• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English Guide for Camino Norte and Primitive routes

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That guide was written in 2011 and I don't see an update.

The Norte and Primitivo have undergone many major changes in the last few years and is still changing due to its increased popularity as an alternative to the CF.

The guide may be very outdated. I chose not to use it last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Cicerone guide worked for me last year.

If you can make it through the Camino with whatever Spanish you speak, what about the Editoriales Buen Camino guide, in its 6th edition in May of 2014?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I printed the guide off from euskadi.eus. I wasn't a fan of the Cicerone guide, a bit bulky/heavy with more information than I personally cared for. When I walked the Frances I used the Map only book from Brierley as all I'm particularly interested in is approximate distances between destinations and elevations. So the euskadi guide should be perfect.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've downloaded the guide from euskadi.eus and whilst it is very good for a free guide I'm not sure if it is enough in itself. Having done the Camino Frances with the Brierley book and knowing that the Camino del Norte isn't as well marked I've ordered the Cicerone guide.

Can anyone tell me the name and the author or where to get this book which this picture of itView attachment 18285 was posted in a blog.
That is not really a guide. It does not have accommodation info.
It is a good overview of the trail and highlights of the various towns along the route. If you can get an accommodation list from elsewhere you can manage it. I relied on the cicerone guide and used this overview for elevation profiles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For the primitivo, I have pulled together stuff from the web, the cicerone guide, the CSJ guide and miscellaneous locations. its in the resource section of the forum. I'm on my ipad so I can't give you a link. If you want a word version, private message me and i'll email it to you. Liz

Can anyone tell me the name and the author or where to get this book which this picture of itView attachment 18285 was posted in a blog.

jlfrog:

If you are bringing an iPad or iPhone you can use either gronze.com or the Eroski online guides. They are both very good and typically more update than paper back guides.

Ultreya,
Joe

You can find that guide here:

http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/informacion/x65_folletos/en_x65/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

I think the tourist offices along the Norte made them available, too.

Mark! I am doing the Camino for the first time this year starting the last week in May. I am looking at beginning on the North way in Irun and traveling to Oviedo at which point my companion and I would take a bus to Leon and finish on the French way. I am wondering if you have an idea of what a good timeline might be for that portion of the trip. I have looked at the book that is a guide to the northern ways, but it doesn't give a timeline at all, and I need to know roughly how long it will take as I only have 35 days to complete the trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Holly :]

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much , I have the Cicerone guide so I'll use that. The Euskdi just seemed easier to read and has the elevations. Too bad it's not up to date. I appreciate all of your input. We will be starting in Irun on June 1.
I wouldn't worry too much about guidebook elevations. They are usually mere representations of an "as the crow flies" line and not true reflections of the inclines you may encounter. And that hill will still be as high as its ever been whether you have contemplated it or not. The first few will be shorter and less steep than anticipated, the one before your anticipated lunch-stop much steeper and longer than described. Those thereafter will vary depending on your lunch, your hopes and your needs.

Buen Camino

Mark! I am doing the Camino for the first time this year starting the last week in May. I am looking at beginning on the North way in Irun and traveling to Oviedo at which point my companion and I would take a bus to Leon and finish on the French way. I am wondering if you have an idea of what a good timeline might be for that portion of the trip. I have looked at the book that is a guide to the northern ways, but it doesn't give a timeline at all, and I need to know roughly how long it will take as I only have 35 days to complete the trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Holly, just take a look at the Eroski site to start with. It has you walk for 20 days until you have to decide to head to Oviedo or to keep going along the coast. If heading towards Oviedo it's two more days.

Editorial Buen Camino has you in Oviedo in 19 days. Cicerone in has you at the Primitivo split on day 18, in Oviedo 2 days later. Hope this helps. But what I would suggest is that you buy a good guide and figure out what albergues will be open on your route and that time of the year and figure out what distances you feel you can walk in a day (because on CdN many albergues are only open in June, July and August).

As for Leon to Santiago, figure, again, looking at Eroski, some 13 days, give or take. So 20 or so plus 13 or so = 33 or so. With flying in and out, if that is part of the 35 days you have you may have to start in San Sebastian for example, or make a few longer ways, or skip an etapa here and there. Because these 33 days do not include a single day of rest.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holly:

If you look at the guides gronze.com, Eroski or Cicerone, they lay out proposed etapas/stages. You do not have to follow. I think 35 days will be plenty of time for the planned trip you have outlined above.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Holly
I did what you intend last year and arrived in Oviedo on day 20 from Irun that included two rest days( Bilbao and San Vicente) rest day in Oviedo then bus to Leon,another rest day there and arrived in Santiago on day 36 . You should be ok with less days off.
Heather

I just arrived at Bilboa airport and enquired about the guide at the tourist information desk at the airport and was handed a free copy. It's 2nd edition 2012 along with a 2012/2013 albergue guide :)

Hi Holly! Sorry for not responding sooner! I just don't sign in that often. But it looks like you had lots of help here anyway, and that timelines sound fine to me, too, though not much tarrying time (and Finisterre/Muxia will have to wait for another camino).

For what it's worth, when you're walking the Norte, consider taking the GR routes occasionally. Also, I really liked the Primitivo...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back