• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English-Language App Guide to the VDLP Now Complete!

mmm042

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
Just under a year after my trail guide to the VDLP was first available as a Sevilla-to-Merida guide, it's now completed through Santiago. Anyone who's purchased the app will get the update completing the guide free. You can read about it here at: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/via-de-l ... 71301?mt=8

Right now the app is just for iPhones, iPads and iTouches, but I'm signed up to be an early Droid tester, and Sutro Media (the developer) hopes to have that up and going sometime in the new year -- so stay tuned if you're interested in the VDLP app but have a Droid.

The guide has +350 entries and +3,300 photos covering the trail segments, tricky spots, towns along the routes, restaurants and lodging. There are also maps that are scrollable offline. Hopefully pilgrims will use the Comment section liberally so we can keep each other instantly updated on any changes along the way (although I'll go back regularly to update it).

Interesting side note -- I'm a writer by profession, and at this year's national meeting of the Society of American Travel Writers last month, our keynote speaker kicked off his speech with an anecdote about walking the Camino Francés! Pretty amazing, since so many Americans know little to nothing about the Camino, let alone have walked it.

Thanks to those on this list who helped me with my app, whether it was to supply photos when mine were full of ugly, rainy shots, to help me find lodging, etc.

Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mini-Review

Until a real review comes along from someone who is using the app while actually walking, I will make a first effort. I bought the application for a modest $2.99 for my iPhone 3G. Since it is said that Americans each lose about $40 change a year from their pockets and purses, that is a very modest price.

It looks like a very useful tool. It is a large enough file that my T-Mobile 3G data chip directed me to WiFi or iTunes for the download. WiFi was taking forever, so I went to iTunes on my computer, and the download was effortless. It seems comprehensive. That will be proven when users match the data to their location, but as the app says, it is a work in progress that asks for user input. I plan to put it to use sometime. In the meantime, I am having fun vicariously surfing the Via de la Plata.

Some apps reside entirely on the iPhone, and some interact wirelessly as you use them. I cannot tell what this app is doing since I am always in range of WiFi or T-Mobile. I think it is entirely on the phone. If not, then parts may require WiFi or a phone data service to provide information at times while in Spain. Perhaps mmm042 can answer this question.

My crystal ball tells me that John Brierley will completely lose his market share if he does not do a similar app for the Camino Frances. Even library lovers can see that paper is passe. Even a Kindle version will be using old technology. The CSJ, too, should note that their guides will become obsolete as they are replaced by apps. To protect their revenue source, they should be moving past the website business into the technology of the future. Is anyone still using their Radio Shack TRS-80 computer? It once dominated the home computer market. No one wanted my 8-track tapes in the last garage sale either. Evolve or go extinct.

I bought it also a few months back.
My only question/concern are the roaming charges out in the middle of nowhere, and if you'll even be able to get an internet connection. :shock:
Otherwise, looks quite useful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie:
I had an Orange Spanish SIM card that I bought for E5 in Sevilla and a plan for E3.5/week,, that gave me unlimited data and internet. The only place I did not have reception on the VdlP was a few spots in Galicia in the mountains and that was only for a short time. I used it for emailing all and sundry back home, which was lovely. Any app, then, is readily accessible.

Sue

Falcon, can you (or someone) tell me how this works?
I've never carried a phone in Spain.

How do I get my iPhone unlocked (whatever that means)?
And if I put this sim card in my phone, are you telling me I can use my own phone in Spain just like I use it here?

The ad says:
s 1 € of credit
Default rate XS 8 (what does this mean?)
8 cent/min & sms (what is sms?)

(You can change it toll-free at 123)
Internet is 3,5€ by week!!! sending a SMS to 22521 writing " TPTARJETA"

What is sending a SMS. Does this mean I get internet access for 14 Euro/month?

Do I get charged when people call me from the US and leave messages if I do not answer?
Can I use it for internet access for the same fee as phone calls?
How do I pay the bill?

Sorry, I just haven't done this before.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SMS is a text message.

Maybe Falcon can explain the charges as it appears he has used the Vodaphone data card in the past.
The actual phone charges from Vodaphone would also be interesting.

Annie..Unlocked means that the phone has been "unlocked" from your carrier only.
When you sign up for service (in the U.S.) and received a subsidized phone..it is "locked" for use with that carrier only.
It can be unlocked a couple of different ways. Once unlocked it can be used with other carriers including those in Europe. Some phones will not work with carriers in Europe.
Tell us what carrier you have, how long you have had the phone and what brand and model you have. Maybe we can help get it unlocked.

For cell phone service, buy something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-RAZR-V ... 45ff1dba86

When you get to Spain, buy a SIM chip, and away you go.

For a smartphone (mine is an unlocked iPhone), get the data chip, and you will have internet whenever you have a signal. The charge seems to be 3.5E per week, but I have not purchased a chip yet. I had planned to do so, but I arrived on a Saturday, and everything was closed until Monday. It was all villages until the following week, and I was in Ponferrada before anything opened. After that, it seemed like too much trouble, since there was enough WiFi to satisfy my internet requirements. Vodafone voice service has been quite satisfactory in the past. If you do not use the number for 9 months, you become inactive. After 1 year, you lose your phone number. Adding time extends both.

At 325 MB this app is huge! I assume that all the photos and directions are already build in so you probably don't need to incur additional charges for data.

I've already walk the VDLP but it would be really nice if there is a similar app for the Camino Norte.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not happy with this. Why? Maybe I exaggerate, but I'm scared that Camino Way will loose theirs soul. It will be follow by strange people who don't take care of the way marks, the other people, especially locals. Why? Because they will know all about the way from their devices, no backpacks, the luggage will follow them in the camino taxi, and accommodation with double bed and swim-pool outside. I saw that kind of walkers now. The most important thing it was a phone with gps or something. They walk all time checking their way in it. It looks like sleepwalking. :cry:
I wouldn't give offence to somebody. But if you are feeling offended - please accept my apology.

I'm scared that Camino Way will loose theirs soul. It will be follow by strange people who don't take care of the way marks, the other people, especially locals. Why? Because they will know all about the way from their devices, no backpacks, the luggage will follow them in the camino taxi, and accommodation with double bed and swim-pool outside. I saw that kind of walkers now.
Worrying about how others will do their camino is the most futile action I can think of at the moment.

"Cultivate your own garden." Voltaire

I have an iPhone and my service is with AT&T.
I think mine is an iPhone 3? I've had it a couple of years.
Right now I have an unlimited internet plan that came as a special with the phone so I don't want to turn it off.. .maybe I should purchase a different phone for the few months I'll be in Europe?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
to Falcon 269:
"Cultivate your own garden." Voltaire
It wasn't Voltaire, perhaps You.
Voltaire's Candide has said : ) " We must cultivate OUR garden"
but you're right , it is a futile effort. Sorry again, I will cultivate mine garden. 8)

I'm not happy with this. Why? Maybe I exaggerate, but I'm scared that Camino Way will loose theirs soul. It will be follow by strange people who don't take care of the way marks, the other people, especially locals. Why? Because they will know all about the way from their devices, no backpacks, the luggage will follow them in the camino taxi, and accommodation with double bed and swim-pool outside. I saw that kind of walkers now. The most important thing it was a phone with gps or something. They walk all time checking their way in it. It looks like sleepwalking. :cry:
I wouldn't give offence to somebody. But if you are feeling offended - please accept my apology.

Woa! No need to take it out on tourgrims, taxigrims and holidaygrims. These people have been around ever since the camino started. I think they are called the rich, aristocrats and royalty back in those days. Just focus on one's own camino.

Here we are only talking about a electronic guide to VLDP, similar to a paper guide.

Translating the meaning of a novel involves not just literal word-for-word, but the context of the words, and many inaccurate quotations have become the accepted convention, as in having your cake and eating it too, it being quite necessary to have your cake before you can eat it. More difficult would be eating your cake and having it too.
Je n'ai que vingt arpents, répondit le Turc ; je les cultive avec mes enfants ; le travail éloigne de nous trois grands maux : l'ennui, le vice, et le besoin."

Travaillons sans raisonner, dit Martin ; c'est le seul moyen de rendre la vie supportable.

Toute la petite société entra dans ce louable dessein ; chacun se mit à exercer ses talents. La petite terre rapporta beaucoup. Cunégonde était à la vérité bien laide ; mais elle devint une excellente pâtissière ; Paquette broda; la vieille eut soin du linge. Il n'y eut pas jusqu'à frère Giroflée qui ne rendît service ; il fut un très bon menuisier, et même devint honnête homme ; et Pangloss disait quelquefois à Candide : " Tous les événements sont enchaînés dans le meilleur des mondes possibles ; car enfin, si vous n'aviez pas été chassé d'un beau château à grands coups de pied dans le derrière pour l'amour de Mlle Cunégonde, si vous n'aviez pas été mis à l'Inquisition, si vous n'aviez pas couru l'Amérique à pied, si vous n'aviez pas donné un bon coup d'épée au baron, si vous n'aviez pas perdu tous vos moutons du bon pays d'Eldorado, vous ne mangeriez pas ici des cédrats confits et des pistaches. -- Cela est bien dit, répondit Candide, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin.
Google translates as:
I have only twenty acres, said the Turk, I cultivate with my kids, work away from us three great evils: boredom, vice and need."

Work without reasoning, says Martin, is the only way to make life bearable.

The whole little society entered into this laudable design, and each began to exercise his talents. The small world brought a lot. Cunegonde was indeed very ugly, but she became an excellent pastry; embroidered Paquette, took care of the old machine. There was no up Giroflée brother who does a disservice, and it was a very good carpenter, and became an honest man, and Pangloss sometimes said to Candide: "All events are chained in the best of possible worlds, for Finally, if you had not been driven by a beautiful castle with great kicks in the behind for the love of Miss Cunegonde, if you had not been put to the Inquisition, if you did not America ran on foot, if you did not give a good sword to the baron, had you not lost all your sheep from the good land of Eldorado, you would not eat here candied citron and Pistachio. - This is well said, replied Candide, but let us cultivate our garden.
Voltaire explained the concept in the singular:
En 1773, Voltaire écrit à D’Alembert : « si j’ai encore quelque temps à vivre, je le passerai à cultiver mon jardin comme Candide. J’ai assez vécu comme lui ».
He planned to cultivate his garden as did Candide. The translator can view the garden as collective, but the act of cultivation as individual. Voltaire personally planned an individual act. I have no quarrel with either. The point in both cases is to mind one's own business.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anniesantiago said:
I have an iPhone and my service is with AT&T.
I think mine is an iPhone 3? I've had it a couple of years.
Right now I have an unlimited internet plan that came as a special with the phone so I don't want to turn it off.. .maybe I should purchase a different phone for the few months I'll be in Europe?

Acually, you have one of the few that cannot be easily unlocked...bummer ATT will not unlock iPhones no matter how long you have had it. It is possible to hack an unlock (not illegal) but you have to be pretty savy to do it.
I think you should look into the ebay solution that Falcon posted. Then leave your iPhone home or just take it to access free internet where available. Just be very sure to pull out your ATT SIM while in Spain so that you are not roaming or connecting through the ATT system and racking up huge charges. PM me if you have problems with this.

I bought my iPhone 3G unlocked with Cydia installed on eBay. I use a T-Mobile data/phone chip with unlimited data service for $40 per month. I could install anyone's chip, but I am told that AT&T and Verizon will try to lock your phone with various update and application downloads. I avoid Apple upgrades as they may re-lock the phone, though to which carrier I do not know. Since unlocked iPhones are now available in Europe, I am not sure if they still constantly try to "steal" your phone. It all strikes me as anti-competitive and a violation of the provisions of the Sherman-Clayton antitrust laws, but they all have bigger litigation budgets than I, and the Attorney General works for them! The Vodafone voice chip works fine, and the iPhone WiFi works fine, so I will chance spoiling it all with the Vodafone data chip on my next trip. I view it as adding unnecessary adventure to my life.

The only thing that will re-lock your unlocked iPhone is to update on iTunes with phone connected.
If you do not do this it will not relock..ever. If you do update it will relock to the original carrier from which it was purchased subsidized. That will be ATT in the U.S.

You can use any SIM that is GSM compatible and not affect your phone in any way.
Any other phone but an iPhone can usually be unlocked. All carriers will give you an unlock code after six months.....most will do it sooner than that.
Keep in mind that Sprint and Verizon are not GSM and can't be used in Europe even if unlocked.

But...we digress from the original thread topic. :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To answer Falcon's question, the vast majority of the info in the app resides on the phone once you download it. And that includes everything you need to know when you're actually walking the trail. What you lose if you're not connected to the Internet are any external links to websites.

So, for example, in one of the entries where I talk about how a church's design was influenced by the Knights Templar, I link to a website with an in-depth explanation of who the Knights Templar were so those who are interested can read more about them. The app also has links to all of the places that have websites (restaurants, inns, albergues, points of attraction, etc.), so you couldn't view those unless you had Internet access. But again, this is mainly additional information for those who are curious. Everything you need when you're actually walking should be on there.

One other note -- the Sutro Media developers told me they'll soon be upgrading the maps in all of the apps they produce. Yay! I haven't been that happy with the ones they provided; they aren't as detailed as I'd have preferred. On the other hand, I also think if you're good with maps, you tend to also have a good sense of direction and therefore don't really need them. And if you have a hard time making sense of maps, it's much easier to just read the app's directions and info on the trail.

Melanie

Hey Melanie.
I just wanted to check if the app covers the camino sanabres? I'm really hoping it does as I'm walking in May....

Thanks,
Iain

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi.

Yes, it does! So it covers Sevilla to Zamora and then Granja de Moreruela, where the VDLP and Camino Sanabres split. Then it takes the Sanabres through Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense to Santiago.

There are one or two spots I discovered along the way where you can take one of two routes that meet back up a few towns down; when that occurred, I always covered the "official" Camino. The only exception is around Cea. There's a popular detour there to Oseira and a famous Cistercian monastery, so in that case I covered the official route (which goes from Cea directly to Castro-Dozon) and also the detour up to the monastery.

Are you walking from Granja in May? I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to get back there.

Melanie

Just so I do not get too confused....
I have downloaded the app. I understand that it will be revised and updated as needed.
How do I update what I have?

Thanks so much Melanie - I'll be downloading the app when I get home.....

My friend and I are walking from Puebla de Sanabria in May - which is only 3 months away. Can't wait - and hopefully I won't get lost as I'll have your app......

Iain

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Iain.

Two issues here. First, whenever I update the app, you'll see a little number in a circle (probably a '1' if you just have one app with an available update) next to the "App Store" icon on your phone's main screen. Just tap on it, and it will say there's an update available to your VDLP app, and do you want to download it? You say yes, and it downloads.

Second, the language on iTunes about updates was most pertinent in 2011, when I unveiled the app and it initially just covered Sevilla-Merida. During the year I kept returning to walk more of the route and kept adding to the app, thus updating it. Right now it's complete (it covers Sevilla to Santiago), and will be fine for your May trip. However, I do plan to return in 2012 (and every year) and continually update the guide, so there will periodically be updates to the app. Whenever that happens, you'll see a number next to the App Store icon indicating an update is available.

Two other side notes. You can write a comment on any/every entry in the app. Please use this function! There are lots of entries where I'll note a road is currently under construction, or a new albergue is set to open in 3 months, or there's a temporary detour on this leg; please write a comment if a road is now open, the detour's gone, etc. That will help everyone until I can get back there and formally update it. And certainly if you find a good restaurant that's not in the app, or a place is suddenly closed, etc., feel free to note that as well.

I recently started a Facebook page for the VDLP at http://www.facebook.com/pages/V%C3%ADa- ... 2511909206. Check it out and "like" it. It's a good supplement. I'm posting various tidbits of info about the VDLP, and I hope once it gets going that businesses along the way will post if they have any pilgrim specials and such.

You should be fine leaving from Puebla de Sanabria. The trickiest parts from there to Santiago, ironically, are probably right at the start -- leaving from PdS's plaza (no markers) and this weird spot in the fields before you reach Terroso, the very next town. But the app will tell you how to get out of town and where to go in the fields!

Melanie

Thanks Melanie.

I had forgotten that it was an app and would be updated through the store. However, that now brings up the question of WiFi connection while walking on the VdlP.
1. Is the app (when downloaded) self contained on the device or does it require data connection for some or all functions?
2. What did you find about the availability of WiFi along the route? The availability along the CF has improved greatly over the past few years.
Ed

Thanks Melanie,
I downloaded it last night and have it on my iphone and ipad. I'll make sure and keep it up to date and would be more than happy to post comments as we go. It's a great community service for all of us.

Ed's questions were interesting - so looking forward to seeing your response.

iain

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry about my gap in responses! I must not be signed up on this forum properly. I get daily emails listing topics across all routes, and I assumed that it was a complete list. I read Iain's note to me there, for example, but I missed Ed's and the others that followed. Anyone know if this can be adjusted, or why all messages don't show? Grr!

Anyway, to answer Ed's and Stephen's questions:

1) Almost all of the app's functionality is there with or without Internet. What you can't access without it are the links to websites. I've got links to hotel/inn websites, city sites, those for museums and other attractions and even to some websites containing explanatory info -- say, a link to a site containing a detailed description of who the Templars were within an entry about a Templar church. But the pertinent info about those places is in the text; the link to the actual website is provided in case people want more info. The maps are scrollable offline.

2) Re: WiFi along the route, I'm not sure if you mean in the towns along the way or as you're walking. You can definitely get WiFi in most towns, I'd say, although I'm not sure how good it is along the route. This is part of my 2012 project; I only got an iPhone recently and was just using an iTouch before. And - stupidly - I was so busy taking notes and photos while I walked that I forgot to check the WiFi out in the country. (If I knew how to put in one of those embarrassed smilies, I would!)

3) Stephen, you have to have an iPhone, iTouch or iPad, although sometime this year it's supposed to be available for Droids, too.

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I've had a look through your App I've I've some questions that hopefully you could help me with. I'm not great with Apps so I apologize in advance if it's 'operator error'!.

1. I see the maps quite clearly but note that the route of the Camino is not marked on the maps. Is this right or am I missing something? You can use your walking directions but then you have to keep switching back & forth between the directions and the map and by the time I've zoomed in on the map again I've forgotten the directions! It would be much more helpful for the Camino to be on the map as maps aren't very useful if you don't know where you are supposed to go...

2. The Scrollable Map doesn't show the start and end destinations of the described route. ie 004Guillena to Castilblanco: I've zoomed right and and all the way out but I don't see the name Guillena anywhere on the map, nor any other town name... Perhaps they could be indicated by a large dot for both the starting point and ending point?

3. If I change the Filter to "Trail Segments" and Sort by "Name" = the info appears in walking order, but if under "Trail Segments" and Sort by "Route" it comes up with segment #24 first. Is this not contrary?

4. Is there a link from a Trail Segment, ie. 004 Guillena to Castilblanco, to that section's Lodging?

Thanks! Allison

thanks, Allison

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
miroslaw said:
I'm not happy with this. Why?...I'm scared that Camino Way will loose theirs soul.... .strange people... will know all about the way from their devices, no backpacks, the luggage will follow them in the camino taxi, and accommodation with double bed and swim-pool outside....a phone with gps or something. They walk all time checking their way in it. It looks like sleepwalking. .

I know those people too. We walk the same Camino but we are on different paths. It makes meeting people like you special. We will not talk about the others. I will ask you, "What inspired you today?" and you will understand.

Hi Allison.

Argh -- I'm frustrated with the maps, too. The Sutro Media people who write the app software are working on better maps. In the meantime, to answer your questions:

1. Right now we don't have the capability to overlay the path onto the maps, but that's in development. Until it's available, let me make a few points about what you have right now.

* In general, you'll be walking on the brown dashed lines leading north out of town. Of course they intersect with roads and sometimes there are several brown dashed lines, but for many trail segments all you have to do, really, is look at both towns and the brown dashed line in between and that's where you'll be walking.

* I walked the entire thing without any maps or guidebooks. For the vast majority of the time, you don't need them to find the trail, as it's very well marked. If you read the descriptions I wrote, they'll tell you if you'll be walking uphill, on gravel or dirt or asphalt, etc., which is similar info to what you'd see on a map. When there ARE tricky spots, I have special sections to tell you exactly where to go -- which hopefully is even more helpful than looking at a map.

2. I'll ask Sutro if they can do something about marking those starting and ending points. Originally the company used Google maps, which showed every town name, no matter how large or small, and were better maps overall. But Google wouldn't let users scroll maps offline (free), so they went with another provider whose maps aren't as good. So some of the small towns along the way are unmarked on the maps and/or don't show every single street in the town. They're aware of this, too, and are trying to find a better map provider that also lets you scroll through the maps offline (free), but it's not that easy yet. In the meantime, if you go to any trail segment entry and the town that pops up isn't named -- there's just a red dot by a cluster of white streets -- that's always the starting point. So in your example of 004Guillena to Castilblanco, the unmarked town that shows on the map is Guillena.

3. The Routes are the five main VDLP segments: Sevilla to Merida, Merida to Caceres, Caceres to Salamanca, Salamanca to Ourense and Ourense to Santiago. So if you're sorting by Trail Segment/Route, it pulls up those 5 segments in alphabetical order -- so the Caceres to Salamanca entries are first, then Merida to Caceres and so on. This sorting is mostly useful if you want to see everything in the app (trail segments, lodging, restaurants, etc.) in a given route.

Actually, I could probably get them to sort in walking order quite easily if I put a number before them. Duh! O.K., I just went to my app and did it. I'll send the update to Sutro when I'm finished with this email, and it'll probably take a week or two to come live for you to upload. So in about a week, start checking your App Store icon every day. At some point there will be a little '1' next to it, which means an update is available. Click on it, and this change will go live. (And thanks for bringing it up!)

4. I have lodging listed in two ways -- first, under the Lodging category, and second within each city/town entry. So if you know you'll end the day in Guillena and pull up that city's entry, I mention within it that Hostal Bar Frances is the main lodging in town, and there's a link to it right there. If people would find it useful for me to list all of the lodging options within each trail segment as well, I can certainly do that. It would probably take me a few days' worth of work, and then it has to go through Apple/iTunes to go live. If anyone is reading this, has the app and wants to chime in, please let me know. If enough people think it's a good idea, I'll get right to work.

On that note, please let me know of any suggestions any of you have. What makes sense to me in the app might not to others, and I'm happy to tweak this at any time to make it more useful.

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

I just wanted to pop off a quick big Thank You for such a detailed answer to all my questions. I will now spend some time playing with the App and work through all your points and see if I can't come up with a few more questions! :D

Cheers, Allison

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Melanie.
I noticed a new version was available - would you mind detailing what the changes were? Was this to do with your previous comment about maps?

Cheers,
Iain

I wish, Iain! No, the app-makers added in the ability to list the Facebook pages and Twitter names for the businesses along the way (inns, restaurants, hotels, attractions), so those are now included. I also updated a few stray bits of info here and there from comments pilgrims have been making the last few months (places that are now closed or about to open -- that kind of thing).

Melanie

Thanks Melanie.
I live in Sydney and I caught up with John Dawson at the weekend - he has previously sent you some comments. It's a global world.

Cheers,
Iain

coops3522 said:
Thanks Melanie.
It's a global world.

Cheers,
Iain

Shhh!

you will upset the Church.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having used the App from Sevilla to Santiago, I found it exceptionally good, it is very useful. Packed full of information and photos felt like having a very knowledgable companion, even enjoyed the americanisms. I had a really good camino, thanks Melanie.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Melanie,

One suggestion: in your Descriptions, would it be possible to also quote them in kilometers? Although I'm used to miles in the States, everything (obviously) is in kms in Spain, including how most people judge their distance, ie. knowing how many kms/hour they walk. Reading that a waymark will be in 5-6 miles didn't really mean much to me. :? And this will obviously help your international users!

Thanks, Allison

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back