• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enough time in Santiago?

michal.don

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2022, Camino Francés - April 2024
Hello, so far it looks like I'll be able to get to Santiago early afrernoon on thursday and my flight home will go on friday morning. Do you think I'll have enough time to get my compostella and hopefully attend a pilgrims mass? I read that sometimes the compostella might not be ready on the same day, and in regards to pilgrims mass I found conflicting information. Would really appreciate your insight,
Thanks,
Michal

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, so far it looks like I'll be able to get to Santiago early afrernoon on thursday and my flight home will go on friday morning. Do you think I'll have enough time to get my compostella and hopefully attend a pilgrims mass? I read that sometimes the compostella might not be ready on the same day, and in regards to pilgrims mass I found conflicting information. Would really appreciate your insight,
Thanks,
Michal
All I can say is that yes, you will get your "to-do" items done... and a year from now you will ask yourself why you didn't plan on more time in SdC....
I've had several arrivals now, and I always aim to have at least 3 days and I STILL have not made it to the museum of Galician culture, nor to the pilgrimage museum...
I have had the Parador lunch (though I think maybe that does not happen anymore with the new online/QR method. Does anyone know?
And I managed a pilgrim suite once at the Parador in the winter season...
Highy recommend San Pinario as great location with rooms at a range of rates from relatively swanky to tiny pilgrim cell.
Anyway.... if you can possibly... you will find your way back. There is so much more to see and EAT!
buen camino...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you should have time to do your appointed tasks. But, one of the joys of Santiago
is walking around the plaza and greeting people that you know that have just completed
the hike. I would check the plaza 2 or 3 times a day and would always find someone I knew
from the hike. Of course, if you are a really slow hiker and would be the last person to
arrive at Santiago, this technique doesn't work so well.

Just depends on how late you arrive and how early you have to get to the airport. I recommend... if you are physically able... do a long day a day or two before and do a a shorter day into Santiago so you can arrive earlier in the day. Getting the compostela doesn't take as long as it used to, but time depends on whether or not the "system" where people pre-register is fully operating that day. Last year - it was not working so well and I had a longer wait. This year I pre-registered earlier in the day and got in and out really fast (late June - so it was busy that day). As for the mass... the noon mass you need to arrive very early for on many days - like be inside 1 1/2 hours before the service is set to begin. I have had no issues getting in to the earlier or later masses... just the noon mass seems to be over crowded. The only other problem you may have is you can NOT take your backpack into the Cathedral - so allow time to drop it off at your albergue before you attempt to go into the Cathedral. If you albergue doesn't hold luggage until check in - there are a few other options to drop off luggage while you visit the Cathedral. Anyway - if you can time things to arrive by noon - then you should have plenty of time to do both AND say goodbye to your Camino friends.

Thanks,
Michal
I arrived in SdC at 1430 today October 31st. I enjoyed seeing pilgrims coming into the plaza for an hour. I checked into my hotel and then went to the Pilgrim Office at 1630. I was #4 in line. The office was nearly empty. I found everyone helpful. The QR scan was slow so I was encouraged to fill out the paper form. Everything took less than 30 minutes to get my Compestela. It was a pleasant experience. But am glad I accomplished that upon arrival so tomorrow I can enjoy the noon mass.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Perambulating Griffin , @isawtman , @jeanineonthecamino , I know that having just an afternoon there is far less than ideal. I planned to spwnd more time there, but I had to slow down considerably because of troubles with by very, very tired legs :) thank you all for the sugestions, I hope this will not be the last time I visit the city, so, hopefully next time :)
Thanks,
Michal

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.