• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

End of October?

Patrick Reidy

Hey there!

I really really really want to walk from Leon to Santiago in the last 2 weeks of October (only time I can do it until Spring). I just have a couple of worries niggling on my noggin and I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out with feedback!

Firstly, will there still be a decent amount of people walking at this time? I'm happy to be walking alone but I would feel very lonely if I saw only a couple of people each day and I want to meet cool people.

Secondly, I know weather's unpredictable, but has anyone got a general idea of Northern Spain's October climate? Will I end up like the cows in the movie Twister spinning around in a tornado, or should it be fine?

Thanks in advance!
Irish Camino Virgin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Patrick,

Welcome to the Forum!

October is a great time to walk the Camino! Days are often golden. However, nights can be chilly or cold. Be prepared! Most of us who walk at this time wear lightweight warm layers which can easily be added or removed as the weather changes.

There are ALWAYS some pilgrims walking. Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. It may be chilly or even cold but there are plenty of bunks!

For other pilgrims' comments regarding October/November weather check out this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks a million for the replies and quality advice! It helped me a lot and I have decided to just go for it! Now to start saving some money and learning how to walk! :rolleyes:
God bless
Patrick

Hey Patrick,

I'm also walking from Leon to Santiago but starting a week earlier than you. Not leaving Santiago until the end of Oct so if you catch up along the way and hear a Kerry accent, say hello.

Brian.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Patrick,

I've been on the Camino Frances last year 2nd half of October.
We had beautifull days, full of autumn colors and sun.
We had cold, rainy days, full of gray.

Much more than July/August, be prepared for every weather.
Temperature can change from 10 °C to 27 °C from one day to the next...

Several private albergues were closing after the first of November.
It's a holly day in Spain, and a lot of spanish peoples will be on the Camino for the last days of October: there is a "wave", arriving at Santiago the 1st of November.

Another point is that the daylight time is much shorter than in summer: it's dark from 19:00 to 8:00

But I liked it so much... enjoy and Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Hey Patrick,

I'm also walking from Leon to Santiago but starting a week earlier than you. Not leaving Santiago until the end of Oct so if you catch up along the way and hear a Kerry accent, say hello.

Brian.
I will do Brian! Cheers for the reply, hope to bump into you somewhere along the way.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Patrick,

It's a holly day in Spain, and a lot of spanish peoples will be on the Camino for the last days of October: there is a "wave", arriving at Santiago the 1st of November.

Another point is that the daylight time is much shorter than in summer: it's dark from 19:00 to 8:00

Jacques-D.
Hey Jacques!

Thanks for the reply and the very useful information that I needed.

I will be sure to prepare for the crazy weather changes!

Regards,
Patrick

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Patrick,

Jacques-D.
Hi Jacques, I am from Canada and I am at the moment planning the camino for 2 weeks (first of october). I am going into a challenge and ready to live it. Thanks for your comments ... this helps me out because I was woundering about the temparature in October. Take care Robert

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.