• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English guide to Camino Lebaniego Castellano

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Everyone,

I am planning a Camino walk for later this year (depending on Covid 19 travel restrictions at that time). I have a Spanish guide to this Camino but have not been able to find an English guide. So before I start translating the guide which would be good practise for a trip to Spain I was wondering if anyone had any links to an English guide?

Many thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everyone,

I am planning a Camino walk for later this year (depending on Covid 19 travel restrictions at that time). I have a Spanish guide to this Camino but have not been able to find an English guide. So before I start translating the guide which would be good practise for a trip to Spain I was wondering if anyone had any links to an English guide?

Many thanks
Welcome to the Forum,

Here is a link to several Camino Lebaniego posts including guides which may help you.

Happy research and eventual Buen camino.

Hi! Is there a guide to the Castellano-Lebaniego? I understand you are talking about the one from Palencia to Santo Toribio, is that right? It must be some interesting route, indeed!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All,

Thanks for all your responses. @amanico yes this is the one from Palencia to Santo Toribio. I have a Spanish guide to the Camino but I think I have found some resources in English on the Palencia Tourist Website and another website.

This link shows where to obtain the credencials for this Camino - https://www.diputaciondepalencia.es/sitio/turismo/rutas-culturales/ruta-camino-lebaniego

This is the link to the Palencia tourism website -

These links are both in Spanish but I have seen English speaking links so will have to go and find them again.

Thanks Charlotte and Laurie! I am collecting Camino information to dream about more and more caminos. Imagine Ruta de la Lana to Burgos, then Francés to Frómista, and then North to Potes and to the coast, that would be a dream, coast to coast, just below 40 days, I wish... The URL Charlotte suggests is probably more up to date than the other link included in the post Laurie recommends.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK so in the middle of last year when LesBrass had this thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-lebaniego.67984/
and was staying in an apartment south of Potes, this matter arose
I was surprised to see Camino markers along the road to this village. We're not on the traditional route although the lady of the house says this is an alternative? We're in a village called Lomeña... a few kms from Potes... any Camino Lebaniego experts out there who can tell us about this alternative? All the maps and literature have been removed so she couldn't show us.

I've now found that Wikipedia has extensive information about this Castellano camino (subject to usual wikipedia caveats) but it does idenitify Lomeña as on the route just before Potes. So I'm glad that's now cleared up!
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_Lebaniego_Castellano
PS apologies if this was actually resolved at the time and I missed it - and I was subsequently the only one unable to sleep night after night... 🥱

Thanks for all your help I have looked at the wikipedia pages on the Castellano Camino, so with fingers crossed that travel restrictions have been lifted and we are allowed to travel this year my husband and I are planning to do this walk. With time constraints and reliance on public transport we will probably cover the section from Fromista to Potes. Will be planning the stages and translating my Spanish guide as the months go by. Will post up our stages and accommodation info when they are ready.

@peregrino_tom - the link you sent is the Camino Lebaniego which runs from the north coast and travels south to Potes. We are hoping to do the Camino Lebaniego Castellano which starts in Palencia and travels north to Potes and the monastery. It crosses the Frances at Fromista and the Olvidao and also meets the Ruta Vadinese at Potes. So for those with more time you could link several Caminos into one huge meandering Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@peregrino_tom - the link you sent is the Camino Lebaniego which runs from the north coast and travels south to Potes. We are hoping to do the Camino Lebaniego Castellano which starts in Palencia and travels north to Potes and the monastery. It crosses the Frances at Fromista and the Olvidao and also meets the Ruta Vadinese at Potes. So for those with more time you could link several Caminos into one huge meandering Camino.
Hi Charlotte- sorry I didn't make myself completely clear. When LesBrass walking the Lebaniego she was returning each day to her accommodation in a village just south of Potes. In the thread (the first one I posted) she mentions that the village has camino signs, but no-one was quite sure which camino it was on, as it was south of Potes, some way from the standard Lebaniego. So, having delved into the Lebaniego Castellano as a result of your thread, I found the village listed on the LC wikipedia page and so was expressing my relief that the mystery from last year was finally solved!
Cheers, tom

Here are two sites that make mention of the Castellano-Lebaniego. They also mention the Canal de Castilla which you would have walked along if you had passed through Medina del Rioseco on the Camino de Madrid. Now there's an idea - follow the canal to Palencia? Nice and flat.

Last edited:
They also mention the Canal de Castilla which you would have walked along if you had passed through Medina del Rioseco on the Camino de Madrid. Now there's an idea - follow the canal to Palencia? Nice and flat.
@biarritzdon tried something like that once:
I tried to walk the Canal last year but alas it is not ready to service pilgrims the entire length from Medina to Fromista and join the CF from there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here are two sites that make mention of the Castellano-Lebaniego. They also mention the Canal de Castilla which you would have walked along if you had passed through Medina del Rioseco on the Camino de Madrid. Now there's an idea - follow the canal to Palencia? Nice and flat.

There is a map for the route from Madrid as you described and another variant both going to Santo Toribio. Look at the section labelled 'Caminos que se incorporan en su recorrido'

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back