• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enforced relaxation

A

Anonymous

Oh dear... I have a broken foot and that has completely stopped me in my tracks. The stupid thing is that I haven´t even done any walking! I just flew in from England and in no time at all I fell down the steps and that´s me out of action...

I´m staying on the camino in Moratinos with Reb, and the idea was to help with some painting work here, then maybe look after the animals while Reb takes a well-deserved break, and finally do some walking from Burgos back to here before returning to Rome...

Now I´m just sitting here with my leg in plaster and none of the above is happening. So, I began to think, what shall I do with the enforced leisure time in this sleepy village on the Camino? Well, how about praying for the pilgrims presently on the road? That´s what I shall be doing. Just respond to this if you want to be remembered in regular prayers over the next couple of weeks, and I´ll just sit here (mending my foot), reading and praying. Just a quick post with your name will do, or add any details for particular prayer intentions.

Gareth

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WolverineDG said:
How long will you be in Moratinos, Gareth? I'll be starting from SJP next Tuesday. :shock: if you're there long enough, perhaps we'll meet up?

That could work! :) I will have my leg in plaster for some time to come... Not exactly sure how long. I need to be back in Italy by mid-September.

Consider yourself added to the prayer list. I am experimenting with my crutches now, and have increased my speed now to a frightening pace, inspired by the mad example of Rebekah´s three-legged dog Una. So I shall hop along to Moratinos church, now open to pilgrims (and sello available), and spend some time each day in prayer there. Keep those prayer petitions coming, folks. PM seems to be the favoured method, or email me direct at garethomas (at) gmail.com (Substitute at sign.)

Gareth

Addendum:
I have just returned from hobbling down to Moratinos church on crutches, which turned out to be a half hour journey each way (a distance of some 300 metres). :?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Gareth! Or should I say "Hop A Long Cassidy?" :wink: I'm sure you'll soon be speeding away on those crutches. Just takes a bit of practice. Hope your foot feels better soon! :)

Kelly

Gareth Thomas said:
Addendum:
I have just returned from hobbling down to Moratinos church on crutches, which turned out to be a half hour journey each way (a distance of some 300 metres). :?

Oh Gareth :shock: Is it even as far as 300m??!! You take it easy! All the best for your recovery.
Margaret

Consider the other angles as well:
Here is a hospitalera looking forward to a break, now with a laid-up seminarian in the house. Add a cranky existentialist husband to the mix, and a three-legged dog, and (very soon) Johnnie Walker. Outside it is a dry, dry 32 degrees.

Pray for us.
Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
KiwiNomad06 said:
Oh Gareth :shock: Is it even as far as 300m??!!

We´ll soon see: I´m just heading down there with the latest prayer list. I shall count the steps: one swing of the crutches = 1 metre, more or less, I think.

Gareth

Update

It is 250 swings of the crutches to the church in Moratinos. But we did not stop there did we? Foolishly, I decided to walk to San Nicolas, the next village and have lunch. I arrived after four hours of agony, with aching wrists, aching ribs and a terrible thirst, to discover the kitchen had closed. On the way a French family passed me and I asked them for water but they seemed not to understand. A Spanish cyclist passed me and I asked him for water (I was now dying!) and he said, "I only have half a bottle," and he carried on riding. It was another hour before I reached S.Nicolas: but he would have arrived within three minutes, downhill, and there is a fountain and a bar. I am on crutches doing six steps at a time and resting: he was coasting downhill on a super mountain bike. I begin to wonder about the spirit of the Camino.

Earlier, I prayed in the church for all who requested prayers - Pax et Bonum,

Gareth

PS: Update. Have now left the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back