• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ending in Santiago - 2 options?

sonhador

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017, 2023)
I'm trying to work some logistics for the end of my Camino. I'm trying to keep to 25 km days, but need to schedule some tourist travel after the camino. So thoughts on what is possible please.

1) When I arrive in Santiago - can I get my compestella the next day? I'd rather not wait in a line for several hours after hiking all day.

2) Alternatively, can I stop in Monte del Gozo and just have a short walk before arriving in Santiago? (And hopefully ahead of a surge of pilgrims?)

Are there other options I haven't thought of?

Regardless, how long should I plan on being in Santiago? For the most part I happy to see what happens in the middle, but I'm trying to get my first day or two, and last day or two planned out to some extent.

Thanks!
Erin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm trying to work some logistics for the end of my Camino. I'm trying to keep to 25 km days, but need to schedule some tourist travel after the camino. So thoughts on what is possible please.

1) When I arrive in Santiago - can I get my compestella the next day? I'd rather not wait in a line for several hours after hiking all day.

2) Alternatively, can I stop in Monte del Gozo and just have a short walk before arriving in Santiago? (And hopefully ahead of a surge of pilgrims?)

Regardless, how long should I plan on being in Santiago? For the most part I happy to see what happens in the middle, but I'm trying to get my first day or two, and last day or two planned out to some extent.

Thanks!
Erin

Hi Erin,

Everything is allowed and possible! If you arrive before noon you will be named as one of the arrivals at the midday cathedral Mass.

Regarding : stay in SdC? Well some people find arriving and staying there a bit daunting and too impressive after the rural walking before. I personally love to stay there for two or three nights. Treat yourself to a nice pension , watch pilgrims arrive, maybe meeting up with some friends you met, treat yourself to a good Rioja crianza and some decent tapas.
And you could take a bus to Finisterre/ Muxia....

Enjoy!!

Thanks!
Erin
1) yes, but you will probably be so excited that you will do it anyway and stand in line.

2) Sure, why not, if you have the self discipline. That close, with the Cathedral calling you to come in and hug the statue of Santiago, it will take a lot of self control to stop at Monte del Gozo.

What I did, was I planned for 3 nights in Santiago. I got there early and two nights before I arrived called my hostel to see about adding an extra day to my reservations. That was not a problem in May for me. I had plane reservations from Madrid, but not from Santiago, so prior to arriving in Santiago I reserved last minute an Ryanair flight from Santiago to Madrid (they fly most days). I had some slack time in Madrid as well so I could be a tourist and make sure I caught my next flight.

I think many people don't plan enough slack time at the end of their Camino and have to rush the last 100+ Km just to make flights home.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't think I waited in line more than an hour. In fact, it was probably less than that. I think I went to the Pilgrim's office around 1:00 or 2:00.

Last July I went to the Pilgrim's office at about 7:00-7:30PM on the day I arrived. There was one person in the line waiting. The whole process took less than 10 minutes.

Yes, you can get your compostela the next day if you like. That's totally fine. We arrived in Santiago right at noon - the cathedral bells chimed noon as we were walking through the tunnel where a bag piper was playing. It doesn't get much more iconic than that! We went to the pilgrim's office at 1pm and waited about 30 minutes. But you can go whenever you want. I think that the peak times are probably 2-5 pm as that's the time of day most people arrive if they've spent the last night 20-30km from Santiago.

I think it would be hard to stay in Monte del Gozo and not continue onto Santiago that day. That's only like an hour's walk from the Cathedral. We stayed the last night before arriving in Santiago in Amenal, which is near the airport, and even being THAT close, it was hard not to just keep going. We'd already walked 20+ km that day and knew that we did not have 15km more in us that day - I've never managed a 35km day ever - but because we were soooooo close, I just wanted to go - I was trying to convince myself that I could walk another 3-4 hours that day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed at Monte de Gozo last September. Stay at the Polish albergue it's excellent and far more personal than the massive one that resembles a communist holiday camp. We walked into Santiago next morning, breakfast en route. Booked into the Seminario Menor then queued for 1hrs 30 mins to obtain our Compostela certificates. We attended mass that evening at 19.30.( advise you get there an hour early to get a seat).
I found SdC a shock, noisy and busy and couldn't wait to leave for Finisterra next day. On the return both Caminos completed, we enjoyed our day and overnight stay in SdC.

I too stayed at Monte de Gozo the night before I arrived in Santiago. I arrived in SdC around 9:15 AM, and had to wait in line over an hour (this was late May). So I guess it all varies.

It was good to meet up with peregrinos I had not seen in a while, I stayed 2 nights before leaving for Muxia/Finisterre, and another night on the way back.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Thanks!
Erin

Yes & Yes
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Monte del Gozo is Spartan, somewhat soul-less, though the staff is usually friendly and helpful. The walk in from MdG is also not especially inspiring until you reach Porto do Camiño. I prefer to stop in Arca do Pina and next morning finish off all the disasterous last stage - the trek around the aeropuerto de Santiago at Lavacolla, skipping MdG, walking blind on the bridge over the autopista, ignoring the malls and and car dealers until finding shelter in Santiago. Like going to the dentist, if one must suffer, better to finish it off at one go.

Thanks! I think I'm going to have plan on stopping in MdG, but if I choose to walk on, it is no issue. I won't plan on leaving until at least the day after for Finesterre and Muxia so I've got a little bit of wiggle room on top of that as well.

6 weeks to go...

Erin

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.