• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entering Burgos

Turga

Camino tortuga
Time of past OR future Camino
🐢. . . . . . . . .
From what I can see on Gronze.com, it seems that there is an alternative to the ”standard route” into Burgos, that will take you away from the industrial areas and into a nicer walk following the river.

It looks like you have to take a left turn towards Castañares somewhere between Orbaneja Riopico and Villafría.

My question is, if the point where you have to turn to follow this alternative route is clearly marked and if the route itself is well marked.

Gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From what I can see on Gronze.com, it seems that there is an alternative to the ”standard route” into Burgos, that will take you away from the industrial areas and into a nicer walk following the river.

It looks like you have to take a left turn towards Castañares somewhere between Orbaneja Riopico and Villafría.

My question is, if the point where you have to turn to follow this alternative route is clearly marked and if the route itself is well marked.

Gracias.
Hello ,
the path is marked (perhaps not ideal) and is significantly more beautiful than the "original"

Attachments

• burgos1.jpg
    burgos1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 108
  • burgos2.jpg
    burgos2.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 103
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Turn left by the apartments immediately after crossing the bridge (before the airport!). When that long path re-enters the city in an industrial area, head straight across the main road and you’ll hit the river. It’s NOT well-marked but definitely worth the time to find it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The "standard" route is not really industrial it does pass large numbers of garages, furniture stores, hairdressers, cafe/bars, used car dealers, unidentified office buildings, clothing emporiums, and food stores. Decidedly better that the exit route from León since there are no sleazy appearing bars and the sidewalks are level ! The river route is by far the better choice.

The advice others have offered is super. But by way of reassurance, I was fine just following the description in Brierley.
The initial turn-off is hard to miss.
What is more opaque is that once you go past the airport and enter Castañeres, you have to go straight across the main road and eventually around the right side of a small factory - frames 11-19 of this post:
https://www.docdroid.net/h1osXOV/burgosriverway.pdf
Once you cross the footbridge over the Rio Arlanzon, just keep it on you right and you can't go wrong!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We took the river walk into Burgos after the seemingly endless walk around the airport fence that goes on and on and on. Lol! It wasn't too hard to find.
Something like the endless walk around the airport in Santiago where once the security people in their jeep cast a very scrutinous eye over this lone pilgrim slogging along.

Thank you all very much. This forum -or rather the amazing people that make this forum- never fails.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We took the river walk into Burgos after the seemingly endless walk around the airport fence that goes on and on and on. Lol! It wasn't too hard to find.
As I recall, If you find the turn off, which is easy to miss, you avoid the long walk around the airport.

As I recall, If you find the turn off, which is easy to miss, you avoid the long walk around the airport.

Sorry -which turn are you referring to, the left turn after the bridge walking out of Orbaneja?

What is more opaque is that once you go past the airport and enter Castañeres, you have to go straight across the main road
And depending on exactly where you cross I seem to recall that I had to go a few metres left upon crossing the main street in Castanares, to get on the street to the factory. There was a sign but not prominent. Tell locals "Quiero ir al río. Donde está?"

I am also confused by this. You need to go by the airport (unless maybe if you walk the highway). If you turn left after the bridge, just before the apartments, the airport will be on your right.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi C Clearly, You are correct. Once you turn left, just before the modern apartments, you continue along that road and you will eventually see that the perimeter of the airport is on your right. You're walking on a gravel road at this point. What stuck out in my mind was that there was little infrastructure on part of the trail and then suddenly there seemed to be modern apartments. You might even be able to see other pilgrims that have taken that path. For two other gentlemen and myself, the confusion came when we tried to get across the highway to the path that led along the river. There seem to be many ways and it was a bit of guesswork. As long as the river is on your right, you are okay. It is a long walk in, so don't think that you've missed something.

As long as the river is on your right, you are okay.
Except... that there are portions with walking trails on the other side too. Along the route there are several (3?) bridges. It is true that if you have the rover more or less in sight, you will be fine.

Except... that there are portions with walking trails on the other side too. Along the route there are several (3?) bridges. It is true that if you have the rover more or less in sight, you will be fine.
Yes. In fact someone helped me save some time at one point by telling me not to follow the river exactly but to just stay in the park and keep it generally on the right.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I missed the turn-off and noticed the airport fence on my left. I was easily able to back-trace along the airport fence and go around it. Just remember to keep airport fence on your right.

Note that the river can flood and make the route impassible in early spring.

-Paul

I took the alternative route .
I did not find it picturesque but dirty, long, and monotonous.
Maybe better than other route but definitely drawn out and a bit dodgy, if on your own, or have a moaning brother (are we there yet) with you.
The idea of staying in the park and keeping river on your right sounds a good one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, took the correct alternative route exactly, the park improves nearer the Cathedral but in my opinion down in the scrubland beside river its dirty and isolated we did not see one other pilgrim so if your walking alone in a city it can be threatening then again just an opinion but beware.
P.S. it was raining heavily that might have clouded my rose tinted glasses slightly.

Ah, well, I was there on a Sunday and met tons of local people out for a run or with their dogs. It was a delight from start to finish. But I will definitely agree with you about the distance. It seemed to go on for quite a ways.
P.S. it was raining heavily that might have clouded my rose tinted glasses slightly.
Edit - Yeah. Rain is like that. I had dogs and happy people so that had the opposite effect. The truth may be someplace between our individual impressions.;)

Last edited:
the park improves nearer the Cathedral but in my opinion down in the scrubland beside river its dirty and isolated
I agree that the first part of the park after Castanares was a bit "iffy". I've done it twice, so I didn't find it too bad. However, it occurred to me that 'next time' I would consider staying on the road out of Castanares until I get to the first opportunity to turn left and cross the river. Then walk along the left side of the river until the bridge to the cathedral.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.