Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English guide to the Camino Inverno.

dedubya

Just received my new guide for the Inverno through Casa Ivor. Here is my initial review.
The good: it is beautifully bound, very well written and translated. I the detail about the route and it's history are fascinating. The author and translator are to be congratulated.
The cons: as a four time pilgrim, the book is to heavy. Brierley's guide for the Francais is several oz lighter. Also, the book contains no accommodation information. Finally, the maps leave much to be desired.
I will read and enjoy it, but will not go with me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just received my new guide for the Inverno through Casa Ivor. Here is my initial review.
The good: it is beautifully bound, very well written and translated. I the detail about the route and it's history are fascinating. The author and translator are to be congratulated.
The cons: as a four time pilgrim, the book is to heavy. Brierley's guide for the Francais is several oz lighter. Also, the book contains no accommodation information. Finally, the maps leave much to be desired.
I will read and enjoy it, but will not go with me.

Hi, dedubya,
Not sure when you are going, but I am just a few hours away from having the final revisions done to the forum Invierno guide. The 2018 version is in the Resources section, and the 2019 will replace it as soon as I can get the time I need to pull a few last minute things together!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, dedubya,
Not sure when you are going, but I am just a few hours away from having the final revisions done to the forum Invierno guide. The 2018 version is in the Resources section, and the 2019 will replace it as soon as I can get the time I need to pull a few last minute things together!

Yay looking forward to the updated version!
🙏

Hi P2000,

I also am considering the Inverno for May. I noticed that the 2018 book weighed 300g, which is not insignificant. Will the 2019 edition be lighter, and as hinted above, will it contain accommodation information? Or do we rely on Gronze for that?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm looking at the 2017/2018 version right now and it has plenty of accommodation.
Then something doesn't add-up, since a previous comment indicated no accommodation information, which prompted my questions. I shall just have to wait until the 2019 version is published and then get the definitive answer.

Then something doesn't add-up, since a previous comment indicated no accommodation information, which prompted my questions. I shall just have to wait until the 2019 version is published and then get the definitive answer.
I'll venture to clarify this issue: @dedubya speaks of a printed book, and @peregrina2000, of the forum guide which is updated yearly and published on this forum as a pdf file. The forum guide has an extensive list of accommodations along the Invierno - it includes most, if not all, accommodations!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just received the printed book. As was stated, it is heavy but most useful for the historical information and photos. I plan to use it in conjunction with the forum's own PDF guide.

I'll venture to clarify this issue: @dedubya speaks of a printed book, and @peregrina2000, of the forum guide which is updated yearly and published on this forum as a pdf file. The forum guide has an extensive list of accommodations along the Invierno - it includes most, if not all, accommodations!

But, you can download the Forum Resource file and save it as a .pdf on your smartphone. Alternatively, you could print it out. I have on occasion printed guides and taken them to my local big box office supply store.

There, they offer common office services, such a inserting a continuous spiral binding with plastic covers. The cost has been very reasonable, about USD 6 for the typical CSJ or Forum Camino guide. This should be doable wherever you live, assuming you have these sort of places. Absent a huge office superstore, try a multi-service shipping shop, like UPS or Fedex. I have even seen binding machines in city-based office supply stores.

This makes the resulting booklet something like half a US letter size, or half an A4 sheet of paper. I suppose this is more convenient to carry. Plus, the spiral binding facilitates disposing (PROPERLY) of pages you no longer need, to shave weight, if that is your style.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi P2000,

I also am considering the Inverno for May. I noticed that the 2018 book weighed 300g, which is not insignificant. Will the 2019 edition be lighter, and as hinted above, will it contain accommodation information? Or do we rely on Gronze for that?

Hi, Karl,
Athena and others are right, there is a professional puslished guide in English available for sale in Ivar’s store, and the forum guide. Here is the link to the forum guide, which can be downloaded. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/
It has all the information our forum members have managed to collect, and I think it is one great little guide. We are not in the guide business, so it is not a professional guide, nor does it have pictures, but it has about 45 pages of compact information that, IMO, is all you need to walk the Invierno.

And here is the inevitable plug — this guide relies on forum members to stay up to date— at least ten contributed to the 2019 version, which is almost ready for posting!! So if you use it, pay it back, please!

No need to carry a heavy guidebook!
You will manage well with the forumguide and the route is well marked.

Hi, Karl,
Athena and others are right, there is a professional puslished guide in English available for sale in Ivar’s store, and the forum guide. Here is the link to the forum guide, which can be downloaded. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/
It has all the information our forum members have managed to collect, and I think it is one great little guide. We are not in the guide business, so it is not a professional guide, nor does it have pictures, but it has about 45 pages of compact information that, IMO, is all you need to walk the Invierno.

And here is the inevitable plug — this guide relies on forum members to stay up to date— at least ten contributed to the 2019 version, which is almost ready for posting!! So if you use it, pay it back, please!
And I shall do exactly that! Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Laurie for your dedicated work on the Invierno guide. I hope to walk it in early April. Starting in Pamplona March 15th.

Forum guide for 2019 is done, with a correction just added yesterday to let you know that the Restaurante Azoza in Quiroga is closed all day Sunday. But from Robin and John who are walking now and were disappointed to arrive in Quiroga on a Sunday, they say the Bar Chapakuña is a great substitute.

If anyone needs it in the next few days, PM me, otherwise I am going to ask Ivar to post it in Resources (since I cannot figure out how to do that myself) and then it will be available for all to download!

One thing I have noted that we need is more information on fountains. Some people really rely on them to fill up their water bottles. I know we have mention of a few, but surely not all. In someways it is not as much of a problem as it would be on other caminos because residents are uniformly happy to fill your bottle (and chat with you), but still it would be nice to have a complete list for those who drink a lot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, forum guide to the Invierno 2019 is posted. There are not huge changes, but enough to have made it worth doing. I keep thinking that there will be some “real guides” published that will make this obsolete, but that hasn’t happened yet, so let’s keep it going. I file away notes and comments whenever I receive them, so let the 2020 revisions begin!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

By way of the final update Asun's Association "Amigos do Camiño de Santiago por Valdeorras" finally published in late Summer the fifth edition in spanish of their excellent guidebook of the Winter Way together with the English version (a second edition will be coming out in future as the print run is limited). See link http://caminodeinvierno.es/. I won't comment as to who has published the best Guide or whether a pilgrim should have a guidebook on them or not..that's for each pilgrim to decide for themselves. As for Asun (she appreciates the interest ) she's really busy now caring for a mother and is in fact looking for someone to succeed her as President.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back