• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entering France with a "Deported" stamp in my passport

PartManPartGoldfish

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April, 2016)
Hopefully this is the right place to put this question.

A couple of years ago, I accidentally overstayed my time in the United States by 2 days after mis-booking my outbound flight. I then returned to the United States at the end of last year, learned that I'd overstayed after arriving at immigration, and was then sent back to Australia the next day.

The problem now is that I have a "Deported" stamp at the back of my passport.

Does anyone know if this will make it unlikely that I'll be allowed into France? I'll have my outbound flight booked before I arrived, and I think I look like a typical hiker (with hiking poles, sleeping bag, etc), but with the heightened security in France, I'm a little worried that border control might be strict.

I'm guessing no one can offer me a definitive answer to this question, but if anyone has any experience or thoughts, I'd love to hear their input. :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my times (70s), what we use to do is go to the police to say , I loose my passport and we get a new one , obviously your name could still be on the registers books of UK .
But it usually work that way , today there is computer information and could be different .
But you can try if you wish !
It's up to you ( sorry if you don't like my proposal ).

Buen Camino!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

A couple of years ago, I accidentally overstayed my time in the United States by 2 days after mis-booking my outbound flight. I then returned to the United States at the end of last year, learned that I'd overstayed after arriving at immigration, and was then sent back to Australia the next day.

Does anyone know if this will make it unlikely that I'll be allowed into France? I'll have my outbound flight booked before I arrived, and I think I look like a typical hiker (with hiking poles, sleeping bag, etc), but with the heightened security in France, I'm a little worried that border control might be strict.

I'm guessing no one can offer me a definitive answer to this question, but if anyone has any experience or thoughts, I'd love to hear their input. :)

I have been removed from the USA after staying out of the country with a green card
For too long. I only have trouble when I go back to the States. It takes about an hour in the naughty line and I am allowed back in.
My advice to you as an Australian is to lose
Your passport and get a new one. I know it's expensive but it's best to get rid of that deported stamp. There is little passport control in Europe. I don't think anyone would care or certainly there would be no record on the European computers.

I would check with the French border authorities and as suggested you might consider accidently losing your passport, if you find that they will not let you in with the deported stamp in your current passport.

This said there is a fair degree of sharing between border authorities like the schengen and the US, but how much depends Is anybody's guess. Furthermore there seems to be a process to transfer previous border violations between passports. For example we overstayed our time in the schengen area by one month, and even though we returned the following year with new passports, the German authorities took a bit longer to process our arrival.

Last edited:
I do not know Australian practice, but if a Canadian loses a passport while abroad, the replacement emergency passport usually only has a 72-hour validity from issue, so as to enable you to get home immediately--so you should check with Australian passport. It also means that applying for your next passport is a more cumbersome process. In recent years, authorities have become too aware that there is quite a trade in "lost" passports, and are getting quite strict about them. I suspect that you might be better off just explaining (if asked) that the notation was on account of a minor irregularity on account of a booking error. Another poster's suggestion to check this out at the French consulate in your area might be a good way to anticipate problems.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to clarify my previous post, to lose your passport is not recommended for all the reasons suggested by others.

Furthermore at least with some countries past border activity seems to get transfered between passports. In other words, even if you show up with a new passport, select border authorities know of past violations.

I suspect we will see more digital sharing of this type of information

Just to clarify my previous post, to lose your passport is not recommended for all the reasons suggested by others.

Furthermore at least with some countries past border activity seems to get transfered between passports. In other words, even if you show up with a new passport, select border authorities know of past violations.

I suspect we will see more digital sharing of this type of information

I know Canada is like that for US citizens convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) or other crimes, you won't be able to enter Canada with one on your record.

No one here will be able to give you advice that you can bank on.

'but the folks on the forum said I could' *lip quiver and tears* isn't going to carry much influence with French border control.

Caleigh suggested contacting the French consulate ... and I would echo that suggestion.

'losing your passport' is a criminal act if its done fraudulently.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The real question is: Whose computer is it on? If he got red stamped in the USA, will French border control know? Will they care that you got deported from the USA?

The real question is: Whose computer is it on? If he got red stamped in the USA, will French border control know? Will they care that you got deported from the USA?
This particular topic comes up frequently in the OPED of the Friday Jerusalem Post, always bad stories to try and warn others making the same mistake. It's common for young Israelis to go to America and at times over stay their welcome and hence getting 'red stamped' . Replacing the passport used to be the way to get around this but in one story I recall this young lady did just that, flew to New Zealand for a new adventure and was stopped at the airport and sent back home. Apparently the US and NZ share information and I suspect it goes a lot farther than that. The best thing to do is to contact the country's embassy and check it might save for an unfortunate experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I won't choose to lose my passport on purpose, but I am curious as to whether or not my deportation will be in their system. I've done a lot of Googling and haven't found any mention of people being deported from the USA and then having trouble getting into Europe. (Some people seem to have trouble getting into the UK, but that's a problem for another time.)

Would still love to hear anyone's relevant experiences. :)

I have had the extreme misfortune, some may say outlandishly fuzzyheaded, to have put my passport twice through the clothes washer. Both times I had to get a new passport. I did not think it was real cool to return to the office to get a new passport with a 2nd one having been washed. I just said I lost it and the USA quickly replaced my passport....again.

I worked in the Middle East for five years. You do not get a passport stamped in Israel if you want to work and travel easily in the Gulf states. You kindly ask the people in Israel not to stamp the passport; they don't; and no one is the wiser in the Gulf states. There are all kinds of things that we do to avoid trouble.

Yours is a particular issue that is easily handled by calling - without giving your passport number, etc. - and ask the French consulate about your concern. That is the surest, quickest, safest way to get an answer that will arrest all your concerns and anxiety. Alternatively, you could just forget to take your passport out of your pants and wash it - warning - you will forever be known as a dunderhead. Take the washed passport to the office, explain your predicament and Viola, you have a new passport.

I would probably call the French embassy, get the answer that you are worrying too much, and then replace the passport for good measure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[...]I would probably call the French embassy, get the answer that you are worrying too much, and then replace the passport for good measure.
The French might raise an eyebrow but are probably lenient to a person with a USA "deported" stamp in the passport if there is no legal infraction reported in France (or the EU for that matter). :p

The French might raise an eyebrow but are probably lenient to a person with a USA "deported" stamp in the passport if there is no legal infraction reported in France (or the EU for that matter). :p
It might even be considered a badge of honor!

Hopefully this is the right place to put this question. The problem now is that I have a "Deported" stamp at the back of my passport.
Does anyone know if this will make it unlikely that I'll be allowed into France? I'll have my outbound flight booked before I arrived, and I think I look like a typical hiker (with hiking poles, sleeping bag, etc), but with the heightened security in France, I'm a little worried that border control might be strict. I'm guessing no one can offer me a definitive answer to this question, but if anyone has any experience or thoughts, I'd love to hear their input. :)
First you are correct - it is the "right" place for your question and Yes - you are correct in that it is highly unlikely you will get a definitive answer here - unless we have an immigration lawyer on tap (Hi Kanga!!).
My 10 cents - contact the nearest French embassy/consulate if you are "really" concerned. I suspect the answer will be "as long as you comply with EU/French law (Shengen Visa 90 days in any 180 days) you will be OK". (Just to clarify the Shengen Visa - you can stay within the EU (excluding the UK) for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days. Overstaying this rule will get you deported and may even result in your Australian Passport being confiscated until you reach a Shengen exit point). Best wishes for Buen Camino.:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My advice to you as an Australian is to lose your passport and get a new one.
Trude - very poor and somewhat illegal advice. In fact if Immigration in Australia suspected you had deliberately "lost" your Australian Passport they may choose to not issue you with a replacement. Also given the cost of Australian Passports - somewhere north of $250 AUD its a very expensive process.
Further comment: yes getting a new Australian Passport will get rid of the "Deported" stamp - and will be nice if you are travelling to Europe/UK and most other places. BUT as far as the US Immigration and Naturalisation Service (INS) are concerned they will still have you on file and you will need to answer a long list of questions (in Australia) BEFORE they will provide you with a new entry visa).

Given the unfortunate recent spate of terrorist attacks - not only here in France, but also in other EU countries - you never know when a spot check might be carried out. I live on the Swiss French border & every now and then the 'flying squad' will descend on a small border post (or a km or so from the border) to carry out these spot checks. Always always have your paperwork in order. Suggest contacting the French authorities for more (and legal :rolleyes:) advice.
Suzanne :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A badge of honor is getting booted from the United States?
Only if you intend not returning any time soon. In fact you can not even transit the US (say via Hawaii) on your way to Canada, if you are prohibited from entering the US.

Only if you intend not returning any time soon. In fact you can not even transit the US (say via Hawaii) on your way to Canada, if you are prohibited from entering the US.

Yeah, getting deported is definitely no honour. I'm not banned from the USA, but I do have to get a visa before entering again. Previously, I could use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the county without a visa, but I no longer have access to that, which is a darn shame.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear any more responses, but in either case, I'll let everyone know what happens in the end. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A badge of honor is getting booted from the United States?
It was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment on how other cultures, and arguably the French in particular, view the US. No offence to anyone was meant. Perhaps I should have put a smiley face to make it more clear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I won't choose to lose my passport on purpose, but I am curious as to whether or not my deportation will be in their system. I've done a lot of Googling and haven't found any mention of people being deported from the USA and then having trouble getting into Europe. (Some people seem to have trouble getting into the UK, but that's a problem for another time.)

I have not had the personal experience of being deported. I have found life is easier if you play within the rules.

I have seen people overstay visas while participating in Spanish Language courses.

One young lady went to Gibraltar for the weekend and wasn't seen again ... they didn't let her back into Spain because she had overstayed and therefore didn't meet the Schengen 90/180 restrictions.

One young lady in Spain was a victim of a crime (B&E) and couldn't go to the authorities for fear of being deported.

One young man in Mexico overstayed his visa by two days. He tried to extend his visa and was eventually able to do so ... but the only reason he wasn't deported was because he had gone to the authorities and was able to claim the office was closed on the day of ... it wasn't because he had been found out. They sure gave him the administrative brow beating leaving him in limbo for several days while the matter was decided.

I met an older woman on the Camino who was in overstay of Schengen. She had purchased a ticket and assumed the travel agent had ensured visa requirements were met. She was clueless that this was her responsibility. No idea what happened to her.

And, I had to pay a hefty reciprocation tax when I went to Argentina. Several countries including mine had imposed visa restrictions on all Latin American countries because of too many people in overstay of visitor permissions. In response, most of said Latin American countries have imposed a reciprocation tax. It goes to show how overstay is a crime that affects all of us who travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't say if your concern is getting into France to begin with; i.e., are you flying into Paris from somewhere outside the EU? Or is you concern just getting to St Jean from Spain to start your Camino? In the former case, I would do as others have suggested and contact the nearest French consulate to seek the "official" answer. In the latter case, there shouldn't be a problem unless things have changed recently. We rode the bus from Pamplona to SJPP, and the only way we knew we were in France was when the signs along the road switched from Spanish to French -- no formal border crossing with passport checks, etc. If you walk the Napolean route from SJPP to Roncesvalles, the attached photo shows the border crossing along that route. As you can see, not a lot of security there.

Attachments

• IMG_0729_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0729_640x480.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have absolutely no experience in this but have been told by border security in Canada that it is always better to be upfront and honest than having them find out something you were trying to hide and the problem becoming a lot worse. As others have mentioned I would contact the French consolate in your home country for advice. Maybe there is even a letter or something they will give you should you be detained when arriving in France.
Hope this helps.

Some great advice on here!

I'd add that some countries landing cards have a declaration where you have to state if you have ever been deported from anywhere, so even if you did get a new passport, you'd have to be honest on this form.

I know that Aus, NZ, USA, UK and Canada all share immigration information. That's why it's now possible for citizens of these countries to enter some of the others via smart gates or e-gates.

I guess you just have to be honest. I see no reason why you won't be given the opportunity to tell your story to customs, that it was an honest mistake, and nothing too bad.

I read that some people advice you to say the passport is stolen.
If you are at the moment in your passport country, I think it is easier just to
" by accident " pour some coffea or redwine over your passport and go to your passport office and ask for a new one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Forget Googling and this Forum and ask the French if you can you travel trough their Country. If you did that in the first place you would be able to give the correct advice to others in the same situation, and not a load of rubbish about loosing passports.

You already know the price of a return ticket to Australia and if your are that flush with money be sure to come back to the Forum and we will willingly give you advise on how to donate it to good causes :) :):)

When you do get over here enjoy your Camino and let us know what you did do.

Buen Camion
Oldman

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back