Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

End of October?

Patrick Reidy

Hey there!

I really really really want to walk from Leon to Santiago in the last 2 weeks of October (only time I can do it until Spring). I just have a couple of worries niggling on my noggin and I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out with feedback!

Firstly, will there still be a decent amount of people walking at this time? I'm happy to be walking alone but I would feel very lonely if I saw only a couple of people each day and I want to meet cool people.

Secondly, I know weather's unpredictable, but has anyone got a general idea of Northern Spain's October climate? Will I end up like the cows in the movie Twister spinning around in a tornado, or should it be fine?

Thanks in advance!
Irish Camino Virgin

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

mspath

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Patrick,

Welcome to the Forum!

October is a great time to walk the Camino! Days are often golden. However, nights can be chilly or cold. Be prepared! Most of us who walk at this time wear lightweight warm layers which can easily be added or removed as the weather changes.

There are ALWAYS some pilgrims walking. Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. It may be chilly or even cold but there are plenty of bunks!

For other pilgrims' comments regarding October/November weather check out this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Patrick Reidy

Thanks a million for the replies and quality advice! It helped me a lot and I have decided to just go for it! Now to start saving some money and learning how to walk! :rolleyes:
God bless
Patrick

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Brian Green

Hey Patrick,

I'm also walking from Leon to Santiago but starting a week earlier than you. Not leaving Santiago until the end of Oct so if you catch up along the way and hear a Kerry accent, say hello.

Brian.

Past? Not enough.
Future? Sure!
Hi Patrick,

I've been on the Camino Frances last year 2nd half of October.
We had beautifull days, full of autumn colors and sun.
We had cold, rainy days, full of gray.

Much more than July/August, be prepared for every weather.
Temperature can change from 10 °C to 27 °C from one day to the next...

Several private albergues were closing after the first of November.
It's a holly day in Spain, and a lot of spanish peoples will be on the Camino for the last days of October: there is a "wave", arriving at Santiago the 1st of November.

Another point is that the daylight time is much shorter than in summer: it's dark from 19:00 to 8:00

But I liked it so much... enjoy and Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Patrick Reidy

Hey Patrick,

I'm also walking from Leon to Santiago but starting a week earlier than you. Not leaving Santiago until the end of Oct so if you catch up along the way and hear a Kerry accent, say hello.

Brian.
I will do Brian! Cheers for the reply, hope to bump into you somewhere along the way.

Patrick Reidy

Hi Patrick,

It's a holly day in Spain, and a lot of spanish peoples will be on the Camino for the last days of October: there is a "wave", arriving at Santiago the 1st of November.

Another point is that the daylight time is much shorter than in summer: it's dark from 19:00 to 8:00

Jacques-D.
Hey Jacques!

Thanks for the reply and the very useful information that I needed.

I will be sure to prepare for the crazy weather changes!

Regards,
Patrick

Robertmtl

Did camino El Norte ...
Hi Patrick,

Jacques-D.
Hi Jacques, I am from Canada and I am at the moment planning the camino for 2 weeks (first of october). I am going into a challenge and ready to live it. Thanks for your comments ... this helps me out because I was woundering about the temparature in October. Take care Robert

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads