• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Energy crisis in Europe?

SomeGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2022
Hey everyone,
I've been reading about the energy crisis and cost of living crisis hitting Europe, and the fears that things might get even worse this winter. How is that affecting the Caminos? Have the prices for room and board gone up? Would rooms be unheated if I was walking in late autumn? I was planning (or not planning!) a very last minute walk, doing the Le Puy route starting in mid October. Is that too late in the year? Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated, because I feel quite clueless.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, @SomeGirl . Welcome to the forum.

Prices have gone up in Spain like everywhere else. Energy has always been more expensive in Europe than in North America, so heating has always been less "reliable" in rooms on the Camino. Even in years past, some albergues closed in the autumn because of the cost of heating made them unviable. I expect that albergue and hostal operators will be even more concerned this year, and they will need to conserve electricity and reduce the heat, and/or recover some of the costs from us. We should respect their efforts to keep the costs down - for example by carrying our own sleeping bags and warm clothes (e.g. down jackets), and not using hair dryers to dry our clothes.

Here are some threads on the subject:
You can also browse the threads tagged with money/banking/budget for some cost and budget discussions.

Hey everyone,
I've been reading about the energy crisis and cost of living crisis hitting Europe, and the fears that things might get even worse this winter. How is that affecting the Caminos? Have the prices for room and board gone up? Would rooms be unheated if I was walking in late autumn? I was planning (or not planning!) a very last minute walk, doing the Le Puy route starting in mid October. Is that too late in the year? Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated, because I feel quite clueless.

You'll find the price of pretty much everything in euros has gone up recently; however, as you're from the US you'll find that you're currently getting a significantly better exchange rate to the USD. It touched parity (one-for-one) in the last week or so.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Setting aside the half tonne minimum of kerosene you will personally burn crossing the atlantic, fuel costs in Europe are rising alarmingly and we are told to expect it to reach a crisis point this coming winter, it already has for many of us.You may find many albergues are unheated and should plan accordingly with warm layers and a good sleeping bag if you plan to walk beyond October..

Setting aside the half tonne minimum of kerosene you will personally burn crossing the atlantic, fuel costs in Europe are rising alarmingly and we are told to expect it to reach a crisis point this coming winter, it already has for many of us.You may find many albergues are unheated and should plan accordingly with warm layers and a good sleeping bag if you plan to walk beyond October..
I had initially been planning to do the Appalachian Trail next spring, but unfortunately it's not working out with my schedule, so this is plan B. But, on the plus side, I can actually use my French and Spanish, so that will be fun. I've already bought a sleeping bag and tent for the AT, but it sounds like the tent probably won't be very practical here, since there doesn't seem to be much free camping along the Caminos. I've got hiking clothes and plenty of layers. I did tea house trekking in Nepal and froze at night, and I don't really want to repeat that!

I had initially been planning to do the Appalachian Trail next spring, but unfortunately it's not working out with my schedule, so this is plan B. But, on the plus side, I can actually use my French and Spanish, so that will be fun. I've already bought a sleeping bag and tent for the AT, but it sounds like the tent probably won't be very practical here, since there doesn't seem to be much free camping along the Caminos. I've got hiking clothes and plenty of layers. I did tea house trekking in Nepal and froze at night, and I don't really want to repeat that!
Perhaps something like this has already been designed: a skinny, noiseless material that takes up 'no' space or weight and doesn't cost the earth - a kind of survival blanket. If not yet designed, go to it, inventors. Meantime, what about something like this?
0072D1EA-DF62-4719-BF76-BFC68BB32F56.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@SomeGirl as you are talking about the Le Puy, I think a tent is entirely possible as there are far more camp grounds along that route than the Camino Francés in Spain. This is a website by two Australians - see down the page to "Is accommodation difficult to find on the Le Puy".

September is a very popular month for walking in France (not just on the Chemin, but on all the GR routes) but by mid October it will be getting colder and things will be quieter. Getting into November it is often rainy, as well as cold. Snow on the Aubrac is a possibility, and that is one area where we managed to lose the trail, even without snow. So take care. If you have walked in Nepal you are well prepared!

One particular difference between the Le Puy and walking in Spain is that you will nearly always have to ring ahead and not "walk up" to your accommodation - with campsites to check they are actually open, with gites that they are open and to let them know if you want a meal. Many of the villages no longer have supermarkets or restaurants or even a bakery or cafe - inhabitants drive to larger centres to shop - and even in larger towns things are closed on Sundays and Mondays. So you need to know what is available and to think ahead about provisions.

Having said all that, it really is a beautiful, beautiful route. Glorious countryside, pretty villages, and the river towns on the Lot are stunning. Fabulous food and wine. Good access by train to Le Puy, Figeac, Moissac, Cahors.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back