A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

English guide to the Camino Inverno.

dedubya

Just received my new guide for the Inverno through Casa Ivor. Here is my initial review.
The good: it is beautifully bound, very well written and translated. I the detail about the route and it's history are fascinating. The author and translator are to be congratulated.
The cons: as a four time pilgrim, the book is to heavy. Brierley's guide for the Francais is several oz lighter. Also, the book contains no accommodation information. Finally, the maps leave much to be desired.
I will read and enjoy it, but will not go with me.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just received my new guide for the Inverno through Casa Ivor. Here is my initial review.
The good: it is beautifully bound, very well written and translated. I the detail about the route and it's history are fascinating. The author and translator are to be congratulated.
The cons: as a four time pilgrim, the book is to heavy. Brierley's guide for the Francais is several oz lighter. Also, the book contains no accommodation information. Finally, the maps leave much to be desired.
I will read and enjoy it, but will not go with me.
Hi, dedubya,
Not sure when you are going, but I am just a few hours away from having the final revisions done to the forum Invierno guide. The 2018 version is in the Resources section, and the 2019 will replace it as soon as I can get the time I need to pull a few last minute things together!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances from Astorga (2018)
Frances/Invierno from SJPP (2019)
Hi, dedubya,
Not sure when you are going, but I am just a few hours away from having the final revisions done to the forum Invierno guide. The 2018 version is in the Resources section, and the 2019 will replace it as soon as I can get the time I need to pull a few last minute things together!
Yay looking forward to the updated version!
🙏

dedubya

We leave Bayonne March 28, so we should be in Ponferrada mid May Will your guide be in print or ebook format.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Piamonte
Aragones
Elizabethpfad
Hi P2000,

I also am considering the Inverno for May. I noticed that the 2018 book weighed 300g, which is not insignificant. Will the 2019 edition be lighter, and as hinted above, will it contain accommodation information? Or do we rely on Gronze for that?

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Piamonte
Aragones
Elizabethpfad
I'm looking at the 2017/2018 version right now and it has plenty of accommodation.
Then something doesn't add-up, since a previous comment indicated no accommodation information, which prompted my questions. I shall just have to wait until the 2019 version is published and then get the definitive answer.

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Camino(s) past & future
Via Francigena (2017,2018)
Via Turonensis (Paris-Chartres,2018)
Camino de Invierno (Dec2018/Jan2019)
Then something doesn't add-up, since a previous comment indicated no accommodation information, which prompted my questions. I shall just have to wait until the 2019 version is published and then get the definitive answer.
I'll venture to clarify this issue: @dedubya speaks of a printed book, and @peregrina2000, of the forum guide which is updated yearly and published on this forum as a pdf file. The forum guide has an extensive list of accommodations along the Invierno - it includes most, if not all, accommodations!

Margaret Butterworth

Camino(s) past & future
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I have just received the printed book. As was stated, it is heavy but most useful for the historical information and photos. I plan to use it in conjunction with the forum's own PDF guide.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The name Inverno is almost correct because only Ponferrada is outside of the Galician language area.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
I'll venture to clarify this issue: @dedubya speaks of a printed book, and @peregrina2000, of the forum guide which is updated yearly and published on this forum as a pdf file. The forum guide has an extensive list of accommodations along the Invierno - it includes most, if not all, accommodations!
But, you can download the Forum Resource file and save it as a .pdf on your smartphone. Alternatively, you could print it out. I have on occasion printed guides and taken them to my local big box office supply store.

There, they offer common office services, such a inserting a continuous spiral binding with plastic covers. The cost has been very reasonable, about USD 6 for the typical CSJ or Forum Camino guide. This should be doable wherever you live, assuming you have these sort of places. Absent a huge office superstore, try a multi-service shipping shop, like UPS or Fedex. I have even seen binding machines in city-based office supply stores.

This makes the resulting booklet something like half a US letter size, or half an A4 sheet of paper. I suppose this is more convenient to carry. Plus, the spiral binding facilitates disposing (PROPERLY) of pages you no longer need, to shave weight, if that is your style.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi P2000,

I also am considering the Inverno for May. I noticed that the 2018 book weighed 300g, which is not insignificant. Will the 2019 edition be lighter, and as hinted above, will it contain accommodation information? Or do we rely on Gronze for that?
Hi, Karl,
Athena and others are right, there is a professional puslished guide in English available for sale in Ivar’s store, and the forum guide. Here is the link to the forum guide, which can be downloaded. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/
It has all the information our forum members have managed to collect, and I think it is one great little guide. We are not in the guide business, so it is not a professional guide, nor does it have pictures, but it has about 45 pages of compact information that, IMO, is all you need to walk the Invierno.

And here is the inevitable plug — this guide relies on forum members to stay up to date— at least ten contributed to the 2019 version, which is almost ready for posting!! So if you use it, pay it back, please!

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
No need to carry a heavy guidebook!
You will manage well with the forumguide and the route is well marked.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Piamonte
Aragones
Elizabethpfad
Hi, Karl,
Athena and others are right, there is a professional puslished guide in English available for sale in Ivar’s store, and the forum guide. Here is the link to the forum guide, which can be downloaded. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/
It has all the information our forum members have managed to collect, and I think it is one great little guide. We are not in the guide business, so it is not a professional guide, nor does it have pictures, but it has about 45 pages of compact information that, IMO, is all you need to walk the Invierno.

And here is the inevitable plug — this guide relies on forum members to stay up to date— at least ten contributed to the 2019 version, which is almost ready for posting!! So if you use it, pay it back, please!
And I shall do exactly that! Thank you.

vinsman

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Frances 2014
Camino del Norté 2016/2017
Via de la Plata 2015/2018
Thank you Laurie for your dedicated work on the Invierno guide. I hope to walk it in early April. Starting in Pamplona March 15th.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Forum guide for 2019 is done, with a correction just added yesterday to let you know that the Restaurante Azoza in Quiroga is closed all day Sunday. But from Robin and John who are walking now and were disappointed to arrive in Quiroga on a Sunday, they say the Bar Chapakuña is a great substitute.

If anyone needs it in the next few days, PM me, otherwise I am going to ask Ivar to post it in Resources (since I cannot figure out how to do that myself) and then it will be available for all to download!

One thing I have noted that we need is more information on fountains. Some people really rely on them to fill up their water bottles. I know we have mention of a few, but surely not all. In someways it is not as much of a problem as it would be on other caminos because residents are uniformly happy to fill your bottle (and chat with you), but still it would be nice to have a complete list for those who drink a lot.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ok, forum guide to the Invierno 2019 is posted. There are not huge changes, but enough to have made it worth doing. I keep thinking that there will be some “real guides” published that will make this obsolete, but that hasn’t happened yet, so let’s keep it going. I file away notes and comments whenever I receive them, so let the 2020 revisions begin!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%