• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

England to Sarria to Santiago de Compostela and back to England

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).
I flew out of Stansted with Ryan Air for Santiago de Compostela - 34 English pounds (about 45 Euros).

The easiest way to get to Sarria, I thought, was by train (very cheap about 15 Euro I think). There is a bus, from the airport to the bus station that then goes onto the train station. So very easy to get to the bus and the train station from the airport.

The only problem was that the train I caught in the afternoon got me into Sarria mid-evening and I had no idea where to go but just head straight up the road that heads into town from the train station. Keep going until you can see a large church up on a hill to your right. Head up to the church and if you stand with your back to the church door you will see a street directly ahead of you. On the right hand corner of the start of that street, just after the piazza in front of the church, is a hostel (you wouldn't know this by looking at it). It's also a small bar serving wine, beer, and pre-made bread rolls with meat or vegetables into. 10 Euros for the night. The next morning turn right out of the front door keep walking and you'll see the first yellow arrow showing you the route to Santiago.

When I finished the Camino I went to the airport to get a flight back - Veuling wanted to charge me 500 Euros! So I travelled to Santander to catch a ferry back to the UK.

To get to Santander try this: bus (Compostela to Ferrol), train (Ferrol to Aviedo), and bus (Aviedo to Santander). I ended up heading for the airport in Santander as the ferry didn't go on a Sunday (the day I arrived) and caught a RyanAir flight back to Stansted (200 Euros) - still a rip-off given the cost to get to Santiago but a lot cheaper than Veuling.

NOTE: The train trip from Ferrol to Aviedo is worth the trip. There are 105 stations over 400 kms and we stopped at most of them. I think this may be a record for frequency of stops on any train in the world.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly I'm not surprised at the prices you were quoted at the airport for flights. Tickets bought at the airport on the day will almost always be sold at full price. Booking only two or three days before may cost a fraction of the price. For tech junkies like myself using a smartphone app like Kayak or Skyscanner simplifies the business. I have flown from both Santiago and A Coruna to London for less than £40 in off-season, booking only three days before. While walking I prefer not to book accommodation ahead to leave my options open but flights are another matter altogether.

Sadly I'm not surprised at the prices you were quoted at the airport for flights. Tickets bought at the airport on the day will almost always be sold at full price. Booking only two or three days before may cost a fraction of the price. For tech junkies like myself using a smartphone app like Kayak or Skyscanner simplifies the business. I have flown from both Santiago and A Coruna to London for less than £40 in off-season, booking only three days before. While walking I prefer not to book accommodation ahead to leave my options open but flights are another matter altogether.

One of my issues is that I never book a return flight and I know that if I did I could get a better price. I don't pre-book because I never know when I will finish a hike. I may take 10 days or 20. However, booking a few days before I know I will arrive makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your response I will be a bit more sensible next time. But I must admit the trip to Santander was a real adventure. Gun shots in Santander, hookers on the way to the port, the incredible train trip that filled up with teenagers about 15 stops before Oviedo, etc., etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those who want to catch the ferry in Santander be aware that it is not only Wednesday only for the trip to Plymouth, or Monday to Portsmouth, but it is also seasonal. Next ferry is in March to Plymouth! I think that the Portsmouth ferry runs a limited service all year.
We love that train journey from Ferrol to Oviedo and also on to Santander.
Gun shots in Santander :eek: what was going on?.......

I flew out of Stansted with Ryan Air for Santiago de Compostela - 34 English pounds (about 45 Euros).

The easiest way to get to Sarria, I thought, was by train (very cheap about 15 Euro I think). There is a bus, from the airport to the bus station that then goes onto the train station. So very easy to get to the bus and the train station from the airport.

The only problem was that the train I caught in the afternoon got me into Sarria mid-evening and I had no idea where to go but just head straight up the road that heads into town from the train station. Keep going until you can see a large church up on a hill to your right. Head up to the church and if you stand with your back to the church door you will see a street directly ahead of you. On the right hand corner of the start of that street, just after the piazza in front of the church, is a hostel (you wouldn't know this by looking at it). It's also a small bar serving wine, beer, and pre-made bread rolls with meat or vegetables into. 10 Euros for the night. The next morning turn right out of the front door keep walking and you'll see the first yellow arrow showing you the route to Santiago.

When I finished the Camino I went to the airport to get a flight back - Veuling wanted to charge me 500 Euros! So I travelled to Santander to catch a ferry back to the UK.

To get to Santander try this: bus (Compostela to Ferrol), train (Ferrol to Aviedo), and bus (Aviedo to Santander). I ended up heading for the airport in Santander as the ferry didn't go on a Sunday (the day I arrived) and caught a RyanAir flight back to Stansted (200 Euros) - still a rip-off given the cost to get to Santiago but a lot cheaper than Veuling.

NOTE: The train trip from Ferrol to Aviedo is worth the trip. There are 105 stations over 400 kms and we stopped at most of them. I think this may be a record for frequency of stops on any train in the world.
Yes, vueling is often quiet expensive. Flights to stansted also go from Oviedo with easy jet. .Still it was an adventure. Even booking the day before can be beneficial. We once got a flight from Vigo which is not too far from Santiago with Vueling to Heathrow which was not too expensive. Best wishes Annette

For those who want to catch the ferry in Santander be aware that it is not only Wednesday only for the trip to Plymouth, or Monday to Portsmouth, but it is also seasonal. Next ferry is in March to Plymouth! I think that the Portsmouth ferry runs a limited service all year.
We love that train journey from Ferrol to Oviedo and also on to Santander.
Gun shots in Santander :eek: what was going on?.......

It was very early in the morning when I got to Santander and I headed to the Port building just to make sure that was where the ferries left from. I saw the name of the company, 'Brittany Ferries' on the window and knew I was right where I should be when the office opened in the morning but I was really tired so walked around the building looking for somewhere I could get some sleep.

Around the back, in a small cul-de-sac, I found some tables and plastic chairs so I grabbed a couple of the chairs and pushed myself into a corner so I had could rest my head on the wall, plunked by butt down onto one of the chairs and put my feet up on the seat of the other one. I knew I wouldn't get any sleep but at least I could rest and relax.

About 15 minutes later I heard a pistol discharge but I wasn't absolutely sure because I was resting so deeply. A few minutes later I heard another shot. That woke me up!

There was a low wall that allowed me to keep my head down and peer out over the street and in the direction the shot came from. I couldn't see anything. So I though I must be mistaken. Be aware that I know what a gunshot sounds like rifle or pistol and these were shots from a pistol.

I decided to just bunk down again which I did.

About 2 minutes later I realised I was being a fool as I was in this cul-de-sac and if anything happened I be in serious trouble. So I grabbed my backpacks (small day pack and larger backpack) and headed, at full speed, back to the bus station where I discovered there wasn't going to be a ferry to the UK that morning anyway. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back