• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ending a Camino earlier than planned

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sorry you are going home sooner that expected Ingrid, I hope everything works out for the best and that you are able to return. Stay in touch here.

Safe travels home.

So I am back in Madrid returning home 20 days earlier than planned.
The reason is less important then how I feel about it...disappointed a bit numb and at the same time glad to go home.

I know there is always a next time...maybe. 2021...seems reasonable. Ultreia

Hola @IngridF , bummer. Yes ending ones Camino with the job not finished is never fun. The disappointment will eventually subside. As for returning in 2021, well as a TV commercial use to say "please consider" - 2021 is a Holy Year (ie St James day 25 July falls on a Sunday), so based on all the talk it the Camino Frances will be totally over crowded. So if you can find an alternate year that would be my suggestion. Oh BTW - you can resume your camino from the point were you finished this time - just be sure to get a stamp in your credenzial from this point. Buen Camino!:):D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very sorry. I hope you will have good memories of your time volunteering. I will have made a big difference to others.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @IngridF , bummer. Yes ending ones Camino with the job not finished is never fun. The disappointment will eventually subside. As for returning in 2021, well as a TV commercial use to say "please consider" - 2021 is a Holy Year (ie St James day 25 July falls on a Sunday), so based on all the talk it the Camino Frances will be totally over crowded. So if you can find an alternate year that would be my suggestion. Oh BTW - you can resume your camino from the point were you finished this time - just be sure to get a stamp in your credenzial from this point. Buen Camino!:):D
Yes I know ...I worked at the pilgrims office the first 2 weeks in July. I choose 2021 because of the Holy year...I would like to walk through the door...

Glad we had the opportunity to meet in Santiago - thanks to Sybille:)

By volunteering in the Pilgrim's Office and in the albergue in Grado you for sure made a positive contribution and impact on other pilgrims' Caminos.

Wish you well (from someone who was forced to stop her second Camino).

Ultreia
LT

All will be ok. Walk with your head up, sholders and smile. Buen camino see you in 21 God willin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can imagine how you feel. Just had to stop Le Puy route after 8 days of the 21 days planned. Feeling grumpy and miserable and "unfinished" ..back in New Zealand in rainy winter. Could not go back to work as temp in place and have wasted 3 weeks of valuable annual leave. I am spitting with frustration.

Last edited:
Can imagine how you feel. Just had to stop Le Puy route after 8 days of the 21 days planned. Feeling grumpy and miserable and "unfinished" ..back in New Zealand in rainy winter. Could not go back to work as temp in place and have wasted 3 weeks of valuable annual leave. I am spitting with frustration.
I know how you feel...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Draga Ingrid,
Upam, da bo s teboj in tvojimi vse v redu in da se boš srečna vrnila na Camino.
Lepo bodi in pazi nase!

(Dear Ingrid,
I hope all will be well with you and yours and that you will happily come back to Camino.
Be well and take care!)

Boštjan

Urgh, so sorry. I for once had 7 weeks, and was forced home with a still bummed knee after 3 weeks.

So sorry to hear this news Ingrid. You have done an INCREDIBLE amount of good while on your camino this year - you have been intrepid, you have put emotional and soul pain from injury in the past, IN THE PAST, and you have gone out on a limb to help pilgrims - at the Pilgrims Office, at Grado and out on those ancient and magical paths themselves - for example, young Alex at Sahagun.

It was a pleasure and a privilege to have the time walking with you from Moratinos to Leon - these are treasured memories Ingrid.

With love -
Jenny xxx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Much love back
So sorry to hear this news Ingrid. You have done an INCREDIBLE amount of good while on your camino this year - you have been intrepid, you have put emotional and soul pain from injury in the past, IN THE PAST, and you have gone out on a limb to help pilgrims - at the Pilgrims Office, at Grado and out on those ancient and magical paths themselves - for example, young Alex at Sahagun.

It was a pleasure and a privilege to have the time walking with you from Moratinos to Leon - these are treasured memories Ingrid.

With love -
Jenny xxx
And the privilege was mine...I wonder how young Alex has faired Xoxo

Much love back

And the privilege was mine...I wonder how young Alex has faired Xoxo
Cheers Ingrid - pilgrim sisters that we are! Hmmm - I hope young Alex had a wonderful camino, that he gained insights and that his time in London with the acting classes is going tremendously. He is indeed a very special young man.
Camino hugs and much love -
Jenny xoxo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ingrid, I am always sorry when things don't go as planned. Plans, especially for those of us a bit older, are hopes. We look forward to the "escape" of a Camino while working, attending to aging relatives, attending to young relatives, and the day to day. Going on Camino is our reset and joy.

I hope that your health, legs, feet, family, and health is doing okay, and I know that any and all of those elements can throw a monkey wrench in the best-laid plans very quickly.

The reason is less important then how I feel about it...disappointed a bit numb and at the same time glad to go home.

I know there is always a next time...maybe.
2021...seems reasonable.

Ultreia

These things happen. We have to look at the positive side. I became injured 2 days away from Santiago - grr. I stayed at a wonderful private albergue. When I arrived home I still had difficulty walking but ...
The albergue was good. The bar in the albergue was good. The albergue staff drove me to the airport as I could not walk, or catch a bus or train. Wifi was good and I had a Kindle, so I read and read.
Next year I hope to go back and finish it! Being positive is part of the Camino.

2021...seems reasonable.

Ultreia
Your journey ended when it was supposed to end. There is a higher power guiding our actions. The same power which will guide you to return if that is willed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your journey ended when it was supposed to end. There is a higher power guiding our actions. The same power which will guide you to return if that is willed.
Yes there was... I am sitting in emergency with my daughter who broke her ankle badly last night and needs surgery. Thank goodness I am home

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Ingrid, I just saw this thread now and wanted to commiserate, since I also have had to end a camino prior to the anticipated date and place. Once the immediate sting wore off, it fell into the "life disappointment" category, but at the time it felt like it should go in the "huge tragedy" box. You didn't seem to wallow in self-pity like I did when I had to stop walking the Vdlp in Cáceres. I will try to follow your much better example the next time this happens!

And best wishes for a good recovery for your daughter. There may be no scientific evidence to back this up, but I'll bet a mother's presence makes this all easier for her.

I also plan to be in Santiago in 2021 so we will have to have a proper reunion! Laurie

2021...seems reasonable.

Ultreia

Hi Ingrid,
I also had to abort my Camino once I got to Estella. I injured my foot and ended up going to the hospital in Pamplona. I was so very disappointed and in a bit of a funk once I got home. But with a badly sprained foot I just could not walk. But I will be back hopefully in 2019!

Anna

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back