• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

End of February 2016

MichaelNW

Thought I would be walking in September, but life changed my plans. I have a flight booked for the end of February 2016. I haven't booked my return. It will be my first Camino. I will be walking solo. I have not decided definitively which Camino yet, but since VdlP is in the running, I have a few questions for the veterans.

(1) Realistically, at that time of the year, how long would the journey take at a reasonable pace. I will be 65, but plan to be trained-up before I go. Will be walking daily with increasing distances between now and then.

(2) What will the weather be like along the route? I plan to take layers consisting of (on top) technical tee (not cotton), long-sleeve travel shirt (not cotton), light down sweater and breathable rain jacket and (on bottom) light base, travel pants and rain pants. Also wearing a wool fedora (I am lacking in natural cover). Wearing liners and medium weight smartwool socks with hiking boots. Is that sufficient for conditions?

(3) I will be in transit on Easter (March 27th). I will be about 30 days into my walk. Where would be a good place to stop for Easter? When do festivities start? How far in front of Easter will I have any issues with closed businesses (if any)?

(4) I want to spend 2-3 days in Sevilla to recover and sight-see. Where would you recommend staying and eating? What is not to be missed in Sevilla?

My other alternative is the Camino de Madrid finishing on VdlP or CF. I welcome any input, ideas, opinions and information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi MichaelNW - I would also be interested in seeing the answers to your questions. I wonder if they might get a response if you put VDLP in the thread title, something like: Questions about walking the VDLP in February and/or VDLP or Camino de Madrid in February 2016? I am also wondering about walking that time of year and what it might be like. Cheers, Mary Louise

Hi Michael,
I have completed 2 VdlPs and lived in Sevilla for a few years so I hope I can offer you a little assistance,,,

How long?? It’s a piece of string question. The best way is to work out what your comfort level is and divide 1000 by that. E.g 25 km per day on average (1000/25 = 40). Add extra days in some of the lovely towns/cities along the way such as Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense . I think around 36-44 days is a good average. The distances on the VdlP now are totally manageable. When I did my first one in 2008 it was necessary to walk 40km a couple of times but now the most you’ll need to walk in one day is around 30km. Most days are in the 20’s.

End of Feb in Andalusia may be wet or you may be lucky! As you are travelling the length of Spain, you will encounter different weather zones as you travel further north. At that time of year you’ll hit the end of winter and early spring as you travel further North. It will be a lovely time to walk if you don’t mind some wet days. I’m not sure how many albergues will be open but if you download the Jirit list on this site you can easily call ahead (see Camino Resources tab at the top of the page, go to Via de la Plata and find 'Via de la Plata 2014 Accommodation & Walking Schedule'). If albergues are closed, every reasonable sized village will have somewhere to stay if there is a bar or two. Just ask about a room (tiene habitaciones?). Many bars have rooms to rent but don’t advertise. Otherwise they’ll know the locals who do have rooms to rent. Keep clothing simple but be careful to have enough warm layers and a backup plan if everything is wet. It’s difficult to dry shoes once they’re wet – something to think about. I’m a ‘single wool sock’ fan and always take high quality merino (if it’s cheap, it’s most likely not merino).

Easter is a wonderful time of year in Spain and each ‘autonomous community’ will have their own version of the Easter parades. (of course, I’m biased and love the celebrations throughout Andalusia!) Easter runs for 8 days in Spain. In 2016 it is 20th-27th March. The eve of 24th is a great day to be in a large town. Salamanca and Zamora would definitely be places to be during this time. Stay 2-3 days if you can.

As I lived in Sevilla, I would definitely say to stay in the Casco Antiguo (old town) near Plaza Salvador or the Cathedral. It’s awesome to start your camino in front of the statue of St James at the cathedral. There are some great ‘AirBnb' places in central Sevilla if you are registered. It you’re there for a few days, you could also look for an apartment - many easy to find online. Some Pilgrims stay over the river in a suburb (barrio) called Triana but you don’t get the fun of being in central Sevilla and you don’t start your camino from the Cathedral. Something to think about if you’re spending some fun days in Sevilla first.

I hope that gets you started, Cheers, Grace

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Awesome info, thanks for posting !
Myself, I'm looking at starting early April 2016, starting in Seville; hoping the weather will be semi-condusive and not too busy yet . . . Looking forward to getting back on the trails after finishing the Northern and Primitivo routes last year !

Buen Camino to all !

Hi Michael,
I have completed 2 VdlPs and lived in Sevilla for a few years so I hope I can offer you a little assistance,,,

How long?? It’s a piece of string question. The best way is to work out what your comfort level is and divide 1000 by that. E.g 25 km per day on average (1000/25 = 40). Add extra days in some of the lovely towns/cities along the way such as Merida, Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense . I think around 36-44 days is a good average. The distances on the VdlP now are totally manageable. When I did my first one in 2008 it was necessary to walk 40km a couple of times but now the most you’ll need to walk in one day is around 30km. Most days are in the 20’s.

End of Feb in Andalusia may be wet or you may be lucky! As you are travelling the length of Spain, you will encounter different weather zones as you travel further north. At that time of year you’ll hit the end of winter and early spring as you travel further North. It will be a lovely time to walk if you don’t mind some wet days. I’m not sure how many albergues will be open but if you download the Jirit list on this site you can easily call ahead (see Camino Resources tab at the top of the page, go to Via de la Plata and find 'Via de la Plata 2014 Accommodation & Walking Schedule'). If albergues are closed, every reasonable sized village will have somewhere to stay if there is a bar or two. Just ask about a room (tiene habitaciones?). Many bars have rooms to rent but don’t advertise. Otherwise they’ll know the locals who do have rooms to rent. Keep clothing simple but be careful to have enough warm layers and a backup plan if everything is wet. It’s difficult to dry shoes once they’re wet – something to think about. I’m a ‘single wool sock’ fan and always take high quality merino (if it’s cheap, it’s most likely not merino).

Easter is a wonderful time of year in Spain and each ‘autonomous community’ will have their own version of the Easter parades. (of course, I’m biased and love the celebrations throughout Andalusia!) Easter runs for 8 days in Spain. In 2016 it is 20th-27th March. The eve of 24th is a great day to be in a large town. Salamanca and Zamora would definitely be places to be during this time. Stay 2-3 days if you can.

As I lived in Sevilla, I would definitely say to stay in the Casco Antiguo (old town) near Plaza Salvador or the Cathedral. It’s awesome to start your camino in front of the statue of St James at the cathedral. There are some great ‘AirBnb' places in central Sevilla if you are registered. It you’re there for a few days, you could also look for an apartment - many easy to find online. Some Pilgrims stay over the river in a suburb (barrio) called Triana but you don’t get the fun of being in central Sevilla and you don’t start your camino from the Cathedral. Something to think about if you’re spending some fun days in Sevilla first.

I hope that gets you started, Cheers, Grace

I'm hoping to start from Seville on 12th March 2016, I'm a bit apprehensive about the solitude of it. But I can't wait to get started.

Awesome info, thanks for posting !
Myself, I'm looking at starting early April 2016, starting in Seville; hoping the weather will be semi-condusive and not too busy yet . . . Looking forward to getting back on the trails after finishing the Northern and Primitivo routes last year !

Buen Camino to all !
Hi CanPete - thinking of starting that time too, or perhaps easter. perhaps run into you on the route

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm hoping to start from Seville on 12th March 2016, I'm a bit apprehensive about the solitude of it. But I can't wait to get started.
You'll grow to like the solitude: some of my best days were walking buy myself all day . . .
Buen Camino !

Hi CanPete - thinking of starting that time too, or perhaps easter. perhaps run into you on the route
Always look forwards to meeting new people !
Buen Camino !

You'll grow to like the solitude: some of my best days were walking buy myself all day . . .
Buen Camino !
'By' myself that is . . .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

As I lived in Sevilla,

I hope that gets you started, Cheers, Grace[/QUOTE]

Hi Grace

not sure how that last post slipped out early!
Hi Grace - thought I'd ask you about easter in Seville, since you have such great tips. I am starting out around easter. would you recommend staying in seville until after easter sunday (i.e. leaving monday)? i was thinking of experiencing the early semana santa, then starting walking friday or saturday after the long thursday night.
thanks for your thoughts Jen

Hi Jen,
I am a ‘fan’ of Semana Santa so of course I’ll preface by saying I’m biased! The pasos (parades) cause all sorts of congestion in the centre so be warned that walking around is very slow and you need a good map. It is a great time to enjoy wonderful tapas and the spirit of Sevilla.
There are something like 60-70 parades throughout the week and they mainly start after noon but if would want to stay for Madrugada (Thursday) you’ll need Friday to recover/sleep as you stay up all night and end with early morning hot chocolate/churros - very traditional and fun to hang with the locals.
The procession of the confradia Macarena is the most colourful and popular (although Triana confradia would say otherwise!). You will see the Nazarenos (carrying either enormous candles or crosses), an army of ‘roman centurians’. You may encounter a traditional gypsy chant (saeta) at points along the route as locals serenade the virgen from their balconies and you will definitely see locals throwing rose petals over the virgen. It’s a wonderful sight.
Another favourite Confradia of mine is ‘Silencio’ It is just that - the Nazarenos (pilgrims) walk in silence and many in bare feet or hand made sandals. It is incredibly moving.
It’s a great idea to invest a little time before you leave and read up on the parades and the pasos (floats, same name) so you have a better understanding of what is happening. If you speak a little Spansih you’ll have fun chatting to the locals about the intricacies of each carved image of the Virgen and Jesus.
My favourite processions are: La Borriquita (salida - when they leave the Church), El Museo (nice and small), EL Baratill0, Las Siete Palabras (my local confradia), Los Negritos, Pasion (Must see the image of Jesus - masterpiece), El Silencio, Gran Poder (entrada - when it returns to the church), La Mararena, Los Gitanos (gypsies).
You must get a little booklet with the routes and times when you arrive in Sevilla. Ask at the info office. The newspapers have them as a liftout also.
Hope this has helped a little. Have you booked somewhere to stay? AirBnB is good in Seville. Stay in the old town (central).
PM me if you have anything specific you need to know. I’m heading off to Portugal on Friday so will be out of action for a few days then on my camino!
Have a Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back