• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English Way - start from Sarria or Ferrol??

Homan75

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 english way
Hi everyone, just wondering where to start. I am doing the English way in March.
Here is my provisional itinerary! Can anyone help let point me in the right places as i have alot of questions!
This is what i think the itinerary should look like but is this doable?!

15:35​
Arrive Santiago
16:00​
Shuttle bus to Santiago City from airport. Bus runs every 30mins. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE
17:00​
From Santiago Bus Station, take direct bus to Ferrol (1.5hours)
19:00​
Arrival Ferrol
pilgrim passport - GET THIS AT THE ST JAMES OFFICE IN TOWN BEFORE WE GO
ACCOMMODATION?
Friday, FERROL TO PONDEDEUME 29KM

08:00​
Depart Ferrol
Start at Port, pass monastery (San Martino de Xubio), coastal path. From here, track continues to Way of Salto, at banks of Eume
Estuary, join Camino Real or Royal Way.
Lovely beach at A.Magdalena to relax.
14:00​
Arrive approximately 2pm
STAY WHERE??
Accomm:
Saturday, PONTEDEUME TO BETANZOS 19.5KM

Depart Pontedeume
Trail climbs - great views over Betanzos, Ares and Ferrol. Continues on to Miño by way of Medieval stone bridge over
Baxoi river and Camino Real. Travel along coast to wide estuary of Lambre river on a path that has lovely views of the
Rias de Betanzos and surrounding marshlands. The town of Betanzos - historical, nice buildings.
STAY WHERE??
Sunday, BETANZOS TO BRUMA - MASON DE VENTO 27.5KM
Wake Up
Depart Betanzos
Cross river by way of ancient bridge of As Cascas. From here train passes the villages of Matino and Boucello
Pass abandoned hermitage of San Paio, travel through agricultural lands to village of Bruma which is the site of a Medieval Hospital.
STAY WHERE??
Monday, BRUMA-MASON DE VENTO TO SIGUEIRO 24KM
Wake Up
Depart Bruma-Mason de Vento
Leave Bruma from the chapel - head into green area of Ordes. Pass church of San Xiao and village of Casanova on way to Sigueiro.
STAY WHERE??
Tuesday, SIGUEIRO TO SANTIAGO 16KM

Depart Sigueiro
Cross bridge over Tambre river. Path follows river and come to English fountain (Fonto de Ingles)
From here pass Maixonfirio. You will soon come to pre Roman fort.
Legend holds that passing pilgrims should lay a stone on the pile.
Arrival at Santiago Cathedral!
Obtain Certificate! HOW??
14:15​
Check in Santiago Airport

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone, just wondering where to start. I am doing the English way in March.
Here is my provisional itinerary! Can anyone help let point me in the right places as i have alot of questions!

Your itinerary looks like a a punctual German railway itinerary. Just in time !
Arrive Santiago
Shuttle bus to Santiago City from airport. Bus runs every 30mins. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE.
The airport is close by .
Arrival Ferrol
You mean in Santiago ? The busstation is a good 20 minutes walk to the pilgrims office. So better buy your ceedential here at Ivar's webshop on line.
In Ferrol I never heard of a St James office but I can be wrong.
ACCOMMODATION? Plenty ! Ask the tourist office or booking.com or AIRBNB

Depart Ferrol
Start at Port, pass monastery (San Martino de Xubio), coastal path. From here, track continues to Way of Salto, at banks of Eume
Arrive approximately 2pm
STAY WHERE??
Accomm:

In Pontedeume walk over the bridge and turn left. After 100 meters is the albergue

Depart Pontedeume
Trail climbs - great views over Betanzos, Ares and Ferrol. Continues on to Miño by way of Medieval stone bridge over
Baxoi river and Camino Real. Travel along coast to wide estuary of Lambre river on a path that has lovely views of the
Rias de Betanzos and surrounding marshlands. The town of Betanzos - historical, nice buildings.
STAY WHERE??
In Betanzos right in the center is the albergue

Wake Up
Depart Betanzos
Cross river by way of ancient bridge of As Cascas. From here train passes the villages of Matino and Boucello
Pass abandoned hermitage of San Paio, travel through agricultural lands to village of Bruma which is the site of a Medieval Hospital.
STAY WHERE??
At hostal Meson Novo in Meson do Vento or the Bruma albergue

Wake Up
Leave Bruma from the chapel - head into green area of Ordes. Pass church of San Xiao and village of Casanova on way to Sigueiro.
STAY WHERE??

In Sigueiro are several possibilities to stay among others the new Miras hostal. Look back on this subforum and you'll find the answers

Depart Sigueiro
Cross bridge over Tambre river. Path follows river and come to English fountain (Fonto de Ingles)
Obtain Certificate! HOW??just queu up in line with other pilgrims at the pilgrims office and wait till it is your turn to go in and prove by the number of stamps you collected that you walked one hundred kilometers without no interruption.
Tight schedule ! You miss the pilgrimsmass, do not see the Botafumeiro swinging.

I do not know where you are from but if I were you I should spend a day extra in Santiago to see all specific camino things.

Good luck. In the coloured part you see my answers in between the lines

Here's a link to the shuttle bus - it takes 20 minutes from the airport to the bus station - but the bus might be a few minutes late and the journey might take a little longer
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion3a.php

You might have to start earlier and/or walk quickly on your last day - the bus starts from a few minutes walk south of the Cathedral (Pza de Galicia) , meanders down to the railway station, then back up to the bus station via the ring-road before going to the airport and so takes 45 minutes

You collect your certificate at the new Pilgrim's office - keep going past the Parador and then first right - there will hopefully not be too long a queue at that time of year

A good place to start looking for accommodation is here
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-ingles

The Northern Caminos guidebook covers the Camino Ingles - and you can even buy individual chapters as pdfs
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/9781852847944.cfm#.VpfWV_mLRD8

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bus from airport about every 20 minutes. I suggest you look at the Confraternity of St James guide written by our very own Johnnie Walker for accommodation information.
Personally I think that the Ingles makes a better introduction to the Camino and prefer it to the route from Sarria on the Frances. However that is just my opinion and influenced by it having been my first experience.
I have no idea how old you are or how fit. I have twice walked those stages comfortably in 5 days.
You get your compostela at the new Pilgrim's office.
I also think that departing SDC the day you arrive would mean missing much of the experience available arriving there and the feelings it evokes. Please don't short change yourself. You will be putting in the effort, reap all the rewards.
Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino.

Arrive Santiago
Shuttle bus to Santiago City from airport. Bus runs every 30mins. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE
Arrival Ferrol
ACCOMMODATION?

Depart Ferrol
Arrive approximately 2pm
STAY WHERE??
Accomm:

Depart Pontedeume
STAY WHERE??
Wake Up
Depart Betanzos
STAY WHERE??
Wake Up
STAY WHERE??

Depart Sigueiro
Obtain Certificate! HOW??
I walked from Ferrol in 2013. Pontedume to Betanzos is a tough walk. 3 steep back to back to back assents and dessents right out of Pontadume. Used Johnny Walker free guide book. I understand there are more options for sleeping now.. yea. We checked in at the tourist kiosk on the waterfront and started there. Very plesent walk to Pontafume. There is or was a nice albergue about half way to Pontadume. Real nice albergue in a 14th century building in Betanzos. It's close to the round cathedral near the main square.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm with you about choosing your starting point in Ferrol over Sarria but your schedule is going to be quite a test of your endurance, several of the climbs are extremely taxing. I walked last year at a relaxed pace for 7 days. The guide that Johnnie Walker wrote has trail notes, profiles and good information about places to stay. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
May i throw in my two pennies worth please lol ..By reading your Litinerary between the lines it sounds as if your in a rush to start and finish it , chill , relax and enjoy the experience .. I did it last year for the first time and gave myself 8 days and at the end i never wanted to leave so this year i be doing it again .You missed out the lovely Albergue of Neda about 7 miles out of Ferrol by far the best one i stayed at with picnic benches outside over looking the river etc and of course the burger van ...The worst stage from Bar Julia to Burma with that steep climb which seems to go on and on ..You can download
Johnnie Walker's route with details of all the accommodation to your phone as this may be an invaluable guide .... So enjoy , stay safe and don't be in a rush to leave Santiago as there is no plaque there

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back