• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English leg of Camino.

• Thread starter Former member 102963
  • Start date
F

Former member 102963

Hi all. Article in todays UK media.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...go-starting-in-reading?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Sounds great, start and finish very close by train to London and very close to London Heathrow Airport. Start very close to Windsor Castle and lots of other walking alongside the Thames River in the beautiful countryside. And some of the most beautiful pubs imaginable. Sorry for the advert, it’s where I live when in UK (the area not the castle or the pub!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for sharing, that looks like a nice route. If there were a boat from Southampton to A Coruña or Ferrol (a quick look on Rome2Rio doesn’t show any), that would really be a fun pilgrimage to undertake.

Ue
Thanks for sharing, that looks like a nice route. If there were a boat from Southampton to A Coruña or Ferrol (a quick look on Rome2Rio doesn’t show any), that would really be a fun pilgrimage to undertake.
Yea great point. Southampton (and Portsmouth nearby) has a ferry port and Southampton has an airport so could play around about with some options!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The traditional part of the route over the water from Southampton or Portsmouth would be via one of the ports in Northern France, or Bordeaux, or any of the ports in Northern Spain between more or less Bilbao and A Coruña.

If I were to go that way, I might get a morning ferry to Saint Helier in Jersey, spend a day there visiting plus fish and chips for lunch, they're excellent, and some of the great local beer, then an evening ferry to Saint-Malo, where there is a variety of lodging available at various price points, excellent moules marinières, then walk from there.

The traditional part of the route over the water from Southampton or Portsmouth would be via one of the ports in Northern France, or Bordeaux, or any of the ports in Northern Spain between more or less Bilbao and A Coruña.

If I were to go that way, I might get a morning ferry to Saint Helier in Jersey, spend a day there visiting plus fish and chips for lunch, they're excellent, and some of the great local beer, then an evening ferry to Saint-Malo, where there is a variety of lodging available at various price points, excellent moules marinières, then walk from there.
Great post. Appetite whetted!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was possible to take cabin space on merchant ships docking at Vigo from the commercial harbours in Southampton. In a similar way it istill possible to take cabin space on the banana boats travelling to and from the caribean. If you were UK armed forces or family memeber it was (and possibly still is) to take space on the Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships departing Portsmouth to Gibraltar. My family has traveled on RFA ships to and from my fathers Royal Navy postings around the Med and the far east.

It was possible to take cabin space on merchant ships docking at Vigo from the commercial harbours in Southampton.
There was a proposal several years ago for a ferry route between Vigo and Cork with a stop en route in the UK. I've heard nothing more recently so I think the plan may have been a victim of COVID and other events.

Thread 'Ferry between Cork & Plymouth and Vigo starting in 2020' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ork-plymouth-and-vigo-starting-in-2020.64734/

This sounds like a good plan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.