A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Ender’s Olvidado Guide in English

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

peregrina2000

Staff member
Here is a link to the English version of the Olvidado guide. Sorry for the delay, but I was walking when I should have been cleaning up some of the language. But since I was walking the Olvidado, all was forgiven. 😄

I hope more forum members will strike out and soak up the beauty here.

There are some stretches where the municipalities have still not actually installed the Olvidado mojones (which are kind of a rusty metal with “camino olvidado” cut out), so there are places where a GPS, IMO is still essential. At least if you have my cartographic skills rather than VN’s!

As always, updates and suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

Buen camino, Laurie

MikeJS

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Sureste/Invierno (Apr/May 2017).
Thank you very much. I seem to have loads of info about the Olvidado now!

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
This looks great, thank you.

Having skimmed a couple of pages, I see there are a lot of photos in the guide. If there is a ‘market’ for it, would it be possible to create a text-only version (perhaps excepting cases where photos might help with way-marking)? That would be helpful for people who want to print the guide, and for people like me who prefer not to see photos of places before I visit them.

peregrina2000

Staff member
This looks great, thank you.

Having skimmed a couple of pages, I see there are a lot of photos in the guide. If there is a ‘market’ for it, would it be possible to create a text-only version (perhaps excepting cases where photos might help with way-marking)? That would be helpful for people who want to print the guide, and for people like me who prefer not to see photos of places before I visit them.
This is an issue with the Salvador guide as well. I will broach the subject, but there is a lot of pride of authorship here.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I just had a quick look at it, Laurie, and am blown away. So beautifully done, and I like the gorgeous photos. They really give a sense of the feeling of the walk. Please relay my heartfelt congratulations and thanks to Ender; if there is pride of authorship, it is not without reason.
@jungleboy, I'd suggest copying the text and pasting it onto a blank Word document, and printing that. If you don't want the photos, far better for you to find a way around that yourself, than to ask the author to make a bespoke version that meets your individual specs.

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
I will broach the subject, but there is a lot of pride of authorship here.
Thanks, understood.
If you don't want the photos, far better for you to find a way around that yourself, than to ask the author to make a bespoke version that meets your individual specs.
I did not ask for a bespoke version that meets my individual specs. I made one request and specifically said if there is a market for it (i.e. if enough other people also request it). Of course I will find a way around it myself if the author prefers not to offer a text-only version, but I don’t think it’s an unreasonable request.

In any case, thanks again to Ender for providing this resource for us.

Simon Shum

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Oct 2013, Porto, San Salvador & Primitivo 2014. Norte 2016, VdLP & Via Francigena 2017
Laurie, muchas muchas gracias for your dedication to help pilgrims! And thanks Ender for his works -- I truly enjoy the Salvador with his guide a few years ago, and now the Olvidado is on my list for next year or very soon!
Beun Camino de Vida!
Simon

Dinah Shaw

Volcano Climber
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016
Here is a link to the English version of the Olvidado guide. Sorry for the delay, but I was walking when I should have been cleaning up some of the language. But since I was walking the Olvidado, all was forgiven. 😄

There are some stretches where the municipalities have still not actually installed the Olvidado mojones (which are kind of a rusty metal with “camino olvidado” cut out), so there are places where a GPS, IMO is still essential. At least if you have my cartographic skills rather than VN’s!

Buen camino, Laurie
I'd like to do this Camino but I don't want to do the Frances. Is there anyway to detour and do San Salvador, Primitivo or something else to get to Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'd like to do this Camino but I don't want to do the Frances. Is there anyway to detour and do San Salvador, Primitivo or something else to get to Santiago
The easiest “untraveled camino” combo is to walk the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada and then the Invierno (another camino with a core bunch of forum fanatical fans) to Santiago.

You could also walk the Olvidado from Bilbao to Buiza and then continue on the Salvador to Pajares - Bendueños - Pola de Lena - Mieres - Oviedo. From there the Primitivo.

If I had to choose between those two options it would be a VERY hard decision.

Mycroft

Buen camino, Laurie
Many thanks for this. Looks lovely! I do not own a mobile phone, nor have anything with GPS, so are you saying it would be impossible for a luddite to travel this route?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Many thanks for this. Looks lovely! I do not own a mobile phone, nor have anything with GPS, so are you saying it would be impossible for a luddite to travel this route?
It is lovely, very very lovely. I would not walk this route alone without a GPS. But if I were with someone, and if I were armed with a good guide 😄 I think it would be possible, and certainly safer than going alone without a GPS. The “problem” is that there are routes that take you up in the mountains, real mountains, far from towns. The day after Pola de Gordón, for instance, you could really get stuck in nowhere, with no people or towns for many kms in any direction. And the day to Vegacervera, with its incredible ascent to a ring of peaks, though there are many trails, I was glad to have my GPS to point me onto the right one. But I know there are forum members who have and will walk this route with no GPS. It just depends on your skill set. Mine obviously has a few big defecits.

Dinah Shaw

Volcano Climber
Camino(s) past & future
The easiest “untraveled camino” combo is to walk the Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada and then the Invierno (another camino with a core bunch of forum fanatical fans) to Santiago.

You could also walk the Olvidado from Bilbao to Buiza and then continue on the Salvador to Pajares - Bendueños - Pola de Lena - Mieres - Oviedo. From there the Primitivo.

If I had to choose between those two options it would be a VERY hard decision.
Thanks so much. Sounds good. I wanted to do the San Salvador and Primitivo anyway. I think the Frances is boring and overrated.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I think the Frances is boring and overrated.
Yeah. There are no volcanoes. ;););)
(A friend said that to me after her first visit to Europe with her father, to see where he had come from. She was kidding. Sort of. When you grow up on a volcano and eruptions are your work...everything else seems a little bland by comparison.)

Dinah Shaw

Volcano Climber
Camino(s) past & future
Yeah. There are no volcanoes. ;););)
(A friend said that to me after her first visit to Europe with her father, to see where he had come from. She was kidding. Sort of. When you grow up on a volcano and eruptions are your work...everything else seems a little bland by comparison.)
You are absolutely right

Mycroft

It is lovely, very very lovely. I would not walk this route alone without a GPS. But if I were with someone, and if I were armed with a good guide 😄 I think it would be possible, and certainly safer than going alone without a GPS. The “problem” is that there are routes that take you up in the mountains, real mountains, far from towns. The day after Pola de Gordón, for instance, you could really get stuck in nowhere, with no people or towns for many kms in any direction. And the day to Vegacervera, with its incredible ascent to a ring of peaks, though there are many trails, I was glad to have my GPS to point me onto the right one. But I know there are forum members who have and will walk this route with no GPS. It just depends on your skill set. Mine obviously has a few big defecits.
Many thanks. I think at this point in my life I need to be wise, so your advice is appreciated.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%