Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

English language guide to Via Gebennensis?

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

BrianLCrabtree

Past OR future Camino
Not that I'm aware of. Just French and German. The Confraternity of Saint James website may be of interest as it lists some resources https://www.csj.org.uk/geneva-to-le-puy
Thank you. Would love to hear from some English-speaking, non-French-speaking pilgrims about their experience on the Gebennensis. I have taken a few lessons and speak what I sometimes describe as "restaurant menu" French, but I'm not conversational by any stretch. Is the Way sufficiently well marked that I am unlikely to get severely off course?

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Thank you. Would love to hear from some English-speaking, non-French-speaking pilgrims about their experience on the Gebennensis. I have taken a few lessons and speak what I sometimes describe as "restaurant menu" French, but I'm not conversational by any stretch. Is the Way sufficiently well marked that I am unlikely to get severely off course?
It is well marked.
If you Google Via Gebennensis, amongst the first few results you should stumble across my blog from a few years ago.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Walton

Past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
You could try downloading the free SayHi app and playing with that to see how it might be useful to you.

You speak into your phone in English and it translates what you say in French.

Your French speaker then speakes into your phone and you get an English translation.

I use it all the time to cheat during my Duolingo Spanish lessons 😂

If we are lucky enough to get to do the Via Francigena next year, I'm planning to use the app to cover up my pre-kindergarten French. Oh la la!!

BrianLCrabtree

Past OR future Camino
You could try downloading the free SayHi app and playing with that to see how it might be useful to you.

You speak into your phone in English and it translates what you say in French.

Your French speaker then speakes into your phone and you get an English translation.

I use it all the time to cheat during my Duolingo Spanish lessons 😂

If we are lucky enough to get to do the Via Francigena next year, I'm planning to use the app to cover up my pre-kindergarten French. Oh la la!!
Thanks, interesting idea. Works in Google Translate, too. That may help with for face-to-face interpersonal communication although I'm not so sure about telephone conversations. What I'd really like to have is an English version of the printed guide with detailed route directions and lodging information.

Walton

Past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
Thanks, interesting idea. Works in Google Translate, too. That may help with for face-to-face interpersonal communication although I'm not so sure about telephone conversations. What I'd really like to have is an English version of the printed guide with detailed route directions and lodging information.
Having an English printed guide makes total sense to me!

My German daughter-in-law says she thinks SayHi is very good for translation. Mind you she is fluent in English, French, German and speaks passable Italian. Now that woukd be handy for sure!

If you do find a good English guide, I would appreciate a heads up.

Cheers

Past OR future Camino
Is there an English language guide for the Via Gebennensis?
Q
It is well marked.
If you Google Via Gebennensis, amongst the first few results you should stumble across my blog from a few years ago.
also check out walkinginFrance dot info where you will find under the section pilgrim ways some useful info for the Geneva - le Puy route.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads