• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enough time between flights?

Susan M Fron

SusanM
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (August 2019)
I am traveling from the US Chicago to London Gatwick via Norwegian then on to Biarritz. My flight gets into London Gatwick at 11:35 a.m. and the flight to Biarritz on EasyJet is at 1:50 pm. will I have enough time to make the connection? I will be carrying my pack not checking it.

Does anyone have experience flying with Norwegian? I've never flown International before and they have the lowest price.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am traveling from the US Chicago to London Gatwick via Norwegian then on to Biarritz. My flight gets into London Gatwick at 11:35 a.m. and the flight to Biarritz on EasyJet is at 1:50 pm. will I have enough time to make the connection? I will be carrying my pack not checking it.

Does anyone have experience flying with Norwegian? I've never flown International before and they have the lowest price.
I'm not familiar with that airport, so can't answer the question, but here's a traveler article about the risks of separate tickets from TripAdvisor that I recently posted on another thread about connecting at Heathrow.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...s:Connecting.On.Separate.Airline.Tickets.html

Hi Susan.

Well the good news is that in my experience with the benefit of the jetstream flights coming from the west into London tend to be on time or early.

Not so good is that it looks as if you'll have to change terminals, Norwegian uses South Terminal and Easyjet the North Terminal but it's a very quick 5 minute monorail ride to get between the two. I'd say even if your flights come into and leave from the fartest apart stands on the airport you could comfortably get from one to the other in half an hour.

If you haven't already I'd download the Easyjet app (assuming you have a smartphone) so you can have your boarding pass on there, ready to go.

Gatwick guidance here.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Susan.

Well the good news is that in my experience with the benefit of the jetstream flights coming from the west into London tend to be on time or early.

Not so good is that it looks as if you'll have to change terminals, Norwegian uses South Terminal and Easyjet the North Terminal but it's a very quick 5 minute monorail ride to get between the two. I'd say even if your flights come into and leave from the fartest apart stands on the airport you could comfortably get from one to the other in half an hour.

If you haven't already I'd download the Easyjet app (assuming you have a smartphone) so you can have your boarding pass on there, ready to go.

Gatwick guidance here.

Good luck and Buen Camino.
After reading the link, it sounds as though I should make it. I will be carrying my pack so I would go through customs in Biarritz, correct? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, Susan!

I've heard good things about Norwegian though I've never flown it.

And I believe you'd go through immigration control in London - in my experience immigration control always takes place if you're landing after having flown internationally. You may or may not need to go through customs.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

After reading the link, it sounds as though I should make it. I will be carrying my pack so I would go through customs in Biarritz, correct? Thanks.

I'm not actually sure as I've never transferred through Gatwick. I think if your onward flight was from the same terminal you might get away with it but as you're leaving airside I guess you'll have to go through customs in London and again in Biarritz.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It seems like plenty of time to me. As @Dorpie said, there's a sky train that runs between the two terminals, and it's quick and frequent.

Thanks for all the inout, but I've stil gotten conflicting information. I nay just fly to Paris and travel to sjpdp from there.

As a general rule, I recommend that you allow more time than you think. Add more time to change airport terminals. If you must change terminals, you must usually reclaim your luggage and repeat the check-in and security processes again. This is all inconvenience and wasted time in my view. So, factor in time for that as well.

For an international to intra-EU connection, I would not advise less than a two-hour connection window. Even that could be cutting it tight if there are delays in baggage reclaim, passport control, or a need to change terminals.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts. If you make the choice to fly bargain airlines, into lesser airports and to connect with third party airlines, not in partnership with the carrier that brought you over the pond, the money you saved will be consumed as added time to navigate the processes.

For reference, I try to use a combination of American Airlines and Iberia (a codeshare partner) to get where I need to go in Spain. I could use British Airways too, as they are also in the One World Alliance. Alternatively, I will use United Airlines and their Star Alliance partners, like TAP and Lufthansa.

However, I do this to avoid UK airports like the plague. I find them inconvenient and 'higgely-piggely' organized. On balance, and over 45-years traveling to and from Europe, I found that wasted far too much time changing terminals and checking in and out when I connect in the UK. I always try to get into the Schengen travel zone, on the continent, directly from the US.

Hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The main issue is that you are flying on separate tickets. If you miss the second flight the airline has no obligation to rebook you onto another flight. You will probably have to purchase a new ticket.

Hi Susan,

I have flown Norwegian (but only around Europe) and they were just as timely as any other airline. That said, you will have to go through passport control in London, go out of the secured area, check in for the flight to Biarritz, and go through security again. I've done the separate ticket thing numerous times to save money (it's a great option for the budget-conscious) but two hours is NOT enough time to make the transfer in my opinion. If I were doing it, I'd want at least three, and that's without having to go through passport control. Better safe than sorry because you never know when your flight will actually arrive and how long passport control will take.

Feel free to reply if you have further questions!

Last edited:
I have on occasion purchased non connecting flights. However, when I have done so, I have either allowed 4 hours between flights, or stayed overnight in the connecting city, since one needs to rest from jet lag anyway. Allow for airport delays, bad weather, etc.

Because Great Britain is not one of the Schengen countries you will have to go through customs both in England, and, then again, on the continent.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have on occasion purchased non connecting flights. However, when I have done so, I have either allowed 4 hours between flights, or stayed overnight in the connecting city, since one needs to rest from jet lag anyway. Allow for airport delays, bad weather, etc.

Because Great Britain is not one of the Schengen countries you will have to go through customs both in England, and, then again, on the continent.
Not according to their website https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/flight-connections/

A lot of the confusion and contradictory comments concerning this topic have to do with the fact that a) there is a fundamental difference between transit zones in European airports and US airports and b) in Europe, a lot simply depends on the physical layout of the airport, ie some large airports are built in such a way that you can move from your non-domestic arrival gate to your non-domestic departure gate without going through passport and/or customs and some are built in such a way that it is not possible.

I, too, had a look at the Gatwick website. You are right, in theory you don't have to but in reality I don't see how this can possibly work IF you have to switch between South and North Terminal which would be the case for your flights. I also see that they have this GatwickConnects option and that EasyJet and Norwegian have some kind of special cooperation for international flight combinations through Gatwick such as yours but I can't make head or tail of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you sure that you're able to do the online check-in for the EasyJet flight and get your boarding pass printed out so that you can do the transfer this way? I'm skeptical that it's as easy as the Gatwick website makes it sound--I've always had to go out then back in because I wasn't booked on one through ticket, and I think the info you found on the Gatwick website only pertains to people who are booked on one ticket, not booked on two completely separate reservations. I ask about being able to do EasyJet's online check-in because I was not able to do RyanAir's online check-in because I don't have a European passport and they required me to check in in person. Of course, EasyJet could be different. I say all this because I don't want you to end up missing the EasyJet flight and losing all the savings because you have to buy a new ticket.

I took a look at the GatwickConnects option that Kathar1na mentioned and it looks like it's a premium service that you'll likely pay extra for, but I could be wrong. Perhaps contact them directly?

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't try this connection. I would try checking to see if there are any later flights to Biarritz (check skyscanner.net). If you're budget-conscious for your transatlantic flight, check other major European cities. I've had good luck finding inexpensive flights to Amsterdam and Frankfurt.

I hope this helps!

I took a look at the GatwickConnects option that Kathar1na mentioned and it looks like it's a premium service that you'll likely pay extra for, but I could be wrong. Perhaps contact them directly?
FWIW and out of curiosity, I tried to make such a booking (via EasyJet Worldwide) but it never worked for any of the dates I tried for Chicago-Biarritz. It does work for Los Angeles-Biarritz for example, ie you get some kind of combined booking for Los Angeles-Gatwick-Biarritz with Norwegian as first flight and EasyJet as second flight and the GatwickConnects option costs $28.88 but it's all included in one price/one ticket and the connection is guaranteed (cancellation, delay, rescheduling). May be interesting for some travellers.

Last edited:
Puzzle solved I think. There are apparently transfer buses airside at Gatwick. Quote: "If you only have hand baggage and you have the boarding card for your onward flight then you should not need to go through immigration and customs etc.There is a flight connections facility airside, and buses to take you between the terminals although it isn't as well signed as at Heathrow. You will need to go through security though."

1518803210404.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will continue my search. I need to contact Norwegian because they have changed my flight times by several hours causing me to miss my connection at Gatwick. They will allow cancelling and I may just do that. Thanks to everyone.

Puzzle solved I think. There are apparently transfer buses airside at Gatwick. Quote: "If you only have hand baggage and you have the boarding card for your onward flight then you should not need to go through immigration and customs etc.There is a flight connections facility airside, and buses to take you between the terminals although it isn't as well signed as at Heathrow. You will need to go through security though."

View attachment 39469
This may be good news.

This is what I found on gatwick website https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/flight-connections/ Sounds as though I only have to get to the east jet terminal, no customs or passport control.
Susan when I sent you the Gatwickairport info on another post, I did not realize that you did not have luggage to check. According to the website, in theory, you should be able to transfer without passport control. Honest , I have gotten to another terminal and still had to have my passport checked again!?
.....and had to go through security. I would sincerely urge you to allow yourself, more than two hours between the two flights. If you miss the connection, the new ticket will likely cost a lot more as it will be a same day ticket.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...ss-than-30-minutes-to-go-a7055511.htmlThought this may get interest you.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Best of luck, @Susan M Fron . From what I understand you booked the two flights separately so the following links may be of no interest to you but maybe to others. It's a press release from Norwegian, explaining their cooperation with EasyJet at Gatwick (a system different from the code sharing system). In the PR version for UK readers, they mention a 2 hour 30 minutes ‘Minimum Connection Time’ for their passengers' transit (= domestic to international) at Gatwick:

UK press release:
https://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pr...-on-new-worldwide-by-easyjet-platform-2144984
US press release:
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/us/norweg...s-european-routes-as-airlines-partner-2144743

A few of the prices for their transatlantic flights are unbelievably low!

Last edited:
Best of luck, @Susan M Fron . From what I understand you booked the two flights separately so the following links may be of no interest to you but maybe to others. It's a press release from Norwegian, explaining their cooperation with EasyJet at Gatwick (a system different from the code sharing system). In the PR version for UK readers, they mention a 2 hour 30 minutes ‘Minimum Connection Time’ for their passengers' transit (= domestic to international) at Gatwick:

UK press release:
https://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pr...-on-new-worldwide-by-easyjet-platform-2144984
US press release:
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/us/norweg...s-european-routes-as-airlines-partner-2144743

A few of the prices for their transatlantic flights are unbelievably low!
I have tried to use this option and haven't had any luck finding what I need. Since they've changed my flight times, I have the option to cancel. That may be a good thing.

Last edited:
All good recommendations above.... BUT, (from an airline pilot of nearly 40 years) despite having a fairly quick and easy connection at Gatwick, the originating flight can be many hours late, causing you to misconnect. Weather or other unexpected delays can occur. If you miss your connecting flight this will result in you losing what you paid for the connecting flight ticket AND you wil need to buy another ticket at whatever the price a last minute fare is... if there is space on the flight. I misconnected at Heathrow with a 4 hour connection on my way to my Camino two years ago. Because both flights were on the same ticket I just caught the next flight with no extra expense.

You can save money by purchasing 2 separate tickets, but allow more than ample time for the connection, have at least one backup plan and be prepared to pay if the plan goes awry. You basically need to ask yourself if you are willing to accept the risk.

After a long trans Atlantic flight you will likely be pretty wiped out as well. Getting a hotel and adequate sleep will enable you to rest up and get going on the connecting flight the next day and get to SJPdP feeling much better and without the added stress.

I've found a flight from Chicago to London Heathrow, to Biarritz, through Madrid all on one airline. All connections are in the same terminal at the respective airports. I think this will solve the problem. I have attached the flight information. But haven't booked yet. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-18-22-32-16.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-18-22-32-16.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 25
If you are going through Madrid why not consider a ticket with a flight to Pamplona or, go to Madrid and take the bus or train to Pamplona. It might be faster....
I hate going through Heathrow...and August will be a zoo! The Good news the security is tight, the bad news it is chaotic. If you can avoid Heathrow do!

Hi Susan, I think your layover times are too tight, a general rule is 2 hours and you've got less than that in both Heathrow and Madrid. From recent experience I will in future allow 3 hours and suck it up if I have to sit around. Your first flight only needs to be to 15 mins late and your probably going to be in trouble. On my way home recently my first flight out of Madrid was 1 hour late which meant we would have missed our next connection, 2 hour layover, they wouldn't even let us on the plane. After an hour full of misunderstandings our 8.30am departure became a 10.30pm departure on an inferior airline flying a completely different route! It was also late and we were running to make all subsequent connections. Not fun and Ihope you have better luck!
Madrid has 4 or 5 terminals requiring a bus or train ride between them and that can take time to work out and complete successfully. Cheers and good luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Marbe2 has a good point, we caught the bus to Pamplona from Madrid and found it quite straight forward and enjoyed the ride. Whatever you decide on I can recommend researching the airport before you go so you've got an idea of where to go and how to get there. Cheers

I've found a flight from Chicago to London Heathrow, to Biarritz, through Madrid all on one airline. All connections are in the same terminal at the respective airports. I think this will solve the problem. I have attached the flight information. But haven't booked yet. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
If you don't mind changing planes twice, this looks perfect to me. We discussed the ins and outs of booking with the same carrier/code sharing carriers and transiting on international flights at Heathrow thoroughly, so no real problems there. Arrival time in Biarritz is late afternoon which gives you the option of even making it to SJPP if that's what you want to do.

PS: I hope it's a good price for you ...

Last edited:
I had difficulty seeing all the details. You may have planned to do so (?) but I wanted to suggest one additional concern when booking. If you book directly with the airlines they will readily take care and if you are delayed...and with multiple flights that does happen...especially during heavy travel season! If you used a resource like Kayak.com they do often provide competitive prices directly from the airlines. If you miss a flight and another airline becomes the carrier, you may have to contact the booking agent to make the change. Many of the discounters take an hour or more to reach...or you may not get them except via email...so consider all of these factors when booking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This was found on Skyscanner. It is Iberia, all flights. That should make a difference at the airport and with any possible delays.Does it matter who I am purchasing through? Am I missing anything?
If you don't mind changing planes twice, this looks perfect to me. We discussed the ins and outs of booking with the same carrier/code sharing carriers and transiting on international flights at Heathrow thoroughly, so no real problems there. Arrival time in Biarritz is late afternoon which gives you the option of even making it to SJPP if that's what you want to do.

PS: I hope it's a good price for you ...
Thank you. The price is good, includes checked bags. I have been hearing all the worst cases it madesme wonder if it's worth it.

This was found on Skyscanner. It is Iberia, all flights. That should make a difference at the airport and with any possible delays.Does it matter who I am purchasing through? Am I missing anything?

Thank you. The price is good, includes checked bags. I have been hearing all the worst cases it madesme wonder if it's worth it.

Hi, Susan,
Iberia doesn't fly from Chicago to Heathrow, so what Skyscanner is showing you is the codeshare Iberia lists. The actual flight will be BA or AA, I assume, and from London to Madrid probably Iberia or BA. You can check to see if the other partners offer the same price or a cheaper one. I usually fly Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, but I always book it through American. Since I am always more concerned about getting to the camino than about getting home from the camino without glitches, I book with American because their US-based customer support is far superior to what you will get if you have to call Iberia for help from the US. That said, I have never had anything but excellent in-person service from Iberia personnel in Spain, even though I am always flying on an American Airlines ticket.

Iberia flies nonstop from Chicago to Madrid and it would avoid the London transfer. The more transfers, the more opportunity for delay or missed flights. And you didn't say what you were planning to do on the return, but you might check the multi-city option to see how much it adds to the price of your round trip ticket to add on a flight from Santiago to Madrid. Makes it much easier, and will save you a full day of travel. I leave Santiago early in the morning and am on the flight back to the US a few hours later. When I used to take the train down to Madrid, it meant adding another day and hotel and much more hassle.

€149,-

Two hours is usually enough of a layover on international flights. I can’t speak to the specific airlines you are flying with. I’d search online for ontime performance for your flight. You can usually find this information.

It does make a difference who you book it through! Skyscanner is giving you different options to book through discounters, such as vayama, cheapoair, one travel.com, or sometimes as, with kayak.com, also the airline directly. As a general rule I try to book trips through the airlines. Now, if everything goes perfectly, booking through these discounters can save you money. However, if you need to make a change, or there is an airline delay you may have to be calling or emailing a discounter who may take hours or a day to get back to you...leaving you up in the air while you are unable to get on other flights. If you can find similar prices or even a decent price, book directly with the airline. Also you may find additional charges for seating for making the airline reservations with the discounters.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.