• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

End Scene The Way

John Scalie

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
Hi, Can anyone tell me where is the final scene in "The Way shot? Martin Sheen walks through a town with Arab looking influence. Is this Muxia or Finisterra or ... - John.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I actually started my trip in Morocco. I now wonder if I was influenced by the scene in the film. I had always wanted to visit Morocco, so it was a 50-year-old dream come true when I saw that airfare to Rabat was the same as Barcelona from my home town. I book-ended my Catholic experience in Spain with Muslim experiences in Morocco and Istanbul. Very nice balance and a soft landing for an old emotional guy.

While I did spend two days in Marrakesh, my target was spending a couple of days out on the edge of the dessert to break away from my 'normal' life in the US in preparation for the walk, my first Camino. It worked, but I will add that Moroccan cities are pretty risky for pedestrians. The driving is very precise, one inch between cars is plenty. I learned to jump with my pack on and loaded, something that came in handy in Burgos as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Met a guy in Zamora who was cycling from Coruna to Marrakech

Hi, Can anyone tell me where is the final scene in "The Way shot? Martin Sheen walks through a town with Arab looking influence. Is this Muxia or Finisterra or ... - John.
That final scene shows him after walking the Camino. In one of the flashbacks with the character's son we find out that he wanted to travel to exotic places before his untimely death. Sheen's character has now taken up that journey in memory of his son.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That final scene shows him after walking the Camino. In one of the flashbacks with the character's son we find out that he wanted to travel to exotic places before his untimely death. Sheen's character has now taken up that journey in memory of his son.
You are spot on! Well described.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one thing I don't like about this end scene is that he (the father) lives/continues his sons dream instead of finding/living his own life dream/purpose. But that might be just me ;-) And yes, that end scene is set in Morocco ... Buen Camino de la Vida and may you find your own purpose for your own life ... SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one thing I don't like about this end scene is that he (the father) lives/continues his sons dream instead of finding/living his own life dream/purpose. But that might be just me ;-) And yes, that end scene is set in Morocco ... Buen Camino de la Vida and may you find your own purpose for your own life ... SY

Interesting. I saw the scene differently. When I first saw "The Way" I felt a call to walk the Camino, but I was unable to identify the specific part of the movie that created such a strong desire in me. After the 4th or 5th viewing I realized it was the final scene that had changed me. There was a man who had broken out of his mold and found the freedom to explore the world. I wanted to be that guy. And I'm happy to say that after two Camino's I did find a way to greater freedom.

There was a man who had broken out of his mold and found the freedom to explore the world. I wanted to be that guy. And I'm happy to say that after two Camino's I did find a way to greater freedom.
I had a similar response to @SYates : it was a little disappointing that the director chose to show the character moving out of his previous rut only to fall into a mode of life ready-defined for him by someone else. I think I get the point the director wanted to make but it seemed a lazy cinematic shorthand. There are many more ways of enjoying and celebrating freedom and the diversity of life than the old cliche of a middle-aged bloke chucking off his chains, turning backpacker and then strolling about as the sole westerner through a sea of smiling faces in some unspecified but exotic foreign location. Couldn't help thinking of the window speech in "Life of Brian" where everyone calls out in unison: "Yes, we're all individuals!" :)

A PS to my post above. It may be my Protestant upbringing and education coming to the fore but I found the whole concept of making the pilgrimage on another's behalf - and even explicitly in his name - difficult to identify with. I do understand its antecedents in Catholic tradition though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A PS to my post above. It may be my Protestant upbringing and education coming to the fore but I found the whole concept of making the pilgrimage on another's behalf - and even explicitly in his name - difficult to identify with. I do understand its antecedents in Catholic tradition though.

Thank you Bradypus.
At the beginning of the film the French police officer asks Tom if he knows why he is walking the Camino, to which he replies that he supposes he is doing it for Daniel - his deceased son. The policeman replies 'you must walk the Camino for yourself, only for yourself.' Having begun walking whilst grieving following the death of my partner, I would say, based only on my own experience, that it is difficult in such circumstances to always keep that separation of intention in mind, but by the time I arrived in SdC, my understanding of that statement was clearer. I think The Way, despite its many shortcomings and obvious Hollywood limitations, nevertheless still exhibits moments of wisdom and compassion, not least informed by Martin Sheen's own Catholic convictions, his long familial connection to Spain and his consummate skills as an actor..

Hasn't it become a modern way of dealing with one's grief, maybe because other rituals of grieving or marking the loss of a loved one have disappeared?

We may be in danger of annoying the mods by straying too close to the Second Forum Commandment. I think you have a point though. Earlier generations had much more clearly defined mourning rituals which their societies explicitly recognised, encouraged and often demanded. In the Catholic tradition there were also the possibilities of regular prayers for the dead, the wealthy could endow altars and chantries for pray for benefactors, and the chance to earn vicarious indulgences. Without that formal structure people find their own way of remembering and commemorating and so we end up with the many informal shrines that dot the camino, especially in places like the Cruz de Ferro which has now a momentum of its own.

Hasn't it become a modern way of dealing with one's grief, maybe because other rituals of grieving or marking the loss of a loved one have disappeared?

Kathar1na, this has much truth in it but, without wishing to appear trite, this would make it quite an expensive way of dealing with one's grief. I think there is more to walking the Camino after the death of someone close to us, especially if you have cared for that person through their last months, weeks, days. The devastation of loss can be accompanied by the consolation of seeing the cessation of their physical suffering and the marked realisation of how all of our lives hang by a thread. I walked because I felt called to walk, and I did so when I did because of the mundane fear that a delay might mean my old bones would not be able to carry me without injury over 500 miles at a later date. I walked because I was alive and someone I loved was not; definitely a case of carpe diem, a sense of not wanting to waste the gifts I had been given and knowing that there was nothing left to lose which was a very liberating experience. Grief can result in a terrible draining away of motivation, but, strangely, it can also be a source of seemingly boundless stamina. As St Augustine said "Salvator ambulado", or all things are solved by walking. I'm with Captain Henri, the policeman in the film on this matter, 'you walk for yourself, only for yourself.' not in terms of 'it's MY Camino', but because when it is a pilgrimage, either by design or outcome, there is a process that compels you to be engaged at the physical, emotional, social and, especially spiritual level of what it is to be alive in this world.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm with Captain Henri, the policeman in the film on this matter, 'you walk for yourself, only for yourself.' not in terms of 'it's MY Camino', but because when it is a pilgrimage, either by design or outcome, there is a process that compels you to be engaged at the physical, emotional, social and, especially spiritual level of what it is to be alive in this world.

Thats lovely SEB. It is good for all of us here, veterans or newbies, to be reminded of the core, the central tenet, the essence of Camino.

The one thing I don't like about this end scene is that he (the father) lives/continues his sons dream instead of finding/living his own life dream/purpose.

It's a valid interpretation, problematic only in that the son dies on Day One, so never really does his Camino at all, except of course in the most absolute sense.

It's the father's Camino, not his son's -- and the shift in the father from trying to do someone else's Way into accepting that he's doing his own is well portrayed IMO.

It was only after walking the Camino Frances with my wife and then viewing 'The Way' again that a few of the short comings of this movie were obvious.
No rain, snow or mud. No blisters or any other injury issues to over come.
But I will say, had my my wife and I not seen this movie, walking the Camino would have never happened for us.
We had heard of people hiking in Spain and the pilgrimage aspect, but it never really made a connection with us until we saw the movie.
So you can say what you want and critique it all you want, but it was a catalyst for us to make this journey.
We are now heading back for our forth consecutive year, this time doing the Portuguese Camino this April.
We are now experiencing our most memorable holiday experiences ever. Really a change of life for us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They do not go to Finisterre. As the farther to the boy who stole hes backpack they went to Muxia to though the ashes into the water.

Aw, give poor old Martin a go! At least that ending got him out of playing endless rounds of golf.

I retired about 18 months ago and literally one of the first things I did was sell my golf clubs. Now usually people that retire look forward to golfing more.
I wanted a clean break to force myself to do new things in retirement, not just partake in the same old things I did pre-retirement.
Have not missed it at all and I have found many new interests.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I got a different take from the end scene. There was a flash back when his son said "When was the last time you traveled after mom died?" I see it as him finding himself again. Maybe the dad was the one that gave the son the travel bug? He just stopped traveling when his wife died. Then found it again when his son died.

@ZREXER having watched the movie a number of times and also the accompanying retrospect between Martin; Emilio & David Alexanian it is my understanding that they walked between 300 & 350 km. I also understand that they did not walk every day. So this probably accounts for the lack of blisters (or maybe they just did not want to expose the viewers to they feet??)
If you have made a movie you understand the real problems of trying to film in rain or snow. There was also a comment during this " review" that about the only day it rained they had scheduled to shoot indoors, so this is why no rain/snow/mud.
The scene at the Cruz de Ferro was filmed very late in October and to quote Martin "it was absolutely freezing". The movie was shot/filmed as they proceeded West and it was only in cutting/editing of the final cut that the error of putting Orrison somewhere west of Larrosoana.

@ZREXER having watched the movie a number of times and also the accompanying retrospect between Martin; Emilio & David Alexanian it is my understanding that they walked between 300 & 350 km. I also understand that they did not walk every day. So this probably accounts for the lack of blisters (or maybe they just did not want to expose the viewers to they feet??)
If you have made a movie you understand the real problems of trying to film in rain or snow. There was also a comment during this " review" that about the only day it rained they had scheduled to shoot indoors, so this is why no rain/snow/mud.
The scene at the Cruz de Ferro was filmed very late in October and to quote Martin "it was absolutely freezing". The movie was shot/filmed as they proceeded West and it was only in cutting/editing of the final cut that the error of putting Orrison somewhere west of Larrosoana.
Have to debate you. Have walked the French Way in sep 2015 no blistets, my point is you don't get blisters walking every day.
If you veiw the movie you will notis that from the start there is erros. He walked the wrong way at the Virgen, the albuerge at Roncevalles is in fact a hotel. The bridge where he lost his bagpack probably isn't on the French Way. Looking at the sun it comes from the wrong side. Most of the time they walking from west to east. At the O'cibioreo they also walk east. At the Cruz de Ferro they arrived from west.
In spite of all the errors and incorections it is a very inspiring film.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have to debate you. Have walked the French Way in sep 2015 no blistets, my point is you don't get blisters walking every day.
If you veiw the movie you will notis that from the start there is erros. He walked the wrong way at the Virgen, the albuerge at Roncevalles is in fact a hotel. The bridge where he lost his bagpack probably isn't on the French Way. Looking at the sun it comes from the wrong side. Most of the time they walking from west to east. At the O'cibioreo they also walk east. At the Cruz de Ferro they arrived from west.
In spite of all the errors and incorections it is a very inspiring film.

Sorry - I cannot agree. If you have bought the DVD there is an extra feature - the discussion - where they (Martin, Emilio & David) explain how they did the particular scenes. It may appear that they have "come from the west" at O'Cebreiro or at the Cross - but the first was that this was the best camera angle (of the background scene); the Cross - they actually had waited up by the little chapel until all other pilgrims had left (not wanting to interfere with their time) and again the apparent approach from the west was for camera angles. Just about everyone who has seen the movie comments about the bridge and the hotel - an again I say the movie was not supposed to be a totally faithful recreation of the Camino. It was the story of a father and his memorial to his dead son.

So we can agree to disagree. If not then happy for you to find the $10-15 million US and make your own movie.

Sorry - I cannot agree. If you have bought the DVD there is an extra feature - the discussion - where they (Martin, Emilio & David) explain how they did the particular scenes. It may appear that they have "come from the west" at O'Cebreiro or at the Cross - but the first was that this was the best camera angle (of the background scene); the Cross - they actually had waited up by the little chapel until all other pilgrims had left (not wanting to interfere with their time) and again the apparent approach from the west was for camera angles. Just about everyone who has seen the movie comments about the bridge and the hotel - an again I say the movie was not supposed to be a totally faithful recreation of the Camino. It was the story of a father and his memorial to his dead son.

So we can agree to disagree. If not then happy for you to find the $10-15 million US and make your own movie.
It is a good thing to agree not to agree.
I just not see your point. I am not critisice the movieand it's argument. My point is that even you make a movie, it not to be an issue that the viewer schould or could qustioning the sceanes in the movies. I believe you agree i that.

Well we can agree to disagree - and that is not a bad thing.
On the other hand I have walked the French way and bought the dvd and I have seen it several times.
Never the less - cameraangelwise or not you have to agree that they - in several occasions - walked the wrong way at the French Camino.
Further more everybody in the whole world know that the sun always hit you on your left side -
I know what the story is about, namely about a farther spreading his sons ashes all the way to Muxia. And that story is beautiful as we all is ones own pilgrimage.
Knowing that the movie - as I said before is fantastic inspiring it is definitely not an argument to make factualy incorrections even the price was 15 million US dollars. Even with an argument like that you can't make a movie in England driving in the right side of the road.

It is a good thing to agree not to agree.
I just not see your point. I am not critisice the movieand it's argument. My point is that even you make a movie, it not to be an issue that the viewer schould or could qustioning the sceanes in the movies. I believe you agree i that.

knowing that the movie - as I said before is fantastic inspiring it is definitely not an argument to make factualy incorrections even the price was 15 million US dollars. Even with an argument like that you can't make a movie in England driving in the right side of the road.

Hi Flem, surely none of these mistakes, we could call them poetic license, and even renaissance painters could play fast and loose with the content of religious painting, a backdrop to the Nativity clearly showing an Italian vista in the distance.

Saint Mike II is right to call attention to the DVD extras and the presentation that Martin aSheen & Emilio Estevez gave at Georgetown University is also worth watching. The film was made within a very tight timeframe to fit in with Martin Sheen's other contractual obligations, with a small - in Hollywood terms - budget, with the crew often battling to shoot scenes when the weather, as it often does on the Camino, demonstrated its unpredictability. I am glad that despite all this they managed to make the film, I don't care about the errors, the good stuff is still good. I met people from the USA who had been so inspired by watching the film that they had decided to do the Camino themselves, carefully arranging finances so they could manage to pay the airfare, negotiating time off from work, then travelling thousands of miles to sleep in bunks, share bathrooms - the hardest part for some of those I met - and all to walk 500 miles. But of course, it was more than that. One man travelling with his wife, said he felt called to walk after seeing the film and his wife accompanied him all the way, even though this was an experience she said was way outside her comfort zone.
The Way (like many similarly engaging films) is more than what you see on the screen; it inspires and moves watchers because of things it triggers emotionally, and prompts things (feelings, memories, thoughts) we bring to the experience while watching it. I don't think the makers knew just what the impact of the film would be - not least for the economy of northern Spain, but then there is what one writer termed 'the beholder's share', what has been created goes out into the world and it acts upon people and they on it. It is not a great movie, but it is a culturally important one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The final scene was shot in Marrakesh, Morocco. Martin and Emilio discuss in the "commentary" version on the DVD.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.