• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enough time to catch plane?

g4grace

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Spring 2016)
Good morning,

I am flying into Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport May 17th at 8:45 am. Do you think I have enough time to catch the flight to Biarritz leaving CDG at 10:50 am? I would have 2 hours to get thru customs and to next departure terminal? I know it all depends on customs, but hearing others experiences with same would help me decide before purchasing ticket.

Thank you for your help. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you book a through ticket its more the airlines problem than yours. Two hours should be enough assuming your flight lands on time. You can check out actual as opposed to scheduled landing times here http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do
Thank you for such quick response, Tincatinker. It is not a through ticket. The flight to Biarritz is a separate booking as I booked return to/from Paris CDG earlier as it was much cheaper for me to fly from Canada into CDG than Biarritz.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It depends on flight arriving on time

It depends on getting your baggage in a timely manner

It depends on getting through customs in a timely manner

Then you have to get from your arrival terminal to your departure terminal. CDG is big. I'd be looking at a map of CDG airport. You need to include time for this too.

Then you have to go through check-in and security to board your next flight keeping in mind that they won't let you board within a specified time of departure ...

So 2 hours seems like it might be enough time ... but it depends on everything working like clockwork and Murphy's law applies.

I'd be uncomfortable with it. Most airlines recommend you are at the departure terminal 2 hours in advance.

The risk is you miss your flight. What is plan 'B'? Can you 'eat' the price of your ticket?

Ok, thank you. I think I'll forgo the flight ticket to Biarritz from CDG and take the train instead. Will cost me more to do it that way for sure and possibly add an extra day to travel, but a more peaceful state of mind will make up for that inconvenience. Thank you again for your help.

I certainly would not like to try it as I have arrived in CDG many times and have travelled from CDG to Biarritz as well and I know what a circus it is going through check in and security for that flight. There can also be delays at baggage claim when you come in to CDG. As someone else has already pointed out, you also need to make the journey between the two terminals. Give yourself some peace of mind and take a later flight or even one the next day. There is an EasyJet flight from CDG that leaves at around 7am most mornings. You could book a room at one of the airport hotels and maybe have a day strolling around Paris. I do realise that budget is an issue with most of us but if you are happy to pay the money for the hotel room, it would certainly be a more comfortable method of making the transfer. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good morning,

I am flying into Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport May 17th at 8:45 am. Do you think I have enough time to catch the flight to Biarritz leaving CDG at 10:50 am? I would have 2 hours to get thru customs and to next departure terminal? I know it all depends on customs, but hearing others experiences with same would help me decide before purchasing ticket.

Why not take the train from Paris to Bayonne if the flights dont match up. I know of others who have done this

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Those flight times may change slightly over the next month also. My exchange in Atlanta started at an hour and half. Within a couple of months it was down to 30 minutes in between. I had to schedule an earlier flight to Atlanta to make up for it.

Good morning,

Hello from Burlington. I am taking the same route but flying Air Transat YYZ to CDG on May 24. Unfortunately flight is too late on May 25 for the morning Easyjet but there is one later at 2.30 which gets into BIQ at 3.30 or so, just in time to miss the 4.00 train to SJPP so I will take the 6.00pm and get in to SJPP at 7.10.
Last time I went from CDG to Orly in the Air France Bus to make an earlier connection . Schedule was 45 mins but actual 2 hours. Talk about unnecessary stress so this time will just sit around CDG for 3 hours. The fare on Easyjet with checked bag was under Cad$100.
With increased security and a CDG terminal change I would not try for the early Easyjet. Dont know if you are returning from Porto but only 3.5 hours by early bus from Santiago and you can catch same day 1.40 flight on AT to YYZ. Cdn $640 round trip!
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having almost missed my flight doing a similar thing at the Madrid airport, in my opinion 2 hours is too little time.
If it was a small airport, sure no problem, but CDG? No way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back