• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

en france

aellis

Hi guys !

I walked the Camino Frances last year from St Jean to Santiago and this year I'm considering Le Puy to St Jean. One thing which is a worry to me is the cost of hostels/refuges in comparison to the Camino Frances.

- What should I expect to pay for a bed for the night?

- Are there self-catering facilities on this stretch?

- How long did this leg of the journey take you and what distance were you covering per day?

Preferably I'm looking for a few replies to this post from people who have been recently.

Good luck !

Alex

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Aellis,

First of all, this is France and not Spain, but I am sure you know that already.
The way from Le Puy, is strictly speaking not a pilgrim 's way, but it is walked a lot, and increasingly the last few years. The "Chemin du Puy" follows the GR 65, one of the many excellent long distance hiking trails in France, which are indicated by white(above)/red markings .
To answer your questions:
1. The cheapest ,and present every 10 to 15km or so,are the "gites d'etappes", which can range from 7 euro to 15 euro/night. These are all more luxurious (provide sheets etc) than any of the refugio's in Spain. They are usulally small, so booking in advance is essential (certainly in the June to September time frame). You have to do that yourselves, and one idea is to think and book a few days ahead.
There are a few, not many, refuges, which are usually connected to churches. After that you will still have the chambres d'hotes and hotels, which can vary in price considerably (from cheap to outrageous)
2. You can generally walk the same distances as in Spain, possibly a bit less, because the trails can be a bit more challenging.. the markings also are not always clear. The GR 65 is walked a lot less than the Camino, so depending on the time of year you plan, outside the summer,you might meet a lot less people on the trail. Many parts become unpassable from November onwards.
3. Some gites have kitchens, some don't.
This being France, some knowledge of french would be very useful, since along the rural areas around GR 65, english is hardly spoken, and spanish not at all. Shops are generally open until 1.00pm and then again after 4.30pm. Meal times are quite different from Spain, lunch from 12.00 to 2.00pm and dinner will start after 7.00 or 8.00pm. But you probably know all this.
The whole route is described with little excellent maps and desctriptions, including adress and phone numbers of the gites in three topo guides, which are in french, but are so clear that most people will be able to understand them.: " Sentier vers Saint Jacques de Compostelle, ref. 651, du Puy a Figeac; ref.652, de Figeac a Moissac; ref. 653, de Moissac a Roncevaux " from the Federation Francaise de la Randonnee Pedestre",
http://www.ffrp.asso.fr
These thin excellent guides/maps beat everything I have seen elsewhere. The French certainly can make maps better than anyone else,

Hope this lengthy reply helps,

Kees

kees said:
Aellis,

First of all, this is France and not Spain, but I am sure you know that already.
The way from Le Puy, is strictly speaking not a pilgrim 's way

Strictly speaking, any road/path/way is a pilgrim's way ... provided you're taking it to go on pilgrimage :roll: ;) The pilgrim's way starts and ends at your own front door / at your parish altar, the way itself is mostly a means to an end... but it's an important means, not a trivial one. :)

Aellis, I hope you enjoy the journey, but there may be something missing at the end, unless you take care to center it in spiritual matters, not just the walking in and of itself. Whatever else, kees is right about one thing -- it's NOT the Camino if you're not going to Santiago ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back