• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English in Galicia

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I just read something interesting this morning in La Voz de Galicia (local paper) regarding the knowledge of English i Galicia. To make a long article short....

... 3% of people in Galicia speak English fluently.

... 65% of people in Galicia do not even know one word of English.

When that it said, Galician people are known for being very friendly and willing to help if they meet someone is trying to communicate with them and they do not speak a common language.

Anyway, I found this statistic interesting and I have to say that I think it sounds right. This is coming from one that moved to Santiago without knowing much Spanish... :)

Un saludo,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ivar;

That statistic is probably right. I had a hard time 3 1/2 years ago when I arrived at A Coroña to join the oil spill response operation after the Prestige accident. I did, however, experience that the people were extremely helpful and WANTED me to understand and to understand me. This is also my experience from my recent walk through Navarra (and part of Rioja). (Especially in small villages).

Great web page, by the way!

Ha en fin kveld!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sure that you can get by without Spanish in Galicia but having a working knowledge does make it more fun. About a week ago, being able to chat led to lots of free drinks and a lesson on playing the Gaita (bagpipes). Walking the next day with a hangover was not so much fun.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back