• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entering Najera in the rain

wichanee

If it is still raining today, you should consider walking on the road above the track leading into Najera especially those of you who wear sneakers. I have been slipping so much on the slogging red mud that I cursed myself for not climbing up on the bank and walk up there.
It is very chilly last night in Najera. Rain in Sto de Caldaza.
The white chickens are doing well when I last looked in at 7 pm.
Beun Camino all of you perigrinos and perigrinas out there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Glad to hear you are hanging in there despite the weather, wichanee.
Your spirits seem good!
What has your experience been with food, lodging and the level of foot traffic on the camino. Is it busy?

What has your experience been with food, lodging and the level of foot traffic on the camino. Is it busy?[/quote]

Food is OK, although it's sunday and difficult to find a menu de peregrino, but we found in Najera, and it was good. Walking was very good untill it started raining in the afternoon. And traffic is a problem because it seems to be overcrowded, although the last beds in Najera were given around 6 in the afternoon. So the same story every day, get up early and rush for a bed ! Lots of germans on the way.
Jupp

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Today it's Wednesday, it must be Burgos!

I need to warn you guys out there on reaching Burgos.
I have read with careful attention about the Burgos approach both on Lonely planet's Walking Spain and Walking the Camino by Bethan Davies and try my best to follow their alternative route. Alas, the terrain must have changed and either the abandoned military post or the airfield was located on today's walk so we had to follow the yellow arrow as our lifeline which means the most boring trek through Burgos's industrial suburb into town. I saw at least 6 perigrinos jump in the bus heading to Burgos when we hit the main road. Wish I had done the same.
A friend who has done the river approach reported of no better fate, what with super giant container trucks whizzing by in every direction and mad drivers who try to overtake even at the blind bend. I would never repeat my walk on that stretch again!
Is it possible that someone (or the Fraternity of St.James) takes a serious look at this approach and do something better than sending us on such a mindless drag into town?
If you have reached town on better route, you are lucky!
And if you are thinking of posting your warm clothes to SdC because it is now end of May, think again. It has been freezing cold in Najera, Sto Domingo and Belorado. Weather forecast doesn't look great either until the next week when the cold front from France is supposed to pass through.
Wild flowers and bird songs are exceptional. Heard Cuckoo chirpings on the way up from Atapeurca all the way. What a sweet voice to accompany you when the wind is trying to push you off the mountain!
Buen Camino all!

why are you sounding so precious - you can't expect to walk across a whole country on paths/roads that can cope with the volume of pilgrims on the Camino and not come across a few uncomfortable stretches - and don't even think about getting the bus

Still in Burgos

Sounding so precious?
I reread my post again and can't see how you reached that conclusion.
I spent sometime on extra rest day here in Burgos and thought the walk into town could be through the riverside as suggested buy several guidebooks. Given choices of either dragging your feet on the 7 kms path along the busy highway or the greenery along the riverside, even the toughest peregrinos would choose the later, methinks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
wichanee, I am enjoying your posts from the Camino itself very much. I am glad there are pilgrims who are able to post while on the route, who are not afraid to say truthfully how they are finding things. Joys will be mixed with difficulties. Please keep up these honest posts and know that they are appreciated.

Erm... don't most Spanish cities have industrial outskirts? As Spursfan says, it's only for a short stretch... Probably no more than an hour on foot.

My harsh words were intended for those that took the bus so quickly - for me, knowing that the train would be the last transport I would use apart from walking for the next few weeks meant that it was easy to resist such temptation

And the brief grim suburbs made me appreciate the wonderful tranquillity of the path for all the other hundreds of miles

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
grim outskirts

As Minkey says you take the rough with the smooth on the Way.

Surely it is the time to use the other beautiful experience of the Camino and engage in conversation with a fellow pilgrim, when you meet someone really interesting you can get so lost in listening to their life stories that you soon forget your surroundings. The commercial freeway will be forgotten as you learn and gain from the insights of others.

Thats my experience anyway.

Minkey said:
Erm... don't most Spanish cities have industrial outskirts? As Spursfan says, it's only for a short stretch... Probably no more than an hour on foot.
That's true for Pamplona, Logrono, Leon and Santiago, but Burgos is more than a short stretch and you start thinking why they can't find another solution for a 100.000 pelgrims a year... Idem for the very dangerous crossing of a highway just before reaching Leon.
Lahav

There's an alternate route to the entrance to Burgos, which I took in mid May after the suggestion of a fellow German pilgrim. It's probably longer by about 4-5 kms., but avoids the boring industrial area. It's marked, albeit not too prominently, leaving the main route to the left near Castañares, passing near a military base and after that, just a few kilometers of ugly boring sights until it reaches a park area and continues alongside the river all the way to the city. Just beautiful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Entrance to burgos

Hi Wichanee, I've heard the walk into Burgos is dreadful, and while I understand how you felt. Although have to say I, along with many other pilgrims, followed the CSJ's advice and took the bus for the last 8 kms. If the CSJ recommends this, I'll go along with it!

The Camino is often said to be a microcosm (or metaphor) of Life. It is not pretty scenic trails throughout. Yes there are the dangerous crossings and dreary slogs into town but it's all part of the Camino package, I think. No different from the wide open hot meseta experience. I have learned during the walk to accept that fact.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back