• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English guidebook for the Italian part of Via Francigena

earnrunner

Hi,
I'm considering to walk from Milan (or a bit more North) to Rome this August, which should take 3-4 weeks. I'm looking for a good guidebook in English for this segment.
Any other tips on accommodation, path-finding, maps or anything else is highly favored

Thanks
Eran

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Re: English guidebook for the Italin part of Via Francigena

Eran,

Check out the many various publications listed in this earlier Forum thread. >> long-distance-pilgrims/topic9771.html
There is a wealth of information cited including blogs by other Forum members.

Happy reading and good luck with your plans,

Margaret Meredith

Dear Margaret,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have read this thread prior to posting my message, and was hoping to get some updates since it is from 2010. Particularly, I was wondering:
1. Is the "LightFoot Guide to the via Francigena" (2008) is still the best choice in English?
2. Is there any specific up to date blog (except for Cristina) that covers the route?

Thanks!!
Eran

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Eran,

Sorry, I should have assumed that you would have read the thread!

For accounts or blogs post 2010 have you read Brian Mooney?
Check out his A Long Way for a Pizza- On Foot to Rome published 2012.

What about Googling the two terms Via Francigena and blog ? Perhaps something else more recent might appear.

Good luck,

Margaret Meredith

Brian's story is a novel while I'm looking for the good old guidebook with maps, route description and accommodation list.
BTW, how many people are walking the Via Francigena these days? How many people have you met on the road?

eranrunner said:
BTW, how many people are walking the Via Francigena these days? How many people have you met on the road?

More than you might think. I walked Canterbury Rome in 2011 and met no other pilgrims before St Bernard,s Pass. No more than 20 the whole way. But this is deceptive. Last year I walked Rome to Sarzana and met pilgrims every day, I even met a guided group.

The only guides I am aware of in English are the Lightfoot guide and Alison Raju's . I would recommend the Atti maps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

mspath said:
Eran,

Sorry, I should have assumed that you would have read the thread!

For accounts or blogs post 2010 have you read Brian Mooney?
Check out his A Long Way for a Pizza- On Foot to Rome published 2012.

What about Googling the two terms Via Francigena and blog ? Perhaps something else more recent might appear.

Good luck,

Margaret Meredith

You can also check out An Italian Odyssey for a personal account of walking the Via Francigena from Switzerland to Rome.

Hi eranrunner
Paul Chin's book is good , I used for Sienna to Rome get the "Vercelli to Rome" edition, check
Amazon

My friend and I start from Fidenza Sept 9th see you out there :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

“Guida alla Via Francigena” di Monica
D’Atti e Franco Cinti, IV edizione, Terre di
Mezzo Editore, Milano, 2012
e riprodotto nella edizione cartografica in
scala 1:30.000, con indicazioni e
informazioni integralmente bilingue
inglese/italiano:

I was reading something else when I saw that.

If you don't read Italian the book is supposedly in both Italian and English. Boh. No idea on the quality.

For the Milan to Rome section I would say the Paul Chin guide is still your best bet. Alison Raju's Cicerone guide is not due out until after this summer. I have the Pisoni and D'Atti guides and would not use them in preference to the Chin one.

This is another blog which covers your section http://www.walkingwithawareness.com/romevf1.htm

See also this post below long-distance-pilgrims/topic18720.html

Joining the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome s a good idea (but I would say that) and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/via-francigena/.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked Besancon to Rome in October and November 2010- and only met 2 other pilgrims all the way. When we signed the book at St Peter's, only a bit more than 2,000 pilgrims had signed it in the previous 10 years. It is ramping up quickly, apparently. You might find my ebook, The Italian Camino by Maggie Ramsay useful - the Amazon link is: amzn.to/17Ks6Cb.
It makes me want to do the walk all over again, just thinking about it. Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back