cover that can be wiped down. I bring a very light silk pillow case to cover my pillow.

I didn't say anything about spraying chemicals on anything. I'm sure your argument will be about my using the pillowcase. Prior to retirement I owned a tourist resort and I can tell you that most places (not mine) do not properly clean their pillows.
Hi, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you would and have edited the post to reflect that. Like I say this is a bug bear of mine and I just thought I'd get in and cover the basics while I was at it. I know a lot of people are tempted to buy products that promise to keep the bugs away, including sprays, or bring things like extra sheets and pillow cases so they know they are clean. Understandable, but when it comes to bug proofing, most of the products are a waste of money and extra weight. Taking your own pillow case is a personal decision, but bear in mind that most Spanish pillows are narrower and longer than most of us use at home, so if you take one, make sure it will fit.

Last edited:
Hi this is a really helpful thread!
Book girl I wish you a buen Camino!
I have done several long distance trips. I always over pack, and it's always clothes that I overpack. I am getting better.

One thought I didn't notice suggested yet - if you are comfy to do so, ditch your bra in favour of a bikini in case you find somewhere to swim / paddle
I am on the scarf = towel, blanket, etc. I don't carry a towel. I am used to using my clothes in a cloth bag as a pillow when i camp I do this in some albergues. I have done my laundry wrapped in a blanket before now :)
I would keep the eye mask - some pilgrims are SOOOOO annoying with torches / phones at night! It's hard to sleep when the room is lit up like a disco . And take ear plugs!!

I would start with a few first aid items - really minimal- and replenish if you need them. Yes there are pharmacies but that's no use when you get a blister half way up a mountain. You don't need 2 boxes of plasters but like 5? Is a great start. Ditto like 1 strip of paracetamol. I only take what I know I will very likely use tho. I think as well my half tube of bonjella is a) lighter and b) cheaper than replacing it and I try not to be wasteful

I have given away plasters, painkillers and lent a tubigrip previously. This thread has made me think - Yes the camino provides - but if you go ultra ultra light it might be the case that the pilgrims who do carry what they need are providing it for you and i think there is a balance to be had.

Leave space in your pack for lunch and snacks as well as water.

Oh and ditch any first aid kit type bag as it weighs a lot - just take out a few contents eg a few plasters / antihistamine/ etc - reuse your airport plastics ziplock bag, it weighs nothing

Buen Camino. I have 45 days til I start mine. Soooooooo excited

UPDATE with adjusted items and weight.
Y'all are collectively so smart. I am going to trust you, with one variation.
(Updated packing list picture below)

got rid of: the daypack, the pillow, the water bottles, the rain jacket, 1 shorts, 1 short sleeve shirt, the flashlight, the first aid kit, the lacrosse ball, the top base layer, the fleece buff, and the plastic to-go silverware.

did not include in the revised weight: trekking poles, shorts, short sleeve shirt, one set undies, one bra, one socks (shoes were never included) that I'll be wearing. And, I picked the lightest weight set to "wear" leaving the heaviest in the weight.

New list:
pack
glasses, contacts, hearing aid charger, prescription meds
quilt, hat, fleece (traded from the rain jacket), long sleeve light shirt
hiking pants, 2 undies, 1 bra, sandals, 2 socks, 1 liner
toothbrush and toothpaste, nail clippers, shampoo and conditioner, couple of band aids, phone cord, phone, towel, adapter, foot goo, travel TP, travel sunscreen, chapstick
pillowcase, eye mask, ear plugs, base layer bottoms, merino wool top (traded the base layer top), KT tape, deodorant, comb with hairbands
not included- bottom sheet that's not heavy
Starting weight before edit: 17.2 pounds/7.8 kg
Total weight in the Osprey: 11.6 pounds/5.3kg
Total weight in the "almost an Osprey" from Amazon: 10.1 pounds/4.6kg (see $31 pack thread)

My luggage hand scale is a bit wonky by about 1/2 pound. For what we're doing here, that's fine.
The variation I came to is this: I have a 3 hour layover in Madrid between arriving and heading to Pamplona. I'm going to book a return hotel at the airport and drop off a small bag there for a week with a change of clothes, etc. for when I get done.
Thanks for all the help!

backpackcontents rd2.jpg

That looks pretty good. I would be inclined to take more water at that time of year. I don't know the routes and availablity of water but wherever you are in Spain end of May-June is wa
Add up to 2 liters of water which is approximately 4 pounds, or one liter at 2 pounds.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can pick up the items I suggested from 'off brand' or much cheaper options for only slightly more weight.

Leaving things out is free remember (heck, you save money if you havent bought them already!).

You want 1 set of clothes (worn) and then pack: 1 x shirt, 1 x shorts, light fleece/ poly leggings, a light fleece hoodie or puffer jacket, and a rain jacket, plus 1 x socks, 1 x underwear and 1 x bra in your backpack.

Add a handful of basic toiletries, a sleeping bag liner, and a large cotton scarf/sarong (that can double as a blanket, towel, scarf, pillow etc)plus your phone charger and you'll be set.

You'll be fine. If you're seriously concerned, simply use your clean shirt (or your scarf) as a pillow case, slipping the pillow inside.
I like your packing list, a lot. But…budget. Could you suggest a 30 liter pack about the same weight for under 100. US?

got rid of: the daypack, the pillow, the water bottles, the rain jacket, 1 shorts, 1 short sleeve shirt, the flashlight, the first aid kit, the lacrosse ball, the top base layer, the fleece buff, and the plastic to-go silverware.

did not include in the revised weight: trekking poles, shorts, short sleeve shirt, one set undies, one bra, one socks (shoes were never included) that I'll be wearing. And, I picked the lightest weight set to "wear" leaving the heaviest in the weight.

New list:
pack
toothbrush and toothpaste, nail clippers, shampoo and conditioner, couple of band aids, phone cord, phone, towel, adapter, foot goo, travel TP, travel sunscreen, chapstick
pillowcase, eye mask, ear plugs, base layer bottoms, merino wool top (traded the base layer top), KT tape, deodorant, comb with hairbands
Total weight in the "almost an Osprey" from Amazon: 10.1 pounds/4.6kg (see $31 pack thread)

My luggage hand scale is a bit wonky by about 1/2 pound. For what we're doing here, that's fine.
The variation I came to is this: I have a 3 hour layover in Madrid between arriving and heading to Pamplona. I'm going to book a return hotel at the airport and drop off a small bag there for a week with a change of clothes, etc. for when I get done.
Thanks for all the help!

View attachment 119104
You do need sandals ,but can you walk a full day in those? One pack is enough

LOL- only taking one pack! At the time I was doing the pack list, we also were talking about a $31 "almost an osprey" pack I got off of Amazon. The picture shows both the Osprey I am taking and the lesser weight pack which already went back. I almost kept it (and would have shaved nearly 1kg off the weight) but the mesh on the shoulder strap hit funny and was scratchy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LOL- only taking one pack! At the time I was doing the pack list, we also were talking about a $31 "almost an osprey" pack I got off of Amazon. The picture shows both the Osprey I am taking and the lesser weight pack which already went back. I almost kept it (and would have shaved nearly 1kg off the weight) but the mesh on the shoulder strap hit funny and was scratchy.
If you have to carry damp or dirty clothes , lunch and the remains of snacks , plus that magazine; suddenly there is an extra kilo

Lots of advice. This may be a repeat, but I use travel size toiletries. Smaller the better….and, yes, deodorant is appreciated by all. Minimal clothes, washing daily, with layering works well. What I will do coming up is bring one light-weight knee brace, as when I needed one in Spain, the pharmacies had relatively expensive and cheaply made braces, and bring two extra sets of reading glasses. I lost my only pair on a trail before a large town and couldn’t see the information on my phone to get around after coming into the area, even to find a pharmacy. When I was able to buy a pair, they were pricey and broke. I ended up buying three more pairs as every pair I bought broke.
Agree, why wouldnt you use deoderant?

lacrosse ball to massage the tendon on my feet at the end of the day. Golf and tennis balls work well too.
All clothing is in the picture, save shoes and a set of undies. I left all socks, shirts, etc in the picture as I didn't want to cheat the weight at all.
Thanks for the help!
That is a lot of gear. Way too much clothing. For a few days out hiking/backpacking.. ditch all spare clothing... maybe 1 pair socks .. and wash as you go.... rivers.. streams.. public toilet etc ..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is a lot of gear. Way too much clothing. For a few days out hiking/backpacking.. ditch all spare clothing... maybe 1 pair socks .. and wash as you go.... rivers.. streams.. public toilet etc .. Anything Merino wool.... socks, base layer top and bottom, etc.Can be aired out and you can wear for a whole week without getting smelly. You can wear them day and night if need, again taking every opportunity to wash yourself... and also air your gear out.
Or...if you're not sure...go and practice local to where you live before you commit to a big trip out. Trial all your gear, know the weather forecast, know the temperature, get out and practice. That way you will know what works and what doesn't. Don't be afraid of mistakes, learn from them, and have fun.

That is a lot of gear. Way too much clothing. For a few days out hiking/backpacking.. ditch all spare clothing... maybe 1 pair socks .. and wash as you go.... rivers.. streams.. public toilet etc ..
I’d take two bras, so when you are washing you have a spare. They get super sweaty.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

New list:
pack

Thanks for all the help!

View attachment 119104
Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.