• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

End of March getting to SJPP

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Since the bus isn’t going to be running till April, Is it better to try to get from Pamplona to Bayonne in order to get to SJPP? Or take the bus I *think is still running to Roncesvalles and then contact Express Bourricot to try to get a ride from Roncesvalles to SJPP?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since the bus isn’t going to be running till April, Is it better to try to get from Pamplona to Bayonne in order to get to SJPP? Or take the bus I *think is still running to Roncesvalles and then contact Express Bourricot to try to get a ride from Roncesvalles to SJPP?
As mentioned in another thread, Express Bouricott is not allowed to pick up in Spain.

Caroline at Express Bourricot is not allowed to pick up in Spain. I went with her in 2011 and she had just been fined by a Spanish court.

I had no idea. Thank you. I must have missed that other conversation. Are there any taxis that can cross over? Because if there’s no way then I’m definitely going to have to find a way to get to Bayonne.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had no idea. Thank you. I must have missed that other conversation. Are there any taxis that can cross over? Because if there’s no way then I’m definitely going to have to find a way to get to Bayonne.
Yes, taxis can cross over, but I don't believe that Spanish taxis can pick up in France, and vice versa.
Have you looked at taking a taxi from Pamplona?

Take a look at Rome2Rio, there are 2 Alsa buses every day and Rome2Rio lists rideshare as an option. There is no rule that says you have to start in SJPdP and the potential for bad weather that time could really play havoc with your plans.

Take a look at Rome2Rio, there are 2 Alsa buses every day and Rome2Rio lists rideshare as an option. There is no rule that says you have to start in SJPdP and the potential for bad weather that time could really play havoc with your plans.

The bus they mention for Pamplona to SJPP...once you put in dates in March there aren't any available. Same with Bayonne. The rideshare is BlaBlaCar, which is locals who will give you a lift, not a taxi. My friend who lives in Valencia mentioned that option to me. I have considered it but I wanted to exhaust public transportation options first, just because of being female and a solo traveler. If anyone has had positive experiences with BlaBla, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I could start in Roncesvalles. I've just always really wanted to start in SJPP. If I have to, I'll do that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The bus they mention for Pamplona to SJPP...once you put in dates in March there aren't any available. Same with Bayonne. The rideshare is BlaBlaCar, which is locals who will give you a lift, not a taxi. My friend who lives in Valencia mentioned that option to me. I have considered it but I wanted to exhaust public transportation options first, just because of being female and a solo traveler. If anyone has had positive experiences with BlaBla, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I could start in Roncesvalles. I've just always really wanted to start in SJPP. If I have to, I'll do that.
There is a good reason there are no buses in March. The weather and the lack of demand, let that guide your decision.

There is a good reason there are no buses in March. The weather and the lack of demand, let that guide your decision.

I can lose walking time and just wait a few days. Or spend 104 euro to get there on time, with Teletaxi San Fermin. I don't see an option for Roncesvalles to SJPP only, on their site. Given they'd have to drive from Pamplona anyway, it would probably cost the same.

I just didn't want to book anything expensive without exhausting all my options, first.

Last edited:
I don't know how up to date the list is: On the website of the church/parish of Roncesvalles, there is a list of taxis that can take you from Roncesvalles to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

https://www.roncesvalles.es/contenidos.php?c=16&s=141&t=&cat=&a=&idioma=3

The list contains only the phone numbers. Maybe someone has details of those who you could contact by email or website to arrange transport.

From all I read (and it does not surprise me one bit), taxis registered in Spain can't or won't pick you up in France and taxis registered in France can't or won't pick you up in Spain.

As to the Alsa bus from Pamplona to SJPP: no timetable on the web yet, so we don't know for sure when they will start; a poster had emailed them and was told that it will be middle of April. I am praying for their timetable to make on appearance on their website soon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

This one seems to be able to do it? Just expensive.

It all makes sense, it's just hard to figure it out from such a distance, plus the language barrier. I suppose a plane to CDG plus trains would cost similar to the taxi rate.

Or spend 104 euro to get there on time, with Teletaxi San Fermin.

Make sure to reserve in advance and ask to be pooled with other pilgrims if possible. Also, keep an eye out for other pilgrims on the train or bus that you take to Pamplona and ask them if they want to share with you.

Make sure to reserve in advance and ask to be pooled with other pilgrims if possible. Also, keep an eye out for other pilgrims on the train or bus that you take to Pamplona and ask them if they want to share with you.

That's a good idea! Anyone in a backpack and socks with sandals and a shell will be hard to miss! lol

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Eve Alexandra, another idea if you want to take the bus-and-taxi option: Contact Navarra Tourism. They have an office in Roncesvalles (in the old mill), with phone number and email. They would be able to provide you with info about taxis that serve Roncesvalles as a departure point. PS: I just noticed that the Roncesvalles office has a list of taxis with phone numbers on their webpage.

OTOH, @trecile's proposal may be ideal. By the 31st of March, there will be already more than just a trickle of peregrin@s and you may be able to find pilgrims to share a taxi ride from Pamplona to SJPP.

Last edited:
I've started early in year, end of February - train from Madrid to Pamplona followed by bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. There were quite a few other pilgrims on the bus but they were all starting in Roncesvalles. However, the very kind hospitaleras at Roncesvalles arranged a taxi to take me to SJPP. So this is definitely a possibility for you. Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You could try walking.

I believe there is a bus (all year) from Pamplona to San Sebastian, from where there is good public transport (bus and/or train) to Hendaye, Biarritz and Bayonne. Indeed, San Sebastian would be a fab place for a stopover, outside the summer tourist season, with plenty of affordable accommodation and some of the best bar food and restaurant food in Spain.
Express Bourricot pickup from Biarritz airport most days and (I assume) would be willing to divert via Biarritz rail station, if booked beforehand.

Hi Eve, I have the same challenge as I’ll be wanting to cross from Roncesvalles to SJPP on the 4th March. I think it’ll end up as a taxi trip unfortunately

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have booked a Alsa bus from Madrid to Bayona (Bayonne) for 7 May 2022.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back