A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

En route

JohnLloyd

Camino(s) past & future
It’s my last full day in the UK, before I fly to Biarritz tomorrow afternoon.

I’m strangely calm. Almost zen-like.

I think I’m as ready as I can be.

But I’m open to one last piece of advice.

Napoleon or Valcarlos?

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Burgos, Camino Frances (2012 - 2018)
Definitely the Napoleon, if the weather is ok (although I have crossed it in low cloud and driving rain!)

The forecast for Wednesday 22nd, when I assume you'll be setting off, is clear skies, no rain or cloud, max temperature 30 - take plenty of water and wear a hat!

Buen Camino.

D

Deleted member 12253

Napoleon or Valcarlos?

Napoleon every day only trekked Nopoleon 10 times and valcarlos once because of bad weather buen camino

JohnLloyd

Camino(s) past & future
Definitely the Napoleon, if the weather is ok (although I have crossed it in low cloud and driving rain!)

The forecast for Wednesday 22nd, when I assume you'll be setting off, is clear skies, no rain or cloud, max temperature 30 - take plenty of water and wear a hat!

Buen Camino.
I’m staying in SJPP on the 22nd and I’ll get going on the 23rd.

I have a hat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis SJdPP to Astorga (Apr 2018)
Astorga to Santiago (Sept 2018);Camino Ingles (2018)
I went Varcarlos in April as a solo female simply because the pilgrims office strongly suggested it. Wrong. Go Napolean unless you want lots of up-downs and some very narrow dangerous trail paths that have eroded away. With that said, I did enjoy the walk as it's very beautiful, but just wasn't prepared mentally for the challenge that it presented. Just a thought.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Buen Camino! Day after tomorrow, wake up and look around, 40-50 people headed up Napoleon? Maybe not. The way is steep, the scenery can be magnificent, the accomplishment is heartening for you - a proud moment for you yourself - in company with several other pilgrims to share your feelings is fantastic - crowds do not enhance the experience. Waking up in Roncevalles and you hurt all over, stiff here ache there, ignore the guidebooks, listen to your body and consider a shorter day.

NomadBoomer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (September 2017), Vdlp (April 2018)

Napoleon or Valcarlos?
I fly into Biarritz tomorrow also, but I will start walking straight away, as I am stopping at Orisson tomorrow night. I am as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve.

The Napoleon route is lovely and looks like good weather for the view. Certainly worth considering the alternative if you want to have an easier start and break the stage to Roncesvalles into two days. Maybe see you along the way.

Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Francés five times, Madrid two days, Ingles once.
I've done both (as many on this forum have!) and they are quite different. The views on the Napoleon are stunning; the views on Valcarlos, not quite, but it's very nice in other ways! TAKE WATER on both!!! I'm sure you'll do it again ;) so maybe do BOTH! A lot of people on the Nap, not so many on the Val. !BUEN CAMINO!

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)

Napoleon or Valcarlos?
As the others have said, Napoleon. However, it is steep (particularly going up to Orisson), so stop there if you feel tired. Otherwise, you can make it to Roncevalles, walking at a slower pace even.
Buen Camino!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 191 24.3%