• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English language guide to Via Gebennensis?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not that I'm aware of. Just French and German. The Confraternity of Saint James website may be of interest as it lists some resources https://www.csj.org.uk/geneva-to-le-puy
Thank you. Would love to hear from some English-speaking, non-French-speaking pilgrims about their experience on the Gebennensis. I have taken a few lessons and speak what I sometimes describe as "restaurant menu" French, but I'm not conversational by any stretch. Is the Way sufficiently well marked that I am unlikely to get severely off course?

Thank you. Would love to hear from some English-speaking, non-French-speaking pilgrims about their experience on the Gebennensis. I have taken a few lessons and speak what I sometimes describe as "restaurant menu" French, but I'm not conversational by any stretch. Is the Way sufficiently well marked that I am unlikely to get severely off course?
It is well marked.
If you Google Via Gebennensis, amongst the first few results you should stumble across my blog from a few years ago.

You could try downloading the free SayHi app and playing with that to see how it might be useful to you.

You speak into your phone in English and it translates what you say in French.

Your French speaker then speakes into your phone and you get an English translation.

I use it all the time to cheat during my Duolingo Spanish lessons 😂

If we are lucky enough to get to do the Via Francigena next year, I'm planning to use the app to cover up my pre-kindergarten French. Oh la la!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could try downloading the free SayHi app and playing with that to see how it might be useful to you.

You speak into your phone in English and it translates what you say in French.

Your French speaker then speakes into your phone and you get an English translation.

I use it all the time to cheat during my Duolingo Spanish lessons 😂

If we are lucky enough to get to do the Via Francigena next year, I'm planning to use the app to cover up my pre-kindergarten French. Oh la la!!
Thanks, interesting idea. Works in Google Translate, too. That may help with for face-to-face interpersonal communication although I'm not so sure about telephone conversations. What I'd really like to have is an English version of the printed guide with detailed route directions and lodging information.

Thanks, interesting idea. Works in Google Translate, too. That may help with for face-to-face interpersonal communication although I'm not so sure about telephone conversations. What I'd really like to have is an English version of the printed guide with detailed route directions and lodging information.
Having an English printed guide makes total sense to me!

My German daughter-in-law says she thinks SayHi is very good for translation. Mind you she is fluent in English, French, German and speaks passable Italian. Now that woukd be handy for sure!

If you do find a good English guide, I would appreciate a heads up.

Cheers

Is there an English language guide for the Via Gebennensis?
Q
It is well marked.
If you Google Via Gebennensis, amongst the first few results you should stumble across my blog from a few years ago.
also check out walkinginFrance dot info where you will find under the section pilgrim ways some useful info for the Geneva - le Puy route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back