• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Empty trail? no pilgrims?

zammy

Started yesterday from Limogne en Quercy, now in Cahors.
Where is everybody?
Gites are empty, trail empty
It's only late August.
Where are those who started in Le Puy 3 weeks ago?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm farther down near SJPP, but I walked alone practically the entire day, and the gîte tonight is empty except me.

Many French pellerins told me they had to head home because of the end of their August holidays. I don't know who will take their place, but I agree it's much quieter

School starts next week, so the parents are at home making preparations, and the grandparents haven't started out yet - you'll see them next week. Plus, it's been darned hot! (August is usually quite light. September, on the other hand, is quite popular!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are past peak pilgrim on that route. Given the date, like almost September 1, most summer vacations are over and done with. Students are preparing to return to class.

The peak summer volume for departing a starting point on a month-long Camino, like: Le Puy, St. Jean Pied de Port, etc. is gone. Except for weekend departures the biggest waves of pilgrims are at least a week or more in front of you. Enjoy the solitude.

This is like turning off a hose faucet, with a stretched out garden hose attached. It takes a few moments for all the water to drain from the entire hose. The Camino works the same way.

Long-walk pilgrims starting at Le Puy or SJPdP in around mid August are about half-way to Santiago by now, more or less. By mid-September, the 2017 "season" will mostly be past. To be sure, there will be more pilgrims coming, but the large surges and waves of pilgrims is over for this year.

This signals the start of the autumn "hip season." Many of us veterans prefer to walk our Caminos either at this time of year, through the end of October, or from the end of April through early June. Most albergues are still open, yet the crowds are gone, There is no bed race, the temperatures are more moderate, and rainfall minimal (relatively - this is largely Galicia).

I hope this helps.

The portion from Le Puy to Conques is the busiest. Many of the French walk in stages making the most of their holidays so many of them had to get back for the beginning of the school year. The seniors will come out in September, though, which is when I'll be walking from Aire sur l'Adour to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Started yesterday from Limogne en Quercy, now in Cahors.
Where is everybody?
Gites are empty, trail empty
It's only late August.
Where are those who started in Le Puy 3 weeks ago?
Hello Zammy, don't panic, people are coming. September is the 2nd busiest month of the year for us, after May.
Schools open on Monday, so by Wednesday or certainly next weekend we will be busy, or you will see more pilgrims around. I spoke to the baggage transport driver today, and they have "very good" bookings through to the 2nd week of October! Don't worry you will have company.
As for long distance walkers, this week we had a lovely English pilgrim who started in Shrewsbury (England) in April this year and two Germans who started in Cologne and Frankfurt.

You are past peak pilgrim on that route. Given the date, like almost September 1, most summer vacations are over and done with. Students are preparing to return to class.

The peak summer volume for departing a starting point on a month-long Camino, like: Le Puy, St. Jean Pied de Port, etc. is gone. Except for weekend departures the biggest waves of pilgrims are at least a week or more in front of you. Enjoy the solitude.

This is like turning off a hose faucet, with a stretched out garden hose attached. It takes a few moments for all the water to drain from the entire hose. The Camino works the same way.

Long-walk pilgrims starting at Le Puy or SJPdP in around mid August are about half-way to Santiago by now, more or less. By mid-September, the 2017 "season" will mostly be past. To be sure, there will be more pilgrims coming, but the large surges and waves of pilgrims is over for this year.

This signals the start of the autumn "hip season." Many of us veterans prefer to walk our Caminos either at this time of year, through the end of October, or from the end of April through early June. Most albergues are still open, yet the crowds are gone, There is no bed race, the temperatures are more moderate, and rainfall minimal (relatively - this is largely Galicia).

I hope this helps.
Yep, I walked LePuy to St. Jean Pied de Port in April and May then the Bayonne to Santiago via Camino Del Norte and Camino Primitivo the following year in April and May. In 95% of the gites and albergues that we stayed at, the occupancy was rarely more than 50%. The only snag occurs during Holy Week where lots of weekend pilgrims who visit friends and family get a Pilgrim Credencial (Pilgrims Passport) and fill the public albergues and gites early in the day. Be prepared to stay at a hotel or outside during Holy week.

I walked Figeac to Cahors in April this year and hardly saw anyone. In Cajarc I saw no pelerins, in Varaire there was just a German couple and me. Met a few on the way in to Cahors - don't forget to stop at the Octroi at the far end of the Pont Louis Philippe for possibly the most welcome drink on the whole Chemin.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I begin our Le Puy Camino at the end of September so it has been great reading all the above comments. I am a little concerned though that if this is not the 'high' season will the gites still be open and if not is there other accommodation available? We don't want to carry a tent.

My husband and I begin our Le Puy Camino at the end of September so it has been great reading all the above comments. I am a little concerned though that if this is not the 'high' season will the gites still be open and if not is there other accommodation available? We don't want to carry a tent.
On the Le Puy route, at least half the lodgings are open from Paschal to Toussaint (Easter to All Saints), according to Miam Miam Dodo. A great many are open longer, even if not all year. There is a school holiday in mid-October, and some will close for that, or afterwards. For these lower-population seasons, even if the place is scheduled to be open, if there are no bookings, then Madame et Monsieur may just decide to take a couple days off to go visit the grandkids. So all this means it's important to call ahead for reservations - maybe two days in advance rather than the usual-in-France one day. Or email.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wished and eveybody showed up.
Trail filled nicely.
Happy trail.

I am just before Montcuq (on holiday not an actual Camino). There is a diversion before Montcuq that brings you south through the woods. While walking there yesterday I encountered 1 single gentleman walking and 4 French people at about 10am.
Then at lunchtime in Lauzerte lots of pairs of walkers were arriving into the main square. So lots of people here now.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back