• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ender's Salvador guide in English

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks great. I like the photographs of the trail intersections with the clear markings for directions and turns. Thanks for your involvement with the translation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Laurie and anyone else who has done both.
I know you have done both Salvador and Vadiniense. Both are similar length/duration. Which has the best scenery and less road walking?
Regards
Andrew

Hi, Andrew,
First of all, I wouldn't say the Salvador and Vadiniense are the same length. The Salvador is only 120 km, but the Vadiniense goes all the way from Potes to Leon, so it must be a lot longer. My experience may not reflect the current reality because I have heard there has been some off-road re-routing, but when I walked the Lebaniego/Vadiniense, it was almost entirely on asphalt, except for the beautiful part between Potes and the end of the Senda da Remona, before Portilla de la Reina. It was really really hard on my feet.

The Salvador has its asphalt, but most is on the river path before Mieres (and you can squeeze off onto a dirt shoulder usually) and also on the way into Oviedo (not surprising). The new version of the guide does suggest an off-road route for most of the way out of Leon, which is what I will certainly use the next time I walk the Salvador. The scenery in the Picos near Potes is as beautiful as the scenery in the mountains between Leon and Asturias, IMO. I would be hard pressed to pick a winner. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Big improvement and thanks to those involved in it's production, which I assume means you Laurie. On page 40 there is a reference to what happens if you go wrong at the gate at the chapel of St Martin.
"If you make a mistake at the chapel of San Martín, you will go around the back of the town on a very steep road. It’s longer, and it takes your breath away, but it will also take you to Llanos de Somerón."
I went wrong and went left and up that hill. Steep is not the word! Never ending as well. Totally exhausting. The hardest climb I have encountered in my Caminos. Some beautiful views on the way to rejoining the Camino as you are much (much) higher up. I definitely never wish to repeat it though and will be equally definitely going through that what looks like private gateway this time!

Hi, Andrew,
First of all, I wouldn't say the Salvador and Vadiniense are the same length. The Salvador is only 120 km, but the Vadiniense goes all the way from Potes to Leon, so it must be a lot longer. My experience may not reflect the current reality because I have heard there has been some off-road re-routing, but when I walked the Lebaniego/Vadiniense, it was almost entirely on asphalt, except for the beautiful part between Potes and the end of the Senda da Remona, before Portilla de la Reina. It was really really hard on my feet.

The Salvador has its asphalt, but most is on the river path before Mieres (and you can squeeze off onto a dirt shoulder usually) and also on the way into Oviedo (not surprising). The new version of the guide does suggest an off-road route for most of the way out of Leon, which is what I will certainly use the next time I walk the Salvador. The scenery in the Picos near Potes is as beautiful as the scenery in the mountains between Leon and Asturias, IMO. I would be hard pressed to pick a winner. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for your help Laurie. I found the Lebaniego really beautiful 2 years ago with almost no road walking now. It is getting a lot of publicity too. Regards, Adnrew

Big improvement and thanks to those involved in it's production, which I assume means you Laurie. On page 40 there is a reference to what happens if you go wrong at the gate at the chapel of St Martin.
"If you make a mistake at the chapel of San Martín, you will go around the back of the town on a very steep road. It’s longer, and it takes your breath away, but it will also take you to Llanos de Somerón."
I went wrong and went left and up that hill. Steep is not the word! Never ending as well. Totally exhausting. The hardest climb I have encountered in my Caminos. Some beautiful views on the way to rejoining the Camino as you are much (much) higher up. I definitely never wish to repeat it though and will be equally definitely going through that what looks like private gateway this time!

You, know, Al, the first time I walked the Salvador, that was the marked camino. It was a good cardio exercise, shall we say. Then Ender decided to get involved and found the alternative, which is much gentler. But hard core pilgrims may choose to challenge themselves by taking the old route.

I agree with you that the new edition is improved. I can't take any of the credit, though, since I was only the translator.

And Ender really likes meeting pilgrims, so if you're at the La Robla albergue, make sure the blinds are up in the kitchen, and he is likely to stop by on his way to and fro. (And I'm sure he'd love to meet you, Al, as you were the catalyst for his visit to Poladura to see about getting that dog tied up. :)). Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Andrew,

Hi Laurie...you've convinced me! Heading off from Leon on 30 June!

Great job! Thank you so much. I am now seriously considering this route, thanks to this excellent resource-- in English :D:D. BTW, my rating of the original Spanish refers to the "derailed" photos. :eek: Should be "detailed". Thanks again, autocorrect :mad:.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ender is the best expert on this way. He knows each meter and he's taking care of the signaling.
If you need some extra info, he is available at the FaceBook group Camino de San Salvador.

Wow! All this information is great. I loved Ender's work. I am so looking forward to doing San Salvador in September if my knee holds out.

Dear fellow pilgrims, I was doing my research on guidebooks for Salvador and came across this thread. Do I understand it right if I say that:

- there is no 2018 edition of Ender's guide? The latest available is the 2016 above?
- the only other comprehensive resource for the Salvador is Gronze?
- Gronze is only a website (and apparently an app?) so there is no printed Gronze guidebook to be purchased anywhere?

Thanks for helping me bring in more clarity :) Am super excited about starting the Salvador in a few weeks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear fellow pilgrims, I was doing my research on guidebooks for Salvador and came across this thread. Do I understand it right if I say that:

- there is no 2018 edition of Ender's guide? The latest available is the 2016 above?
- the only other comprehensive resource for the Salvador is Gronze?
- Gronze is only a website (and apparently an app?) so there is no printed Gronze guidebook to be purchased anywhere?

Thanks for helping me bring in more clarity :) Am super excited about starting the Salvador in a few weeks!

Hi, Princess,
The latest Salvador guide from Ender is 2016, but I think it is all you need. There haven’t been any major changes, and the level of detail is unsurpassed.
You will LOVE the Salvador!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.